Hunting advice

LilMyPony

Visit site
I have a few questions, about hunting, sort of.
I have hunted a few times this season and they have been some if the best days of my life! I am totally addicted now.

First problem - plaiting.
I have pulled my pony’s mane, but it’s so incredibly thick the plaits/knots end up looking like golf balls! How do I thin her mane?
And her tail… well, she’s recently got very bad about anything done with her tail. I almost got kicked yesterday… I never let her away with it but she just gets worse. Her tail is muddy and too long now and I can’t plait it!!! I managed to get it clean and plaited when I went hunting but it’s getting more of an issue. I suppose it would be disgraceful to go hunting with a tail like that, so, pls how can I stop he kicking??
Also, do most people plait the night before? I’ve done it on the morning so far. Would they come out during the night? She would be stabled at night.

Then - cleaning tack before hunting.
Do you just clean, or clean and oil?
Last time I oiled too, idk if i didn’t give it long enough to absorb or what but my brand new jodhs are now badly stained in the seat area…

And.. me. I’m 13, btw, so I should be wearing ratcatcher? I didn’t have one so I just wore a black raincoat. Everyone else my age seemed to be wearing black BreezeUps. So should I get a BreezeUp, or what? I mean, I want to do the ‘proper’ thing, but I don’t exactly want to stick out like a sore thumb either. And then, can you wear a stock with a BreezeUp?
And what is the proper colour jodhs for hunting? I wore gray, there was a big variety of colours there.. no one seemed to mind.
TIA!! I hope these aren’t stupid questions…

Clodagh

Visit site
Do you want her to have a good mane and tail for the summer?
If yes do a running plait, if no use a solo comb or tail rake and thin her mane right out.
Tail, pull ( I tail rake ) the dock and cut the length off so it’s level with her hocks when she’s moving. So about 4” below when you are pulling it down. Then you can plait it up if you want to, and you are in a muddy area, or leave it down.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Some people plait the tail down to the end and then fold it up a couple of times, and wrap the tail hair and dock with tape, but maybe you pony's tail is too thick for this. You can cut it to just below the hocks, but be aware that when ridden they raise their tail a bit so make allowance for that or it will look too short.

Why do you think your pony is kicking? Is it because you were pulling on the hair and they didn't like it? Or is it when you are trying to wash it? Be gentle, don't tug, you might need to use you fingers to ease out the tangle, but be careful and stand to one side if liable to kick. Spray with tail de-tangler which will help brush out the mud. If you think the pony might kick at another horse you should put a red ribbon on its tail and try to keep away from other horses and always turn them to face hounds because kicking a hound is bad.

As for dress, well some hunts are stricter than others. At 13 then you should be in a tweed jacket with a shirt and tie and light coloured jodpurs. However, just dress like the others although it never hurts to be smart and correct if you can. But if there are people wearing different colours and different jackets then it won't matter - but you might at some stage get asked to smarten up either individually or as a sort of group talk, maybe reminding everyone of what they should be wearing, or maybe they just don't mind!

At my local hunt they are fairly smart so someone might have a quiet word, but they don't want to upset you or put you off. Start off with clean tack. Just use saddle soap or similar. After hunting when it is muddy, wash off the mud and then oil to keep the leather soft and in good condition.

If you there is something you don't know, just ask. Explain that you are new to hunting and ask away.

LilMyPony

Visit site
Do you want her to have a good mane and tail for the summer?
If yes do a running plait, if no use a solo comb or tail rake and thin her mane right out.
Tail, pull ( I tail rake ) the dock and cut the length off so it’s level with her hocks when she’s moving. So about 4” below when you are pulling it down. Then you can plait it up if you want to, and you are in a muddy area, or leave it down.
I mean, I think I will thin it. It’s ridiculously bushy.
Okay, that’s great thank you. Weirdly, her tail is actually very thin, so def doesn’t need thinning but it’s nearly trailing on the ground.. so do I just use a scissors to cut?
Some people plait the tail down to the end and then fold it up a couple of times, and wrap the tail hair and dock with tape, but maybe you pony's tail is too thick for this. You can cut it to just below the hocks, but be aware that when ridden they raise their tail a bit so make allowance for that or it will look too short.

