Hunter showing help needed

wench

Visit site
Ok decided to enter local county show in ridden hunter classes. Not up on showing at all
frown.gif

Does ridden hunter mean my horse will have to have a coloured browband on a hunter bridle, or a normal one.

Is tweed or black best for me to wear?

Finally, does a novice horse have to go in a snaffle, or can it be a pelham. I am presuming that a "normal" class they have to be in a pelham?

CrazyMare

Visit site
He needs to be in a plain, flat bridle. Tweed is best for you.

I *think* novice hunters can be in either a double/pelham/snaffle. Opens he should be in a double/pelham

SSM

Visit site
I would suggest you do a couple of local shows before going for County level (- do you have any photos?)

Tweed, navy beagler, cream shirt, tie, biege or corn breeches and full boots, plain double bridle with hunter noseband, showing saddle and leather girth.

Good luck

SSM

Visit site
I would do 'local/armature' first just to get an idea of what is expected! You will be up against the big boys at County level!

SSM

Visit site
DO NOT PUT YOURSELF DOWN - again a 'local' show in advance and you are prepared, the first few I did I had so many faux pas - sure I still do!!

ajb

Visit site
Echo SSM, go and do some local stuff first to get ring practice and some experience in riding in a group and "showing yourself" off to the judge etc, I did my first county show last year and did a few local shows to see what I and he needed to do..be aware that depending on what show it is the atmosphere will be electric with loads of "extras" like fairgrounds, hunt parades and motorcycle stunt teams etc all goingon while your showing!!..even in novice you will be up against the big guns giving their baby horses an outing so remember to ride positively...snaffle is fine in local level shows but at county you would expect to see even novice hunters in either double or pelham...best of all enjoy...pic of me if I can post it..dont do as I do, remember to smile!!!...also get others to ride your horse for you so they are ready for the judge... in my pic I should have had a navy hat or leather harness which I have now!!

[image]
edenandox.jpg
[/image]

asbo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Echo SSM, go and do some local stuff first to get ring practice and some experience in riding in a group and "showing yourself" off to the judge etc, I did my first county show last year and did a few local shows to see what I and he needed to do..be aware that depending on what show it is the atmosphere will be electric with loads of "extras" like fairgrounds, hunt parades and motorcycle stunt teams etc all goingon while your showing!!..even in novice you will be up against the big guns giving their baby horses an outing so remember to ride positively...snaffle is fine in local level shows but at county you would expect to see even novice hunters in either double or pelham...best of all enjoy...pic of me if I can post it..dont do as I do, remember to smile!!!...also get others to ride your horse for you so they are ready for the judge... in my pic I should have had a navy hat or leather harness which I have now!!

[image]
edenandox.jpg
[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

can i just say, phower
grin.gif

hoping to do some hunters with jay, just to get out & away from sjing
grin.gif

wench

Visit site
this is horse in question....

DSCF0007.jpg

goes quite nicely in a pelham when i tried it before. Maybe had better just stick to the novice classe then. will look up some local shows to go to then.

ajb

Visit site
he looks a nice lad and very pretty!!...you will need to loose a lot of the mane and trim everything for County level...as SSM said I made a fair few gaffs in the early part of the year and certainly wouldnt have felt confident in the ring at County without the battering I took earlier in the season!!...also depending on when the show is remember to fly rug as hes bay to keep his coat from bleaching!

wench

Visit site
not sure if he does or not. was sold as tb x id, but have had comments is he tb x cb or pure tb? could be any really! The pic was taken when he was more hairy than he is now, but only pic I have to hand of him, without posting a link to website of pics.

asbo

Visit site
gosh he looks like jay from the side
grin.gif

hes lovely, you need to post a pic when all pulled & trimmed
grin.gif

wench

Visit site
i take it your horse is called jay?

His mane is pulled atm.... still looks like a birds nest though. His legs are a bit hairy atm, but when his summer coat comes through its all coming off!!!