Hunting & Facebook - views please

Angelbones

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if you could give me your views on something.

What do you think about people putting photos up on their facebook page of their day out hunting? Photos can be of the field or include hunt staff. Sometimes they may be entitled 'cubbing' or 'autumn hunting at xxx' type thing.

If your privacy settings are set to just friends, is that good enough? Do you think it is just an unwise thing to do? Should it be your own choice as your facebook is your own personal page? Provided everyone is hunting within the law should it be an issue?

I don't mean openly publishing the meet card on fb.

This is part of a more complicated scenario but thought it would be interesting to see what other people's perspective is on such things.

Many thanks :)

Hunters

Visit site
Cubbing is just a 'term' it is not an admission of any wrong doing. I am always pleased to see photos of people out hunting, whether it be drag or trail. I certainly don't want the censorship police stopping me seeing others out having fun in the countryside :p

cptrayes

Visit site
There are no rights to your own image in the UK.

If a person doesn't feel comfortable being seen doing what they are doing then they should think twice about doing it in public.

Bernster

Visit site
I have to say it makes me a bit uncomfortable, not because I feel guilty about it or anything, but because of the reaction of others which I'd just rather not get into. Saying that, I have posted a few pics on my FB which is friends only but I realise that means they could get re-printed etc. I'd rather not have my piccies bandied about on other people's sites without knowing what they will be used for but I realise there isn't much you can do about it when you're out in public.

I didn't like it when someone (clearly not a supporter) took photos of me out hunting in the same way I wouldn't like them taking a photo of me say in the supermarket. I know it's a public place but I felt like it was an invasion of my privacy to blatantly take a picture of my face. A total minefield and may not be logical or consistent, but personally I thought it was rude, and I know they weren't being taken for any nice reason.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
With pictures of people/the public in general (ie people I don't know) in any activity, unless it is just a general 'crowd' shot, if faces are clearly visible I'd hesitate about posting.
However a general shot ie peoples backs, unclear faces etc I dont think are an issue.

Does that make any sense?

cptrayes

Visit site
in the same way I wouldn't like them taking a photo of me say in the supermarket. I know it's a public place but I felt like it was an invasion of my privacy to blatantly take a picture of my face. A total minefield and may not be logical or consistent, but personally I thought it was rude, and I know they weren't being taken for any nice reason.

I see your point. The French have a privacy law to stop things like that.

acw295

Visit site
My cover photo in facebook is of me out hunting - happens to be Bloodhounds. It's a cracking photo! And it was a moment of madness that is unlikely to ever be repeated (is of me jumping something enormous by my standards).

I'm very choosy about who I have as a friend on facebook and do have my photos restricted to friends only.

But I wouldn't publish anything online that I wouldn't be happy for anyone to see. I don't see the need to hide the fact that I occasionally go hunting though! Am more ashamed of some of the holiday photos of me in a bikini :/

tootsietoo

Visit site
I love seeing people's pics of hunting days. Most of my hunting Facebook friends seem to have a hunting picture of themselves as their profile pic!

Very interesting, as I was just thinking this morning about how great it would be to have a hunt Facebook page which members could link their photos to, so all members of the Facebook page could see them. It would be so useful for publicising events and also for last minute weather updates. However, I would be very worried about privacy, and I would want to look into whether the privacy settings allowed enough control over who could see information.

I've also posted a few videos of the hounds I've walked this season which our huntsman liked seeing, and we agreed it would be a good way of keeping people in touch over the summer and updating about hounds, kennels etc.

Has anyone else done this?

PortwayPaddy

Visit site
My Facebook profile picture is of me out on my big grey. Our hunt (Bloodhounds) even have a face book page with a photo album.

There are also photos of us Foxhunting. We are pretty easy to spot when we are out. My profile picture on here is of us ready to hack on to a Fox Hunting Meet.

I limit my viewing to friends.

I don't really think, if you have your privacy setting to friends only there should be a problem.

Paddy

Last edited:

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
I love seeing people's pics of hunting days. Most of my hunting Facebook friends seem to have a hunting picture of themselves as their profile pic!

Very interesting, as I was just thinking this morning about how great it would be to have a hunt Facebook page which members could link their photos to, so all members of the Facebook page could see them. It would be so useful for publicising events and also for last minute weather updates. However, I would be very worried about privacy, and I would want to look into whether the privacy settings allowed enough control over who could see information.

I've also posted a few videos of the hounds I've walked this season which our huntsman liked seeing, and we agreed it would be a good way of keeping people in touch over the summer and updating about hounds, kennels etc.

Has anyone else done this?

Yes, we have a hunt page which is purely for photographs and publicising events that are happening. We have found it is a useful way of communicating with a generation who prefer to social network and e-mail to get the information they want. We will also allow adverts for horses and hunt kit for sale.

When we print up events leaflets for shows we add the 'Find us on Facebook' logo that Facebook let you use too.

Following the MFHA advice we restricted the posting privileges to administrators only so that photos wouldn't be posted willy nilly and continued to have the group so you had to request membership. I no longer post photos of hunt officials on this page, although I continue to add pictures of members (for the time being only) as newcomers I may not yet know in person like to see the photos I have snapped.

On my personal page I have the settings set very private, am very picky about the friend requests I accept and thus post a greater selection of pictures. I always exercise common sense about what I take and where I post it so that nothing could be open to misinterpretation.

tootsietoo

Visit site
That sounds great Claire, I might offer to set one up. I am wondering, though - even if we are picky about who is a member of the group, if one of those members comments on a picture or post and happens to have very low level privacy settings, will the picture or post + comments then be seen by anyone who looks at their page? That's not ideal really. I must investigate.