Why do you think your pony is kicking? Is it because you were pulling on the hair and they didn't like it? Or is it when you are trying to wash it? Be gentle, don't tug, you might need to use you fingers to ease out the tangle, but be careful and stand to one side if liable to kick. Spray with tail de-tangler which will help brush out the mud. If you think the pony might kick at another horse you should put a red ribbon on its tail and try to keep away from other horses and always turn them to face hounds because kicking a hound is bad.

As for dress, well some hunts are stricter than others. At 13 then you should be in a tweed jacket with a shirt and tie and light coloured jodpurs. However, just dress like the others although it never hurts to be smart and correct if you can. But if there are people wearing different colours and different jackets then it won't matter - but you might at some stage get asked to smarten up either individually or as a sort of group talk, maybe reminding everyone of what they should be wearing, or maybe they just don't mind!

At my local hunt they are fairly smart so someone might have a quiet word, but they don't want to upset you or put you off. Start off with clean tack. Just use saddle soap or similar. After hunting when it is muddy, wash off the mud and then oil to keep the leather soft and in good condition.

If you there is something you don't know, just ask. Explain that you are new to hunting and ask away.
What I was doing was not with the whole tail.. it’s like the pic
A147BEA3-2878-4C4F-AAFC-9EBCD9AE0201.jpeg
Well, I don’t even touch the tail, but if I go near that end with a tail brush she freaks out. She backs until she gets to the end of the lead rope, then starts swinging her bum away, and sometimes, she tries to kick. Didn’t even get a brushstroke in. But I can lift up her tail to groom under and she doesn’t bat an eyelid.
I’ll definitely get some detangler that’s handy.
Ok.. thank you.
so if I can get another pair of jodhs should I go for a beige type colour?
That’s good thanks.
Yes, the hunt people are some of the nicest people I’ve met, they have helped me so much already 😊

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes just scissors. There must be a you tube video? It needs to be on a very slight slant. Maybe someone on here can take a pic?
If you are pulling those hairs right to plait it will hurt. I had a sensitive mare and just used to plait from lower down the dock (but did tail rake the top). If plaiting like you do don’t pull too tight.

irishdraft

Visit site
In my area you do need to plait the mane but not the tail. If your pony s tail is on the ground you definitely need to cut the end off to just below the hocks, no need to plait the tail unless it's muddy going & you want to keep the tail fairly clean, then plait down and fold up & tape. You should be wearing a tweed jacket and light coloured jods, this is traditional wear for young people. Clean your tack beforehand with saddle soap only afterwards if it's been a wet day you could oil it but isn't necessary every time. Happy hunting x

LilMyPony

Visit site
Thanks so much!! This is really helpful.
Does anyone have any ideas about the kicking…
This morning, she let me tentatively touch the top of her dock with the brush. But I accidentally went down too far 😭 and she freaked out… so I went back and after a bit was able to stand to one side of her bum with the brush with her having a panic attack.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks so much!! This is really helpful.
Does anyone have any ideas about the kicking…
This morning, she let me tentatively touch the top of her dock with the brush. But I accidentally went down too far 😭 and she freaked out… so I went back and after a bit was able to stand to one side of her bum with the brush with her having a panic attack.
It may well be that the length of her tail is simply bugging her. Lop some off. Give it a good wash. Allow it to dry and then cut it to the length you want it.

Fred66

Visit site
Didnt really make a difference.. 😕 any ideas

Is the kicking / panicking a new response as it seems a little extreme unless it is either in response to current pain or past trauma.

Will she let you run your fingers through it ? If so wet it condition it and then run your fingers through so no knots. Rinse and let it dry, spray with Mane & Tail spray and do the same again making sure knots are out.

Then standing to one side just in case hold the tail towards the bottom so you are not pulling the tail hair at the dock brush it through. And gradually work upwards. She might be better with a body brush than a mane & tail one as it won’t pull so hard.

But if she won’t let you do any of the above safely then you need to seek adult help.

