Hunting in a working hunter saddle?

Olderrider73

Visit site
Hi all, a couple months ago I went on my shared horse out on a training meet it was my very first time in my whole life and it was very fast paced. Anyway my friend/horse owner suggested that I ride in his Black Country working hunter show saddle as it looks the part for the hunt which I did but it was a very slippery saddle and I didn’t feel very secure in it, its cut more like a dressage saddle and we do use it for low level dressage. I really don’t know how I stayed on! Tbh. do you think as it was my first time out hunting I should be in a more secure saddle like his GP saddle next time? I didn’t jump though.

Jellymoon

Visit site
You must be very good to cope with a fast paced day in a show saddle!!

Everyone I see out is in a jump saddle, even if they are not jumping, I to it’s more balanced for all the cantering in a two point seat you have to do.

honetpot

Visit site
I always buy WH saddles for everything, and I have not found them a problem to ride in. Most have a small knee roll, and you should be able to balance fine. Some saddles are coated leather and they are just slippery.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Use your GP saddle. WH saddles are for the show ring only and are difficult to jump in at the best of times.

Agree with this I have one for one of my Arabs and don't even use it anymore as his really sharp and I really don't feel secure in it at all, I much prefer a gp or dressage saddle they have a deeper seat.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I hunt in a WH saddle and find it much more comfortable than the GP, but it has reasonably large velcro knee rolls and I tend to feel more secure riding with long stirrups than short. The GP I am comparing it too is an uncomfortable saddle all round though, so not the fairest comparison.