Hunting as a non subscriber?

gingerthing

Visit site
Are there many people out there who hunt with their chosen packs on a ‘pay and go’ basis? So who don’t actually subscribe just pay field money in full on the day. Because of my full time work and childcare commitments I am unable to go to meets every week, but try and get out when I can. I have looked at subscribing but the way I feel is that if I’m only able to make it out once a month for example - is it really cost effective?

However the pack which I go out with now only provides meet lists to subscribers, so as a current non subscriber I feel a bit out of the loop? Even though I have been following them on and off for the past 4 years. Is this common practise for hunts in general?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You could join the Hunt Supporters Club which would then mean you'd have access to information about social events, meets etc. Our local hunt is about £15 a year to subscribe to the Supporters Club and you get sent meet cards etc so you're fully aware of what's going on.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It’s £180 per day with my local pack apparently, and you can’t just rock up, it’s strictly by prior arrangement with the secretary unless you’re one of the chosen few. It’s a lot of money to lose if you get a non scenting day/are constantly hassled by the antis.

palo1

Visit site
It's perfectly sensible to go on a pay as you go basis and you should be made welcome every time! I hunted for about 4 seasons on that basis before subscribing and never felt anything other than valued and included. We always make our occasional and regular visitors feel like they are a treat for us (which they are: it's lovely to have new company in the field!). A number of hunts will include non-subscribers on their hunt info lists but probably only once you have come along a few times. If you are friendly with one of the subscribers just ask them to let you know about particular meets or dates that you are able to do. For hunt secretaries a subscriber is gold though: that regular income and knowing that the support is there is hugely reassuring financially and in terms of the local hunting 'community' so whilst there is a big incentive to encourage people to come along on a pay as you go basis there will always be the hope that you may become a subscriber!! If you do subscribe (and you should work out how many days hunting would make that cheaper) it is rather different but do whatever works best for you. :)

palo1

Visit site
It’s £180 per day with my local pack apparently, and you can’t just rock up, it’s strictly by prior arrangement with the secretary unless you’re one of the chosen few. It’s a lot of money to lose if you get a non scenting day/are constantly hassled by the antis.

That sounds grim to be honest :( Some of the more rural or less posh hunts are about £15 cap and the antis don't usually reckon they are worth travelling for!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Back in the day when I was hunting in the West Country we’d look through the schedule of meets which were all at that time listed weekly in Horse and Hound. Then we’d pick and choose which meets we could hack to, or blag a lift to, and turn up on the day with £10 cap/field money to a warm welcome from whichever pack it was.

I was stunned when we moved here and discovered what a kerfuffle it was to just go out for the odd day with the local pack. They wanted £50 for a midweek meet in 1986 - there was no way I could afford that.

Shay

Visit site
You should be fine hunting on a "pay as you go" basis - and indeed with many different packs if you have that option. It is normal only to provide meet cards to subscribers. This is just to minimize the antisocial actions of those opposed. But you can usually get access to the cards / phone line or whatever method your hunt uses by joining the supporters club. (You are likely to have to provide a referee as some seek to misuse this route!). Alternatively speak to your Secretary every time you are free and ask if there is anything going on. Some packs also offer a discounted 7 or 10 day package which is slightly cheaper than the full per day.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have always PAYG, one hunt did a ticket for X number of days for Y amount,
the most recent I just paid per day, subscribing was encouraged obviously but they know I had no transport so could only get to the few hackable meets.
I've always expected them to be cagey about meet cards previous pack I mentioned people I knew they'd knew, most recent pack actually seemed a bit less bothered, think I just said who I'd been out with before. Their secretary was completely lovely and super welcoming (as were the rest of them tbh).

Fred66

Visit site
I think our local hunt allows a couple of days on a pay as you go basis after that then you would have to buy a package of six days.

asmp

Visit site
Our riding club membership allows you to hunt 4 times a year with the local hunt. Perhaps other riding clubs have this arrangement?

spacefaer

Visit site
Most packs allow visitors (ie non subscribers) to visit around 3 days a season - after that it is much more cost effective to buy a package - a book of tickets for between 5 and 10 days. They usually average out cheaper than paying full visitor's cap.
If you buy a book of tickets, you should find it easier to get meet information and be able to plan ahead.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The one issue I've had with books of tickets is that I do actually need to know the planned meets first to check I can get to enough :D. I do think it's best if they can be fairly flexible with relative newcomers as we may well become subscribers eventually, when time and finances finally allow.

Kat

Visit site
Do you have a local bloodhound pack? They are much less secret squirrel about meets, the pack I go with publish all meets on their Facebook page and it is all PAYG, no membership or subscriptions. I think the other local bloodhound pack are similar too.

Reactions: TGM

Michen

Visit site
I’ve never subscribed. Hunted with 6 different packs last season depending on what I fancied/what meets were on when. Getting meet details when not a drag or bloodhound a little tricky but doable!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think our hunt does a sort of ticket system, I don't know the details but it is a sort of pay as you go. Hunts prefer subscribers though for the obvious reason that they have got the money up front to pay the wages and running costs.

If you want to do this I guess it might be a good idea to get yourself known, so go along on foot and get introduced to the important people, and go the social things too.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes I’ve done this for trail and drag hunting as I don’t go regularly enough to subscribe. Agree re joining the supporters club and getting to know the secretary better. Personally I prefer the openness of drag hunting for finding out what’s on and where.

spacefaer

Visit site
I’ve never subscribed. Hunted with 6 different packs last season depending on what I fancied/what meets were on when. Getting meet details when not a drag or bloodhound a little tricky but doable!

We went out with 6 packs last season too - it's good to be able to pick meets and going to suit the horses and it's fun to go new places and meet different people too.

VWH, Ledbury, Meynell, South Shropshire, Albrighton & Woodland, Wheatland (can't think of any more!)
Got days planned with the Wynnstay and the Heythrop as well this season

We just ring the Secs and get recommendations of days that might suit the horses (country, going etc) - never had a problem tbh.