Re jodhpurs then beige, is correct whatever jacket and as long as you and your pony start out looking clean and tidy and you mind your manners then unless it is a very picky hunt no one will worry too much whether you are plaited, but if the mane is longer then a running plait would be perfectly acceptable.

A few tips of etiquette, always find the secretary to pay your field cap for the day, as a child on the hunting field unless it’s a childrens meet or you are told otherwise then you should remain near the back of the field (however if there a bunch of you out together then don’t separate yourself from them just to polite), be prepared to hop off to do gates (unless you can’t get back on), say thank you to anyone holding a gate for you , if you head for home before the days hunting is over find the fieldmaster and thank him/her and say goodnight. It saves the field wondering whether you have gone home or got lost. If you do leave early generally you should head home on the roads not across fields as permission from landowners can be very specific and you might accidentally go across land you shouldn’t.

But mainly just enjoy, most of the adults love to see a happy child on the hunting field, you are the future.

Last edited:

gallopingby

Visit site
I have a few questions, about hunting, sort of.
I have hunted a few times this season and they have been some if the best days of my life! I am totally addicted now.

First problem - plaiting.
I have pulled my pony’s mane, but it’s so incredibly thick the plaits/knots end up looking like golf balls! How do I thin her mane?
And her tail… well, she’s recently got very bad about anything done with her tail. I almost got kicked yesterday… I never let her away with it but she just gets worse. Her tail is muddy and too long now and I can’t plait it!!! I managed to get it clean and plaited when I went hunting but it’s getting more of an issue. I suppose it would be disgraceful to go hunting with a tail like that, so, pls how can I stop he kicking??
Also, do most people plait the night before? I’ve done it on the morning so far. Would they come out during the night? She would be stabled at night.

Then - cleaning tack before hunting.
Do you just clean, or clean and oil?
Last time I oiled too, idk if i didn’t give it long enough to absorb or what but my brand new jodhs are now badly stained in the seat area…

And.. me. I’m 13, btw, so I should be wearing ratcatcher? I didn’t have one so I just wore a black raincoat. Everyone else my age seemed to be wearing black BreezeUps. So should I get a BreezeUp, or what? I mean, I want to do the ‘proper’ thing, but I don’t exactly want to stick out like a sore thumb either. And then, can you wear a stock with a BreezeUp?
And what is the proper colour jodhs for hunting? I wore gray, there was a big variety of colours there.. no one seemed to mind.
TIA!! I hope these aren’t stupid questions…
If it’s raining then people your age probably will wear Breezeups, it’s sensible to try and keep dry! If the weather looks fine then a tweed jacket is correct. Don’t forget it’s often possible to find stuff on eBay or Ponyclub sites that people no longer want, you don’t have to have everything from new.

Fred66

Visit site
If it’s raining then people your age probably will wear Breezeups, it’s sensible to try and keep dry! If the weather looks fine then a tweed jacket is correct. Don’t forget it’s often possible to find stuff on eBay or Ponyclub sites that people no longer want, you don’t have to have everything from new.
In fact it’s considered bad luck to go out in brand new 😁

Re what to wear then at your age shirt and tie , v-neck sweater, then either tweed or waterproof depending on the weather.

With tack then when you get home after hunting clean everything with warm water to remove sweat and dirt, then oil when it’s dry. Any oil not absorbed after being left then you should use a cloth to remove and then clean as normal.

LilMyPony

Visit site
Thanks everyone!!!
First of all, I tried the body brush on her tail and we actually got it about half clean!!!!!! I’ll continue tomorrow, see if she still lets me. She threatened to kick a few times but growled ‘AhAh’ or ‘Stopit’ and she left it.
Second of all I found a great secondhand pair of jodhs! Am keeping an eye out for a jacket.
Third, gosh I had no idea not to put oil on top! Thanks so much for telling me!

LilMyPony

Visit site
Also I’m making good progress with tail! She was pretty bad for the first minute, but then she was like ‘hey, this is not so bad’ and let me, but if I spend too long she gets antsy so I alternate, brushing her body, working down to the tail, then do that a little, up to the shoulder again…

Sealine

Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying hunting. If you plait the mane you should plait the forelock too.

I never plaited my horse's tail for hunting but it was always clean, tidy and banged short at the hocks.