hunting a gypsy cob?

snurse

Visit site
I think he should go au naturale. Enjoy yourself! And don't take any notice of funny remarks you may get - we took a little Exmoor pony hunting once, and got some very snobby remarks, but she was excellent at it and thoroughly enjoyed herself.

muffinino

Visit site
Hi. I took my con hunting for the first time last year and he loves it! I put an arab plait in his mane and on really wet days put his tail up like a polo pony. I also put an arab plait today for dressage at a one day event and it's very effective.

Here's a link to the end of season thread I put up (you may have to copy&paste as I can't figure out how to do links properly - any advice welcome! :grin:)

I usually take it out after the meet as he hates having his main platted and shakes his head. I'd rather have him concentrating on where he's going than on his mane! As long as you turn out smartly and cleanly (you won't be clean for long, lol!) you should be ok and nobody has said anything to me but I would check with the secretary to make sure.

icklemadame

Visit site
I hunt my gypsy cob mare, she absolutely loves it and although we never look as smart as all the posh people on their big hunters, we always have the last laugh as she's ten times more brave than most of them and will jump anything you put in front of her - I always look happier and less worried than the rest of the field whilst flying towards a big hedge or having to scramble through rivers and up steep banks :) I put her (very long) mane in a running plait - but it does tend to fall out quite quickly - happily leaving me with something to hold onto if I need it!!

Hope you enjoy yourself!! And let us know how you get on!!

Starbucks

Visit site
Go for it and i hope you have lots of fun!! :grin:

I think you could get away au naturale, just make sure he looks uber clean and you look really smart. I don't think any hunting people would make snobby comments (as some of the others have said) just because you are on a gypsy cob, but they might if you look like a scruff on a dirty gypsy cob. :p

not saying that you or your horse are scruffy by the way!!! :)

belly

Visit site
I personally think a smartly turned out cob can look just as stunning as any "hunter". I've never been a fan of hogging but to be fair it does look smart and is vary practical!