Hunter Trials?? INFO WANTED

MandyMoo

Visit site
I am going to do a couple of Hunter Trials at Eland Lodge and Draycott House.

I was just wondering about three things really:

1) how fit would a horse need to be to do either of these courses;
http://87.237.62.35/events/crosscountry/Novice%20Fences.htm
http://87.237.62.35/events/crosscountry/Intermediate%20Fences.htm
would he just need to be ''hacking 3 or 4 times a week and bsja every other weekend'' fit - or would he need to be fitter??

2) what do i wear? hacking jacket, cream jods etc (aka hunting gear) or do i need to wear like eventing cross country gear??

3) how long are hunter trial courses?? is it just like 100metres or so between fences or more/less?? just so i know about the length of the course regarding to fitness levels.

thanks in advance for any info
smile.gif

xxx

carmenlucy123

Visit site
when i did my first XC at eland i entered the intermediate it takes about 6 mins on a quick horse...it needs to be pretty fit but as long as its not got a massive gut or is overweight normal hacking fit is ok

you wear xc colours for a huntertrial but dont worry if you havent got one.... as long as you have a long sleeved shirt/jumper

i wore a black polor neck top for my 1st one as i diddnt have the money for xc colours you can buy stuff as you go along you dont have to be kitted out straight away

hair net defo a soft peaked (rather than a fixed peak hat)
long riding boots or joddie boots and chaps.... oooh and a body protector level 2? i think

and i think you have to wear a medical arm band you can get them for a couple of quid

hope this helps

eland is brilliant and everyone their is really nice its a great day out...ill be going to the next one too so maybe see you there xx

MegaBeast

Visit site
Can wear hunting gear or cross country colours - majority opt for XC colours.

fitness wise depends what your hacking involves. Would personally want to be doing some periods of sustained canter before HT as it's more demanding than SJ.

Generally think the length is around 1.5 - 2km? So about 4 - 5 minutes of cantering with approx 20 jumping efforts

MandyMoo

Visit site
thankyou for the info
smile.gif

he's not fat or anything- he's capable of doing bsja at 1m/1m05 fairly regularly...and i don't do ''ambling hacks'' lol :p they are livley enough
smile.gif
so i think i might just increase the fast work a bit
smile.gif

i already have a level 3 body protector which my mum bought me about 2 years ago and tried to convince me to wear for showjumping :p (i've never used it! haha)

ok, so i'll provs have a rummage around my dads wardrobe and steal a jumper or long sleev polo shirt or something :p

sounds good
laugh.gif
xxx

Rhiann0n

Visit site
You have to check the rules for the event, but might find it says something like:-

"Hat and Body Protector to current standards"

which are Level 3 Body Protector and hat kitemarked to PAS 015 or BSEN 1384

Depending on the level you're doing, I'd aim for about 1.5 miles or 6 mins sustained fast canter. How much work will depend whether its a TB or hairy cob
grin.gif

The original idea of 'Hunter Trial' is just that - to see if a horse is fit and capable of hunting.

MandyMoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How much work will depend whether its a TB or hairy cob
grin.gif

The original idea of 'Hunter Trial' is just that - to see if a horse is fit and capable of hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

he isnt a hairy cob :p hes a big hanoverian x warmblood lad who's done about 6 years of being a whip-in horse and then the rest of his life (19 years lol) showjumping....so he is definitley capable :p haha its just me sitting there like a lemon who will probably mess it up so im only going for novice or intermediate :p ...

righto...i better get off to increase his fitness!!
grin.gif