Hunting an ex P2Per

TwoStroke

Visit site
I have an ex pointer, which has been lame for most of the 3 years I've had him, but - fingers crossed - there may be an end in sight. I bought him to event, but due to his lameness, ended up buying another to do that job. So TB will need a job to do...

I've never hunted, but would love to go. As TB pointed in Ireland, he must have hunted over there as well. I've heard the hunting in Ireland can be a bit hardcore... Can anyone advise what I can expect from hunting an irish former p2p horse?

There are two packs near me, Mendip Farmers and Weston and Banwell Harriers; can anyone advise which has the better country to hunt? Or is it best to visit both, first?

TIA

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
You have to make the decision if you think he is fit enough to hunt all day bearing in mind the muddy sloshy conditions out there at the moment. Will his legs cope. Personally I would be somehwat concerned if he's been lame for the last three years.

Re the country - if you like jumping rhynes (large water filled ditches) then try the Weston and Banwell Harriers - if you prefer stone walls then it's Mendip Farmers.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Ah sorry, should have said that should I decide he'd be a good hunter, he'll be built up over next summer ready for next winter. If I want to event him alongside my other horse instead, though, I need to start getting him fit soon.

I'm mainly concerned that with his history he may be a bit mental!

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
I have a 20 year old ex p2p horse from Ireland, he is fine out with blood hounds or drag hunting but totally insane hunting with fox hounds, he can,t stand still too long waiting for hounds to flush. You are right to a degree that hunting in Ireland can be hard core but if I am honest I have had hard core days in England too!

My advise is this, firstly get him road fit, i.e and hour light trotting and walking to build his strength up in his legs. Pick a hunt that has jumping optional and take him for an hour 1/2 first, avoid heavy ground and jumps that are a bit hard.

Most of all use your own common sense he is your horse, you know him better than anyone else so listen to your own instincts and have fun and well done for working on him for 3 years most would not have bothered! :)

TwoStroke

Visit site
Thanks, MG, that's helpful :). I, too, forsee issues with the waiting, as standing still out hacking can be a challenge, and at shows is nigh impossible (though he's only made it to a handful, so maybe the excitement will wear off!).

I am worried that his legs won't hold up, but if I can't find a job for him to do I may as well leave him in the field, and retire him. Seems a shame though, as he's only 9.

meesha

Visit site
dont forget WSVH - very friendly - very reasonable cap - lovely country http://www.westsomersetvalehunt.co.uk They have days on the quantock hills and days in the valley so you can choose which suits you. I hunt with them even though weston and banwell are on my doorstep - doesnt take long to get there at all.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Thanks, Meesha. It looks like a lovely hunt, but it may be a little too far for me. Have you hunted with the Weston and Banwell Harriers or Mendip Farmers? PM if you prefer :).

meesha

Visit site
No not hunted with anyone else - WSVH cheaper per day main season than either of the other - we seem to have alot of people who did go with Weston and Banwell Harriers who now come out with WSVH - if you are into Autumn Trailing its fantastic with WSVH and v v cheap !! if you want to follow me down then you are welcome to meet me just before junction 22 M5 - wont be going again until Feb but will be out autumn trailing beginning Sept if you are looking at next year. Hope this helps !

Dont want to Jinx it but few fallers or injuries with WSVH - no ditches to jump - nice hunt jumps on some days - other days no jumping but there is always a way round the jumps and by way round I mean through a gate spitting distance away so you dont get seperated.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I made a classic mistake with my pointer (ex NH horse) the first time he went hunting was a Boxing Day meet! It took a while for him to settle but he was never wild, he is a bit of a fidget at the meet so I tend to leave him tacked up in the trailer until just before the off. He is fine in the field and I have taken him visiting and so far so good. We are not hunting this season due to finances, but he will be fit and ready to go for next season.

A1fie

Visit site
I hunt an ex p2p'er and he's a little star. I guess it depends on what sort of temprement yours has. Mine has a wonderful kind nature and is very sensible. He is good with hounds and will stand nicely if he can see other horses. The main problems i have had have been if someone comes galloping past - we either go with them or get into a real tizz! Don't forget all p2p'ers will have had to hunt to qualify although some i've seen just pootle at the back for 30 mins and then go home! If yours is good in company then you should be ok but maybe take a nanny for the first time. Good luck. Tb's are really quick learners and he may take to it like a duck to water!

LizzieJ

Visit site
The W&BH jump a lot of massive ditches, you really need to teach your horse to jump them before you go out! The mendip country is probably more suited :)

TwoStroke

Visit site
Thanks for the input, folks!

Meesha, it's next year I'm thinking of, so that would be fab, thanks :) (fingers crossed for no further TB related disasters before then!).

He's well mannered with other horses, and I'm sure he'd be fine with the hounds, so I reckon I'll put on my sticky bum jods and have a go :D. Wish he was fit for this season now - I'm getting excited!

Thanks for the tip on the country, LizzieJ; TB will not follow a lead, so best to avoid the massive ditches, lest I get stranded on the wrong side of one!

amage

Visit site
Pointers don't have to hunt to qualify here so assuming he has already hunted would be dangerous!!! I could count on one hand the number of pointers I've seen hunted here

pinklilly

Visit site
I have worked with p2p'ers and known many that have never seen a hound. We had one at kennels , we were given but it came during cubbing and I had to get it fit first, lets just say I was pleased I didn't get the job of teaching it to hunt!

If you aren't starting til next year try to get out hound exercise before autumn hunting starts, nice relaxed way to introduce them to the job.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Pointers don't have to hunt to qualify here so assuming he has already hunted would be dangerous!!! I could count on one hand the number of pointers I've seen hunted here

I have worked with p2p'ers and known many that have never seen a hound. We had one at kennels , we were given but it came during cubbing and I had to get it fit first, lets just say I was pleased I didn't get the job of teaching it to hunt!

If you aren't starting til next year try to get out hound exercise before autumn hunting starts, nice relaxed way to introduce them to the job.

Only just seen this, but glad I did! I've been told he hunted in Ireland, but that may have been an assumption based on the fact that he's pointed. Will definately start with Autumn hunting in this case! I'm quite sure that he'll go bonkers the first time he goes out, but hoping he'll settle after that. His mind's already well and truly blown, so no danger there :rolleyes:.