Hunting a cob

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I haven't posted since I lost my 4yo, but I've recently got a cob. We're going hunting on Boxing Day and it's a big hunting place where I am, what do I do with his mane? Obviously everyone plaits but he's a native.
Thanks in advance

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thanks he's nit hogged or pulled he's natural just didn't know if he can stay natural of if its to be plaited? I'vd never been in such a serious hunting county where things have to be perfect

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Regardless of who you hunt with - always turn out to the highest standard.

If you don't intend to pull the mane, then do a running plait.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I always do turnout to the highest standard even for a local friendly jumping competition. Do you know if grey piping I'm bridles are allowed? And is a green tweed acceptable? I'm new to hunting tbh.

crabbymare

Visit site
You could also phone the secretary and ask their advice as some will say to have a running plait and others will say normal plaits

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always do turnout to the highest standard even for a local friendly jumping competition. Do you know if grey piping I'm bridles are allowed? And is a green tweed acceptable? I'm new to hunting tbh.

Tack should be brown, and if you are an adult your jacket should be black.

Phoning the hunt secretary is an excellent suggestion. I would also take the opportunity of asking them about new comer days so that you can get a taste before Boxing Day (which is not a day for a first timer....).

Mixedbag

Visit site
Would second speaking to the hunt secretary, most are very helpful. Green tweed would be acceptable with most hunts if you are not hunting regularly and a tweed jacket will be warmer than a lot of black ones. Tweed is worn with a coloured stock, navy or dark green would look good, or if the jacket has an overcheck you could pick up on that. We have a NF with lots of mane and often do a running plait. If you want to keep your cob's lovely long mane go down that route, done neatly they look very smart. Agree that Boxing Day is usually a bit mad so it would be worth trying to get out before then if you can to see what happens. Good luck and have fun!

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thank you all. I went hunting boxing day last year on my mare and it was brilliant that's why is like to go again this year in my new boy. Especially as I don't often get chances to get time off work boxing day is one I can get off. It's just a lot more particular down here to where I was originally so Id like to get it right!