Hunter Trials Advice

Helga1980

Visit site
I'm a XC virgin but have decided to take the plunge and do some HT's and am now a little stumped about the preparation needed
confused.gif

M is reasonably fit (ridden for an hour 6 days a week - 2 hacks, 2 schooling, 1 jumping, 1 lunging) and all the HT's are unaff with courses of 2'9 - 3' over 1.5 - 2.5 miles.

How important are each of the following (sorry for the randomness):

* Canter / Interval training - M's stamina isn't the best so suspect that this is pretty important!

* Boots - Use open fronted tendon boots and fetlock boots for SJ and the WOOF double locking brushing boots for hacking, do I need to invest in a 'proper' set of XC boots?

* Leg Ice / Cooling Gel - so many of these on the market, are they really important at this sort of level?

* Studs - use 1 in each shoe for SJ on grass, someone has suggested that I should have 2 in each hind for XC, is this really necessary?

Sorry for the length and stupidness of the questions - I only know about SJ and dressage
blush.gif
blush.gif

THANKS

H-J

www.piczo.com
Fitness is very important in the respect of their cadiovascular fitness and fitness of the tendons etc!! You need to make sure you do teh right fittening to make sure you dont end up with an injured horse.

As for boots id say a full set of brushing boots would be fine for small local HT and over reach boots. And with cooling gel its up to you really, not really alot of need if the ground is good/soft and you havent gone stupid fast!!! But if the ground is hard it wont hurt to apply, infact it will benefit!

When I event and go XC I have 2 studs in each but then again at a small level im not sure that is necessary, maybe try with the usual studs and them if you dont have enough grip have 2 in each next time. Hope this helps!!!
smile.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks HollyJane, uber helpful.

Think I had already decided that I needed to canter work but getting mixed views from people on the yard, some seem to think it's overkill!!

lillie07

Visit site
The only reason some people believe you should have 2 studs in a shoe is due to the balance of a foot, if you already compete with 1 then I would continue with that. Putting a cooling gel on legs will do no harm especially on hard ground and its better to be safe than sorry- COOLPACK GREEN JELLY is fantastic stuff and its not over expensive either (can probably buy it online).

Helga1980

Visit site
sophieandhal - one advantage of the yard is it's on top of a hill so have a fab long trot to power up!!

lillie07 - I will add cooling gel to my shopping list but will stay as I am for studs, as someone suggested, if he slips I can just put 2 in at the next HT!!

kick_On

Visit site
elo
* Canter / Interval training -
Just make sure you can canter without going out of breath for distance of course. But a good exercise is: walk 10 minutes trot 5 minutes, canter 2minutes, flatout gallop 1 minutes then go down scale ie canter, trot walk and if uphill better

* Boots - covers important bits really

* Leg Ice / Cooling Gel - i wouldn't bother a this level unless gg is carry preivous injury

* Studs - i wouldn't bother a this level. If you start using the, you will have to use all the time

BUT things i would work are:
making sure gg is off leg, balenced and straight

I really would not worry to much about have the 'right kit', but if you then if you decided to upgrade to BE, then i would start thinking about Leg Ice, Studs etc................
Why don't you spend that money on training instead and you'll see greatest improvement, instead of, than what your gg is wearing (not being rude but being straight)
and most of all enjoy

Helga1980

Visit site
Kick-On - you're not being at all rude there, very good points. Sadly is very difficult to not get caught up in the whole 'having the right kit' aspect.

One of the liveries on our yard is obsessed with 'kit' and won't do anything on grass without some sort of stud in place and I'm afraid to say they are starting to make me a little worried about it all!!

