Hunting in Canada.

Enfys

Visit site
A friend recently rode at her first ever Meet, and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

12191894_10154313862878989_6724571087988879833_n.jpg

I didn't notice the tack at first, considered perfectly normal here by the way. I wonder how that would go down in the UK - or just shrugged shoulders and "hey, another bum on a saddle" I could imagine what some people of my acquaintance would say if I turned up with my traditional (Colombian) tack, not to mention the clockwork pony. No, on second thoughts, I just couldn't bring myself to do it (my horse, my tack I mean, not my friends turnout)

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
I quite agree, they all look very smart. By the way Enfys, what do they hunt in Canada? Not those pesky chipmunks?:)

PMSL. These:

October%202015133.jpg

Anything else and it involves bows or rifles:) Deer season at the moment, I dare not go out in the woods, hi viz or not, too risky.

Last edited:

chillipup

Visit site
Yes, I read your other post with photos; you have to wear hi-viz to stop you getting shot by hunters..that's pretty scary! Does hunting occur in the National Parks, or just in the wild, or both?

Enfys

Visit site
Unless you have a 'No Hunting' sign on your property (and even then they can claim they didn't see it, or were tracking an injured animal) they hunt anywhere they like. Obviously they start on 'friendly' territory as it were.

We have thousands of acres of woodland here (great riding) some Crown Land, some privately owned, but all this week (deer season right now) it has been like living on a shooting range from dawn until dusk. Lots of orange jacketed folk buzzing about on ATV's and stuffed in the back of trucks. We haven't been riding in the woods without hi-viz for weeks now, but even so, it is dodgy, bullets stray.

Last edited:

smja

Visit site
It looks smart...don't think anyone would be bothered! Have to say that I wouldn't fancy taking on meaty hedges in that saddle, though :D

Enfys

Visit site
It looks smart...don't think anyone would be bothered! Have to say that I wouldn't fancy taking on meaty hedges in that saddle, though :D

No, the very thought of it makes me cringe :( Horns and leaping do not go hand in hand, there is a technique - as in hang on to the horn to keep your belly from meeting it :( My saddles are the same basic style but have a 'handle' rather than a horn, very useful ;)

A photo I took at a competition we were at in summer shows exactly why ... ooooooof :( (he was OK, but we all drew in a collective breath watching him, the men winced ;) )

Marmora%202015174.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Hi Enfys, Was Just About to Ask You If You'd Had Any Snow Yet....... But Looking At The Photo, I Would Say No..... LOL LOL LOL

I think that photo was back in September, but no, no snow in our bit of Ontario yet, having a bit of an Indian summer recently which is nice, we don't usually get any snow worth mentioning ( talking 6" + and staying ) until about Christmas.

Enfys

Visit site
I didn't notice the tack until you said about it! Wouldn't fancy jumping a drop hedge in it haha

Damn dangerous things those horns are! For that competition (Xtreme Cowboy Racing) western or stock saddles are compulsory, yet the courses invariably include jumps - someone always gets hurt :(