hunting beginner

c.f.r.g

New User
Visit site
i am planning on going hunting for the first time just after christmas and i have an idea on what to wear but dont want to overdress or underdress, so would anyone be able to help me on what to wear? and i would also be grateful for any tips just in general.
thank you!

spacefaer

Visit site
Copied from the pinned post at the top of this page
Ring the secretary first to check that they are allowing visitors that day.
Always say good morning to the master.
Show your horse/pony the hounds at the meet.
Pay your cap whilst at the meet (ask the seceratry how much it is at it does vary from hunt to hunt)
Always stay with and behind the fieldmaster unless otherwise told
Always follow the fieldmaster or hunt staffs instuctions - they are providing your sport
Always turn your horse to face to hounds when they pass and move out of the way for the hunstman or the whip
Wait your turn at a fence and if you hit a rail, tell the fieldmaster straight away so they can get it sorted
Always shut gates
If you leave before the day has finished, ask the fieldmaster for the way home and say goodnight
If your horse might kick, red ribbon. If it is young or is the first time out, green ribbon.
Only people over 18 should wear black/navy coats. Anyone younger should be in ratcatcher
Offer to open gates for hunt staff if they need to get through
Never ride on crops or stand on them. You are on the farmer's land by their permission, and it is only fair to treat it respectfully
If you don't want to jump, don't panic there is always a way round and others who do not want to jump also.
If there is a gate next to a jump that you wish to go through, do not open it and go through it until everyone that wants to jump has jumped.
Do not obstruct the public on roads or elsewhere
Always thank the public even if they are rude or difficult
Go well into a field when leaving a road to give others room
Keep together crossing roads, and single file riding along roads
This may seem a little overwhelming but remember:
Good manners cost nothing

First and foremost; have fun. The start of the day will seem like a rugby scrum but about 15 minutes in, it all calms down and is simply fantastic.

spacefaer

Visit site
Navy or black hunt coat
Beige breeches
Black boots, warm socks
Dark hat cover (if wearing a crash hat)
Gloves (so your fingers aren't falling off by 1pm)
If it's cold, a wool sweater or thermal vest under your stock shirt
Plain white stock and simple stock pin
Hairnet - keeps long hair out of the way and prevents your coat getting soaked through down your back if it's raining!

Horse- dark tack, numnah, plaited. Boots only if absolutely necessary as they tend to rub after several hours in muddy conditions. Neckstrap is also helpful
And a strong enough bit that you can stop in, if your horse decides to ignore you and run with his new, exciting mates!