KatB

Visit site
I used to do open HT and Xc on my cob, he had big slidy dinner plate feet and he never had studs, I didnt need them for hunting big hedge country, so y over 3" XC?! I've also worked with a top eventer who NEVER XC schools with studs, says it teaches them to stand on own feet. So don't worry about kit, and just enjoy it! Oh and Ian STark competed at a recent 3* with NO boots on at all, so think you'll be fine wity brushing boots.
Know what you mean bout over careful people having influence though!!
blush.gif
grin.gif

kick_On

Visit site
she's got more money that sense, if she only doing small stuff. Now she has used than is a vicuos (sp) circle, you have to use them all the time the horse or horse will not perform, as dosen't feel safe.
I personnel would just keep to basic kit and then have more lessons and follow your trainers advice. Better investment in my eyes.

katiejaye

Visit site
Hiya, I did my first HT a few months ago (after predominantly doing BD) so I know how you are feeling!

I prepared by doing lots of canter work and trot up hills and making sure Louis was moving off my leg aids. Being predominantly a dressage horse up to now, I had to do lots of work on making Louis' canter bigger and stronger (not faster though as my boy certaintly has speed!).

As for boots, if your horse is careful generally with his legs then I wouldn'y bother spending lots of money on expensive xc boots, brushing boots would be fine. However, I actually bought some fantastic aircooling (and very reasonable) XC boots from Premier Equine:

http://www.premierequineinternational.com/acatalog/horse-boots.html

they are really fantastic.

For the level you are doing I would say that cooling gell and extra studs are not necessary.

The one main problem I had at my first HT was Louis got a little tense having to leave the other horses at the starting point so it may be a good thing to practice. Also I would suggest getting in lots of practice over different types of XC fences as some of them fazed Louis a little! If you can have a practice around the course you are doing the HT at then I would def recommend this. Good luck
grin.gif

katiejaye

Visit site
P.s. I have never had studs and have done lots of XC training and HT type stuff since starting out XC and Louis has been fine. I think it's only really necessary at the higher/more competetive levels.

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks guys
grin.gif

Okay, plan of action:

Have convinced friend to box to local common (good hill and no/v.limited rabbit holes) with me once a week to get some good canters in. Will continue with long hacks and lots of trotting up hills.

Going to get a pair of the preimer equine XC boots (they're smexy and I'm a bit of a boots whore
blush.gif
)

Not going to bother with studs.

Will simply wash down his legs with the barrier lavendar wash that I use on his body (purely used because I love the smell!)

Friend and I already have 2 XC lessons booked in with our trainer and plan to go XC schooling to make sure we can do it with trainer shouting at us!!

Will post updates and pictures (hopefully) after the events

helenandshadow

Visit site
Canter / Interval training - your horse sounds quite fit already, do some more canter work and hill work and go xc schooling if possible

Boots - brushing boots should be fine, i would also use overreach boots

Leg Ice / Cooling Gel - i personally wouldn't bother

Studs - 1 in each back shoe should be fine

good luck and have fun!!
laugh.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id say being ridden 6 days a week for an hour would probably make her pretty fit anyway.

* Canter / Interval training - I wouldnt be too bothered about this. Yes, interval training is great however I compete at BE Novice and have never actually done interval training with my boy! (mainly because I simply dont have anywhere to do it.....). Hacking is great, Id maybe try to do more hill work (trotting slowly up and down hills etc.) which helps a lot.

* Boots - Tendon & fetlock are perfect for SJ. Yeah, I would get a really decent set of XC boots. Regular "brushing" boots dont have enough protection, especially up the back of the front tendons etc. I can highly recommend the N.E.W lightweight competition ones. Really solid yet very comfy.

* Leg Ice / Cooling Gel - I wouldnt say these are really needed at your level. Although its probably better to be safe than sorry! I put cooling gel on after every single time I ride at home and leg clay after jumping on hard ground so it certainly would do him no harm to put some on.

* Studs - 1 stud is fine. Some people say use 2 due to inbalances (rotating the hoof) but TBH if you only use them to compete, I wouldnt worry. I compete with just 1 stud in the hinds (no front studs). Do whatever your horse is used to! My boy doesnt seem to go so well with them in, I guess coz at home I work on grass in all weather without studs so he's quite well balanced!

Good luck and remember to enjoy!