Hunter or riding horse

Visit site
Hi all, I’m finding it difficult to work out what type my 3yo sporthorse is. People around me say he is just in between a hunter and riding horse.
I went to a small local show and the judge said he was more hunter then riding horse... typically I showed him that day as a riding horse.
Then last week at a royal county show we were placed 2nd in a very large class of hunters... perfect so I thought I had been given the right information.... wrong. On the same day he was placed 1st as the riding horse and took reserve champ 👌🏻🎉 but now I’m confused! 🙄
Any help or advice much appreciated!
Thanks

A8521330F-086A-4F05-BCF9-290BB97D7829.jpegED168F18-6D8C-4216-A3DD-9B0934B76607.jpegB045EFC3-9432-406E-BF0A-38D157950A9A.jpeg

be positive

Visit site
As a young horse he can get away with both classes, he is a correct type so will appeal to judges and placings will depend to an extent on the quality of the others in the classes, to me he looks as if he will mature into a hunter more than a RH but until he goes under saddle there is no harm in doing both with him.
Well done at the county show and I must say he is turned out beautifully and in good, not fat, condition.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
What's the actual difference? Surely a horse that hunts (A hunter) is still a ridden horse? I might be being stupid here...

He;s lovely OP, congrats on your results.

it's just types for showing classes - difference movement/level of refinement, not my speciality ;).

conniegirl

Visit site
OP, I think at maturity he will be a LW hunter. But for now there is no problem doing both classes.

? Surely a horse that hunts (A hunter) is still a ridden horse? I might be being stupid here...
The class is Riding horse not Ridden horse.

A riding horse sits between a hunter and a hack (and that is a type of horse not just any horse that can hack out) in terms of frame and type with the hack being an ultra refined normaly high TB type (http://theshowring.info/Hacks.htm) and the hunter being heavier, normaly with some Irish blood in them though some Warmblood breeding is now becoming popular.

Mule

Visit site
OP, I think at maturity he will be a LW hunter. But for now there is no problem doing both classes.

The class is Riding horse not Ridden horse.

A riding horse sits between a hunter and a hack (and that is a type of horse not just any horse that can hack out) in terms of frame and type with the hack being an ultra refined normaly high TB type (http://theshowring.info/Hacks.htm) and the hunter being heavier, normaly with some Irish blood in them though some Warmblood breeding is now becoming popular.
The hacks look very fancy. I'd say you'd pay a lot of money for a good one.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sorry - a quick question as the showing people are on this thread.

I'm not going to show her but I always wondered if CM was a Hack or a Riding horse? She's a smidge over 15.2hh, anglo-arab.

SAM_0959_zps5acb2679.jpg

be positive

Visit site
She is similar in type to my old pba who I showed as both a RH and hack but really didn't quite fit into either, although he did win a lot of classes he was not quite right to go to the top levels.

conniegirl

Visit site

I'm not going to show her but I always wondered if CM was a Hack or a Riding horse? She's a smidge over 15.2hh, anglo-arab.

SAM_0959_zps5acb2679.jpg
I'm more a pony person but I'd say hack if she has the movement for it, you can get her measured in under 160cm's and she is schooled well enough for it (at county level you will need to do a show and have the horse ridden by a judge)

Visit site
int

SAM_0959_zps5acb2679.jpg

I'm with AA on this. In show condition this horse would be a small riding horse. There is just a bit too much about her to be a hack and defos doesnt have a hacks head.

You can also do part bred arab classes and some shows (usually the arab shows) have classes sepcifically for Anglo's.

The horse in the OP will be a hunter in time. But for now show him in both where you can to get the miles on the clock.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for the comments about my mare. It's been interesting reading. :)

I agree that she would fit the Riding Horse category rather than Hack. I don't think she has a typical Hack head and she is just a bit too chunky and slightly too tall, I would have thought. As someone above said, Hacks are usually fine TB type.

oldie48

Visit site
Do you mind if I jump on this too? I understand that Rose was shown in hand as a 2/3 yr old in hack classes, just locally nothing grand. Would she still be classified as a hack or is she a riding horse? She's just under 160cm and does have very nice paces, active and floaty with a good shoulder. I'd quite like to do some small shows with her next year but am unsure what we'd be able to do.

Attachments

• rose abbey.JPG
    rose abbey.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rose bling 2.jpg
    rose bling 2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 24

be positive

Visit site
Do you mind if I jump on this too? I understand that Rose was shown in hand as a 2/3 yr old in hack classes, just locally nothing grand. Would she still be classified as a hack or is she a riding horse? She's just under 160cm and does have very nice paces, active and floaty with a good shoulder. I'd quite like to do some small shows with her next year but am unsure what we'd be able to do.

At local level there are very few, if any, hack classes so RH makes sense, the turnout for the horse is much the same for both although the rider in RH usually wears tweed whereas hacks are shown in navy jackets, if she could squeeze under 158cm she could be a useful small RH but at local level they are not likely to be split.

windand rain

Visit site
Locally you will be unlikely to get hack classes so all the horses shown on this thread are riding horses at this level at affilliated they are a bit of a mix as it depends on turnout and way of going too