Hunting and covid....

L&M

Visit site
With all the issues and negativity aimed at hunting atm, does anyone else think it would be 'good politics' for those hunts that can still hunt (tier 3 and under), stopping for the rest of the season in the public interest?

I also live on a tier 'border' - without naming the areas, know several people that are crossing over tiers to continue hunting, which if caught will only serve to bring hunting into more disrepute.

Time to stop now guys and do the right thing? (I am a current hunt subscriber so not an 'anti' hunting post)

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think if people are crossing over from Tier 4, then there is a moral duty to stop hunting.

I don't think hunting is especially high risk (from a covid spread PoV), but it is a lot of people interacting who otherwise wouldn't, and I think everyone needs to do their part.

I've been pretty critical of "trail" hunting on recent threads, but I would have a genuine respect for a hunt that stopped for this reason.

SOS

Visit site
No I don’t think it should stop if allowed in their current Tier to continue in a COVID safe way. You’re very unlikely to have close contact with anyone else, much less than other organised sports.

Obviously travelling outside of Tier 4 for any non essential reason is not allowed.

Cutting a season in half may not effect a single subscriber much but many people feed off the income hunting brings. My farrier partner for one would lose many of his winter sets (which are then covered by eventers in the summer). Grooms would be let go and many more. I know lots of people want to see hunting on here die but as lots of people I know have their livelihoods involved in it I personally don’t.

L&M

Visit site
No I don’t think it should stop if allowed in their current Tier to continue in a COVID safe way. You’re very unlikely to have close contact with anyone else, much less than other organised sports.

Obviously travelling outside of Tier 4 for any non essential reason is not allowed.

Cutting a season in half may not effect a single subscriber much but many people feed off the income hunting brings. My farrier partner for one would lose many of his winter sets (which are then covered by eventers in the summer). Grooms would be let go and many more. I know lots of people want to see hunting on here die but as lots of people I know have their livelihoods involved in it I personally don’t.

Whereas I agree in sentiment, many hunts are already not operating as in the highest tier, and packs in Wales have not been able to hunt from the Sat before Christmas. All those packs will be affected financially, but is it is up to us as supporters/subscribers to contribute to any fund raising organised next season and to try and help make up the loss in funds.

My personal view is that large groups of people perceived to be 'gadding about on horses' in the name of hunting does not create a good impression, especially when there are so many other restrictions that are affecting everyday life, and it would be 'correct' to step back activities on a moral ground.

Funnily enough my partner is also a farrier and shoes for the hunt horses for 2 different packs - yes he is losing income but equally he has benefitted from the gov self employed scheme, as will many other people who are involved in hunting and other equine activities, so it is not all doom and gloom.

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
Lots of people are losing their livelihoods, though. Why are those who get their income through hunting special?

I know it is tough for people right now, especially the self employed, but I don't think that's a reasonable argument to make right now.

I agree that people don't (usually) get into close contact with others whilst hunting- although if anyone needs a leg up or first aid, it could happen. But equally the numbers are involved are much higher than other sports, so far more households are mixing.

SOS

Visit site
I don’t know any local packs trail, drag or blood in Tier 3 that have stopped. We are in the middle of prime hunting country with probably 6 packs within an hours drive and dozens more within 2 hours. Those more South have stopped as they entered Tier 4. Again just my personal experience.

I don’t think anyone is “special” for being involved with hunting. I’m saying everyone has to take what they can get at the moment. I myself was self employed before March, lost all income and had to seek a permanent job so appreciate it’s not a nice position. Just like rugby or golf or any other sport, there are many behind the scenes people who I don’t think should suffer for the sake of image. If it’s at the hands of government advice and rules then that’s the way it is in our ‘new normal’ but for an image issue I disagree.

I think hunting could do a 101 things to improve its image and be more transparent and less isolating but stopping hunting would probably only impress those already deeply set against the sport.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Over here, in my state only groups of 10 are allowed indoors or out and masks are still mandatory. Kinda prohibits hunting right there.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hunting in tier 3 is still legal, but tier hopping to hunt (for instance, in and of Wales or tier 4) is not. It doesn't do much to enamour the general public to hunting, but it’s not against guidelines. Hunts should call out and bar tier hoppers, though - they’ll know who they are.

The local police were called to a local Boxing Day meet after calls from the public re breaking guidelines, but found nothing untoward. There are other photos on the anti pages showing many more people standing close together than is shown in this pic, which was shown on a local news page. This was a big meet, partly because of an influx of visitors from a cross border pack which is under full Welsh lockdown - whether there were any tier hoppers I don’t know.

The groups of foot and car followers gathering round having a natter doesn’t look great and IMHO is more objectionable than the riders. At the same time this pic was taken under the guidelines my younger son and his girlfriend could not enter our half acre garden to have a very socially distanced chat ?‍♀️. We stick very closely to the guidelines, so they didn’t. We are now all in tier 4, so hunting is off.

82033690-F35E-4A53-98A1-A078BFA12641.jpeg

Hunting is having a torrid time at the moment for sure, most of it being self inflicted.