Hunter Wellies...ohhhh dear

LaurenBay

Visit site
Not surprised.

My Hunters were awful and have a huge crack in them which lets mud and water in. I don't wear them anymore.

monte1

Visit site
:-(.... I just contacted them last week as my almost 12 month old pair, which cost over £150! has perished and cracked right across top of toe area and letting in water, but on one foot only!
i have sent photos etc and am awaiting their response

the manufacturing standards certainly seem to have slipped .. these are not a fashion accessory for most of us, they are used daily and should be able to stand up to it !

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Hunter wellies have been made in China for quite a few years. The shop I work in stopped selling them because we were so fed up of the complaints. A pair of Hunter wellies used to last several years, now you are lucky if you get 12 months out of them.

Floxie

Visit site
I still have an old pair with the 'Hunter - made in Scotland' logo on the front. I don't wear them often, they're treasured :)

My new neoprene-lined ones were fabulously warm and comfortable until they fell apart after very little use. I buy cheap fleece-lined Dunlops now.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I still have an old pair with the 'Hunter - made in Scotland' logo on the front. I don't wear them often, they're treasured :)
I do too, usually now worn a handful of times a year.

My go to ones at the yard for after work in winter are a bright pink lookalike hunters from Homebase, 5 yrs old, still good nick and cost me £20 :D

MurphysMinder

Visit site

My new neoprene-lined ones were fabulously warm and comfortable until they fell apart after very little use. I buy cheap fleece-lined Dunlops now.

Yes, the "made in Scotland" logo is the give away, now they just say Hunter. As retailers we were never told they were no longer UK made, it was only with the first couple of complaints we realised the Made in Scotland part of the trademark had disappeared. It's not just Hunters either, many brands who used to be UK made are now manufactured overseas, and they aren't very upfront about it, its just a case of checking the labels.

Last edited:

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Sounds like Hunter are now aiming for the "wear once a year with denim cut-offs and a crop top at Glastonbury" market. So stupid when people will pay good money for reliable quality when it comes to footwear and coats in a rainy country.

scats

Visit site
Hunters used to get you through a number of wet winters... now you’re lucky if they get you through a puddle.

They have become fashion wellies now, not working wellies. I got a pair online a few years ago, thought I’d give them one last go... split within 4 weeks.

Shady

Visit site
I had this out with Hunter 2 years ago when my second pair lasted less than 3 months. They were extremely unhelpful until i started spouting technical stuff at them. I worked in high end fashion for years and knew exactly why they were cracking at the stress points and it was obvious that the factory in China had found a way to cut costs whilst still passing the initial quality control. It happens all the time, especially in China. Serves Hunter right for being so greedy.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm the third owner of a 20 year old Made in Scotland Hunters which are still going strong. The Chinese ones have always been rubbish. Hunters should do what Dr Martens do and have a premium British made line for people who respect heritage and quality.

AFB

Visit site
Haven't we known this for years? Mine lasted 5 months, nearly 10 years ago. Haven't touched a pair since.

ironhorse

Visit site
Wouldn't even bother with them now - best thing is neoprene line shooting wellies, and they don't have to be expensive Le Chameau either. Think my Seeland ones were £70 and have lasted more than 3 years which has included quite a few miles of long reining and hand walking!

WandaMare

Visit site
I paid £70 for my last pair of Hunters and I have to say I have been pleased with them, I haven't had any of the peeling or other problems mentioned in this article. My last few pairs lasted a few winters which I guess is all I was expecting bearing in mind I wear them every day on the yard though and do loads of walking. I have paid more for work shoes which haven't lasted as long. I hose mine off each day when I finish so maybe this makes a difference. I have tried some of the other brands but I find Hunters more comfortable plus they aren't too heavy.

oldie48

Visit site
I paid £70 for my last pair of Hunters and I have to say I have been pleased with them, I haven't had any of the peeling or other problems mentioned in this article. My last few pairs lasted a few winters which I guess is all I was expecting bearing in mind I wear them every day on the yard though and do loads of walking. I have paid more for work shoes which haven't lasted as long. I hose mine off each day when I finish so maybe this makes a difference. I have tried some of the other brands but I find Hunters more comfortable plus they aren't too heavy.

This has been my experience but I've obviously been lucky. I really like the fit but I am very careful not to leave them in the sun as I think this causes them to perish.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
OH had a pair for years and years...when they finally died he got another pair. They were appalling and lasted about 6 months having developed a whole series of splits and the sole started to come away from the upper. Same thing had happened to our neighbour, who recommended cheap Dunlops. They've already lasted longer than the Hunters.
It's so disappointing when companies get greedy.

CMcC

Visit site
Always had appalling customer service. I ordered a pair of riding boots which were expensive. Next day delivery was promised. When they didn't arrive I phoned and was told, "oh, we can't guarantee next day delivery at the moment". No explanation, no apology. When they arrived my legs were too fat so had to go back anyway but seriously unimpressed and wouldn't buy again.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I'm the third owner of a 20 year old Made in Scotland Hunters which are still going strong. The Chinese ones have always been rubbish. Hunters should do what Dr Martens do and have a premium British made line for people who respect heritage and quality.

I suspect it's a bit too late, as they've already wrecked their reputation and it's gonna take an awful lot to rebuild it.

w1bbler

Visit site
I know they are rubbish now, but according to their website there is a 24 month guarantee. Anyone tried using this recently? Theoretically it means for the price you've got a pair of boots that will last 2 years. I struggle to find anything as comfy & need to replace my no longer made century wellies ( which are basically old fashioned hunters)

JJS

Visit site
I must have got one of the last good pairs. I bought mine eight years ago now and they're still going strong!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Awful quality. I haven't had a pair for years now after the last pair "died" within a few months. Previous to that I think I only had 2 pairs!! I get mine from Matalan now for £14.