hunter trial fit

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I have a 9 year old section d who I want to conpete in a hunter trial in 4 weeks time, its a 2ft3 class and he is capable of 3ft3+. He is not currently unfit but I wouldn't say he is fit enough.

He hasnt been out of work for over 18months, during the winter he was worked 6/7 days per week, mostly twice a day. This included use of the walker for twenty minutes a day, then either a hack for 45ish mins mainly in walk, 30 min schooling session w/t/c, lunging in pessoa for twenty mins, hour jumping lessons monthly. He was stabled 24/7 for a lot of the winter. Now the hacking has increased to an hour plus walk and trot, schooling for 45 mins, hour jumping lesson two or three times a month. He is now out during the day.

The hacking around us is flat and mainly road work. There is one field I can canter around which is on a hill, also our school is 30mx90m so big enough to do some interval training but is obviously flat and not very interesting.

I would like some advice on what else I can do with him over the next 4 weeks.
thanks in advance.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I got a bit confused by your post and how much work he is actually doing.

Do you know what the course is like? Ie, roughly how long it is, is it flat.. You need your horse to be able to canter for that length of time easily.. Discount the horsewalker, I don't really count that as exercise. Try and get out daily, build up your hacks so that you are doing more trotting. Start doing longer canters in the school, perhaps as interval work. Add some canters on the hill, going up and down is good practice for XC.

zaminda

Visit site
I would look at extra canter work, maybe look at interval training. I would also try and jump once a week, as I have found galloping fit and jumping fit to be quite different.

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Sorry for the confusion, the first part is what we were doing over the winter to give a background on what he was doing.

The second bit was what we are doing now. The course is relatively flat, there are a few hills but they are only a slight incline.

Thanks for the advice.