Hunter Trials in Glos/Wilts

Helena88

Visit site
could anyone tell me what the following HTs are like? esp re the warm up, the actual course and the parking (new to towing!!)... baring in mind me and the horse are relatively novicy as regards xc (but happily popping 3ft3+ SJ courses - horse v. genuine - never stops, and i'm quite brave!)

Westmill Farm HT

Ledbury Hunt HT

Castle Farm HT

Deer Park HT

Frampton Family RC HT

or if there are any others within travel-able distance of stroud?

thanks xx

Emma123

Visit site
Any chance you can say where the hunter trials are... such as guessing Ledbury hunt is at Hilltop?

Hilltop is lovely, nice course, got everything you need on a hill (obviously lol). Warm up is in big field with 2 jumps in which are knock down (or were last time I went). Parking is over the road and theres plenty of space.

Deer park is lovely too..havn't ever been to a HT just schooling there but its a lovely course too, less 'natural' than hilltop if that makes sense!

Hope that helps
smile.gif

monkeybum13

Visit site
If you mean Cast Farm in Wickwar I have been there and am not a huge fan. The course is very uppy downy with very tight turns and hard ground. The water is through 2 streams with stoney bases, which they expect you to canter through to make the steps coming out. The ground is very hard even after rain where it becomes slippery. You will need a fit horse for this event! The parking is not great with great ridges in the ground.

I see its not on your list but the xc course at West Littleton is lovely. Very well built with fences from 2’3” to 3’6”. There is lots of room for parking and the warm up is fairly quiet.

Have fun wherever you go and good luck!!
tongue.gif

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Nope Ledbury Hunt HT is at Gadbury, Eldersfield - the only one which is held there. Nice course, better built than Hilltop Ledbury IMHO and with some good questions and a BIG hill at the start
grin.gif

Warm up is large, parking is easy (lots of space).

There will be a few running at Hilltop Ledbury too (see their website for details) - good parking, warm up is OK (on a hill), easy to get to
smile.gif

beano

Visit site
Ledbury HT is indeed at Gadbury, Eldersfield. Its a really lovely course only used for Ledbury PC and hunt events. They've added some new jumps this year too - I think someone quite well known course builds there but can't remember who.

Haven't been to Deer Park since last year, IMO hard to get to, course looking a bit tired, but as I said I've not been this year.

Not been to Frampton HT myself but know lots that have - supposed to be good for the more novice 2'3 / 2'6 types.

And there's Pauntley xc near Newent though I think their comps don't start till Oct.

cheekycharley

Visit site
I went xc schooling a few years ago at castle farm and would not go back....

Went to deer park the other day and was fairly impressed (there were landing and take offs where needed which werent there before) and a few newish jumps.

Frampton is a nice event as well from what i can remember.

Agree west littleton is lovely

ColouredFan

Visit site
I can help with three of them

Castle Farm HT - Hilly, poor parking but good for baby horses as their baby class is very simple, not recemmended for horses that nap due to the loaction of the start.

Deer Park HT - lovely course good landings and take offs

Frampton Family RC HT - again good for baby horses (I am in FFRC) Inviting course that isnt used alot so ground should be good.

Another option could be Leyland court if its not to far for you? Its got everything from about 2' to about 3'3/3'6, ground is noramly good, parking good and courses built to height.