Hunting boots for a pony

Flash_28

Visit site
I'm looking at taking my NF pony hunting at the beginning of next season as I want to work on his fitness and not rush him as he is an older pony. But wondering what boots I should get him to help protect his legs. He is 13.2 and takes a pony size boot. I saw some really nice eventing air cooling boots but they would come up too big for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Flash_28

Visit site
Premier equine for the air cooled version, or Clarendon (leather outer and super strong) are my favourites.

I was looking at the P. Equine air cooled boots but they don't go down to his sizw which is very unfortunate. Their pony sixes are for 14hh + which I think will just be too big for him. :( Will look at Clarendon. Thank you.

Thank you. They look rather posh and a bit like the P. Equine boots. I have contacted them to see if they will fit my 13.2 as he normally takes small pony boots. A totally newbie to hunting but want to make sure he comes back in one piece.

JenHunt

Visit site
I would also advise against using boots out hunting unless you really have to!

there's too much risk of rubs, and over heating tendons, and the boots slipping and causing a trip/fall!

that said... my sister hunted her horse in Prolite event boots for 5 years and never had any problems, even in our legendary bogs! don't know how small they go though.

Flash_28

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use Dalmars...too many horror stories of the strike guard shattering into the tendon

Wow! I'm so glad that you mentioned that as I will now totally avoid them!!

When I did a little search a lot of people said that they didn't boot for hunting. Both of us (pony and myself) are brand new to hunting and starting in August with some hound exercise as a taster. So any tips that come my way I would be more than grateful :D

I was worrying about leaving my pony unbooted as he is now 21 almost 22 and I have had him since he was a yearling so he is rather special to me. While he is in good nick for his age I want to try and protect him as much as I possibly can.

BombayMix

Visit site
I never booted to go hunting. Well I lie - the first time I took my thin skinned TB I put boots on him as I didn't know if there could be hideous acrobatics! he was fine but got little rubs (boots fit him well) when I was hunting him from then on I never booted him again and he never had any nicks or anything