Hunt buttons?

SueAllen

Visit site
When are these awarded to someone in your hunt? I got mine recently (over the moon!) but was very surprised as I have only been hunting for 4 years, albeit enthusiastically - last one home, manage 90% of the meets etc. Interested to hear about other hunts. Trouble is now I've got to sew them on to my jacket...!! :p

Starbucks

Visit site
I got mine when I was quite iccle - about 12 I think. :grin: No Collar 13 years later though... don't think I pay them enough! :p

In our hunt it used to be quite prestigious, but now they seem to dish them out quite freely. Our hunt is quite skint though so I think it's all about the cash! :p

speedbird

Visit site
I got mine after about four years, they obviously think you deserve it ! Some people hunt for years , don 't do anything else and don't get them, some people hunt for only a few years but help with raffles, point to points, puppy shows ,fence building etc and therefore earn them and deserve them. It also encourages you to stay with that hunt and support them !

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
As Speedbird says it is nothing to do with how long you have been hunting or how much money you have and everything to do with how useful you are both on the hunting field and off - if you are a useful and considerate member of the field, if you help newbies out hunting and if you muck in with fund raising, help organise events etc.
It is a great honour to be awarded the collar and buttons of your hunt. Congratulations.

SueAllen

Visit site
I very much considered it an honour. I do anything I can to help on the field, I attend and help out at some of the fund raising events - I think they are very important to the running of the hunt and most members should do something towards them. I also get sponsorship for the annual hunt show. No mean feat and I whinge about it every year and every year threaten to give it up!! In giving me my hunt buttons they have ensured my loyalty in this for a little time yet!!! :grin: :grin:

Eagle_day

Visit site
Sue, it is of course an honour and you have earnt it. Quite rightly, they have gone to someone who puts the work in. And it's hard to emphasise how important that is: without volunteer labour hunting would be soon doomed, and with it it has survived more than 3 years into the ban - mainly because of that solid bedrock of support.

We went through a spell of awarding buttons to subscribers of 3 years, but no more. I got mine more than 20 years ago, because of puppy walking, fence building, covert laying and helping at a host of social functions. No fuss was made, just, "Andrew, you can put your buttons up now." One of the proudest moments of my life.

Eagle_day

Visit site
Oh, about sewing them on ... a slightly curvy lady with us generated 200 quid a year or more for the hunt from bursting out in falls.

Now I'm not insinuating anything about your stature, but I've always used plaiting thread, preferably with another button the other side of the coat. It that makes sense..