Hunting in a BP....

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
BBs has just made me giggle, as i am like her, & wear a BP for XC but not for hunting, unless i am riding a loon and then i wear my BRIGHT BLUE one, over my jacket, & i wear tweed & brown gaiters so its obvious i'm on a loony tune, (quite why i feel the need to wear tweed & brown when what ever i'm sat on is normally cavorting like a nutter) but hunting normally, i'd never be seen dead in a BP.... which TBH is daft!

just goes to show how odd we all are! (or me at least!)

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
im exactly like you...i always wear a BP x-country, even if its just schooling privately, but dont wear one out hunting (i did when i first started going, but not anymore). its stupid, especially since last year i fell off and broke my collarbone...!

hayliana

Visit site
having not been hunting before, can i ask, is it a vanity thing? do you look particularly stupid/neurotic in them when on the hunting field?

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
if your racing one is anything like mine i think my hunt coat offers more protection!! have to say i used to use that one far mor then my eventing one, but made the mistake of lending it to someone and i ahven't seen it since, which is a pain,

Weezy

Visit site
There is no way I would be comfortable hunting in a BP all day - IMHO they are a nuissance and I never feel comfortable wearing one (and mine is a super duper RacingLite one that IS comfy as far as BPs go - just I cant jump properly in it and have to adapt my style and I dont like that)

becky17

Visit site
I hate doing any sort of riding in a BP i feel like i cant breath in it....unless it is just too tight..lol! also i feel like im more likely to fall off with one on!! is that just me or does anyone else feel like that???

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
would never hunt in a BP either - only wear one for xc as its the rules and I used to when I rode out the racehorses but only because I got so used to having to wear it when I was riding out in Oz. Some people wear them all the time but I just can't do it. I never wear for breaking in either which is my main job as I don't feel I can lay over a youngster properly in a BP. Also makes me feel like I am more likely to fall off as it makes me sit upright and stiff.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I sometimes wear mine. I don't if I know there isn't going to be any jumping, or not much, but I do tend to if I don't know whats going to happen.

Hate it though, makes me looks about 13!!
crazy.gif

bandit

Visit site
i'm with you RD - never hunt in one - frankly think it would be the most uncomfortable thing to hunt in!!! my long leather boots are bad enough LOL!!!

I do for XC though, and XC schooling but only since i bought one in Dec 06.

Jumped 2 BE courses out hunting too without a BP - Stilemans and Munstead!!

Bx

Beanyowner

Visit site
I don't wear a BP when out hunting either...like someone else said it is VERY restrictive and I feel more likely to topple off the side!!!! I do wear one XC at competitions but I am guilty at not wearing one when XC schooling at home...Usually I go for a hack and cut back through the XCC and just pop over a few fences so its a little bit of disorganisation more than anything!!!
crazy.gif

kick_On

Visit site
elo RD - good one
i think it's ALL about your personnel risk assessment.
In hunting field people wear bowlers and bealers and that's what they feel comfortable with, then some wear BP and that's fine for them, not a problem.
I choose not to wear as i find it can restrict my movement and flow whilst jumping and gate opening etc.....
I also feel that not being padded up to the eye balls makes you more aware about how NOT to hit the deck, and i do feel that we are dumbling down in this 'namble pamble state'
cos BP certaining don't not protect all serious injuries.
I use this as an example ' Speed kills' - not it doesn't, inapproirate(sp) USE of speed kills - Where has personnel responabilblity (sp) disappeared to theses day????
better hop of my high horse - just my opinion
grin.gif

Farm Kat

Visit site
I don't actually hunt, but refuse to wear a BP unless it is absolutely critical that I have to, and no way out, I call them 'fall off wrappers', as I seem to take flying lessons everytime I wear one, and for some reason end up with injuries caused by the body protector, ie it digging in and bruising, or just land on my head. Mum has a collection of them, I don't even own one, but I am looking at getting a racesafe, as they seem less restictive, I would like to XC nothing big, but the BF would go mad if he saw other people wearing one, and me not bothering as I don't like it.