Hunting in Warwickshire

Foxterrierist

Visit site
As a new-ish rider I'm wondering if it's possible to tag along with the hunt without having to do any jumps or go too fast.

Also concerned about the vigilantes as they seem pretty bad in this area.

spacefaer

Visit site
Depends which pack you are planning on hunting with. The Warwickshire definitely have a reputation for hedges and speed - it's easier to keep away from the sabs if the field keep moving!
The Croome and West Warwickshire have a dedicated non jumping field master which might suit you better.
It also depends what you mean by "not too fast " You should be able to canter and gallop across an open field without being worried - even the non jumping field slips on when hounds are running

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Hunts have a newcomers day usually in October. You will be buddied with an experienced member who will guide and inform you and do their best to ensure you have a top day. There are usually a number of followers at the back of the field who want to go at a steadier pace and don’t want to jump and you would be welcome to join them. Your horse may have different ideas though ?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The CWW is a lovely friendly pack and would welcome you warmly. A pleasant and non jumping morning would be at Ragley or Spetchley. The Peopleton area has some decent hedges but again there is normally a way round. I spent many wonderful seasons hunting with CWW and only frightened myself a few times.

The Warwickshire is a different country entirely and you need a very decent horse to cross it.

gunnergundog

Visit site
The Warwickshire do have some days when they have a non-jumping Field Master in attendance. You will need to phone the Secretary to find out when. (There is a new website that was posted this week with all the contact information.)

Re sabs, the Warwickshire do have a very well organised group of 'pink jackets' on foot for marshalling.

oldie48

Visit site
I've had non jumping friends who hunted regularly with the Croome and WW. My daughter also used to go out with them and found them very helpful and friendly. We are just in their country and find them really considerate when they are around, unlike the other hunt which is a near neighbour!

spacefaer

Visit site
Thanks for suggestions! I'm definitely interested in getting out there but was under the impression it was a bit of a closed club. Having looked at both websites it seems like they're welcome to newcomers :)
All hunts welcome newcomers - they can be wary of giving out information to people they don't know, for obvious reasons. Sometimes secretaries can be hard to get hold of, particularly in the summer, if they're farmers!