Hunting on National Trust Land

Suelin

Visit site
This is NT policy and always has been:

The National Trust is very much aware of the importance of countryside traditions. We allow field sports to take place on our property where traditionally practised, providing they are within the law and are compatible with the Trust's purposes, which include public access and the protection of rare animals and birds and fragile habitats.

The Trust is a charitable body, and as such cannot take a political position either for or against field sports.

The Trust's general position on field sports remains unchanged by its decision in 1997 not to renew licences for the hunting of red deer. This decision was taken following the publication of the Bateson report, from which the Trust's Council concluded that hunting red deer with hounds caused suffering incompatible with the Trust's responsibility for the welfare of red deer on its property. These findings relate to red deer only.

The Trust therefore continues to permit other forms of hunting as well as shooting and fishing where appropriate, subject to controls and licences.

Many thanks for this. It clears up my previous misconception.

WestCoast

Visit site
I don't entirely understand your response. I asked if I had offended you, or been offensive towards you.

I suspect paulag, that you are a rather sad and vulgar person. Just a pointer for you, being sad and vulgar has nothing to do with class, but everything to do with breeding, and good breeding is a quality as easily found in a Council House, as a Castle

Alec.

I posted an opinion that to support those who break the law, especially one designed to prevent cruelty to animals wasn't a good thing to do. You attacked me for it. Not desperately offended as I am aware that there are people out there who think that way.

This isn't vulgar it is simply expressing an opinion. Although who on earth uses that word as an insult? There isn't much wrong with being considered vulgar by someone who enjoys killing animals for fun. And good breeding - I believe that generally refers to a certain degree of inbreeding so no, I'm pretty sure I don't have that.

Paula

happyhunter123

Visit site
I posted an opinion that to support those who break the law, especially one designed to prevent cruelty to animals wasn't a good thing to do. You attacked me for it. Not desperately offended as I am aware that there are people out there who think that way.

This isn't vulgar it is simply expressing an opinion. Although who on earth uses that word as an insult? There isn't much wrong with being considered vulgar by someone who enjoys killing animals for fun. And good breeding - I believe that generally refers to a certain degree of inbreeding so no, I'm pretty sure I don't have that.

Paula

Ah, the classic misunderstanding, that we go out to just to 'kill animals for fun'. Heard that old rubbish so many times, I can tell you. You drag hunt, don't you? The attraction is similar, but the hunting is more interesting, more exciting and more natural as well as serving a fairly useful purpose for our countryside (as opposed to drag hunting which serves no purpose at all). I've have been hunting hundreds of times in my life, and have never seen the kill up close. Well, I've seen it on the other side of the valley, and not even known it had happened until the huntsman blew his horn.

Believe me, the idea that someone could take pleasure solely from taking an animals' life is not one I like much. With hunting, you don't. I alway see it like this: the tracking and pursuit of the quarry is the part we enjoy. The kill is the part that the hounds enjoy, and also pleases the farmers. I know it may be hard for you to grasp that, but can you at least try?

TTK

Visit site
Petition signed and BTW, I gave up my membership of the NT years ago due to their attitude to horse riders & access to their land in general - they like walkers & cyclists but seem to abhor riders.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
The NT would land themselves in hot water if they banned the hunts!

I shoot on NT land. And when we're not blasting poor defenseless little birdies out of the sky, we're doing all the maintenance a good shoot should. So not only do the NT make money from us, but they don't have to lift a finger to look after the site either.

Now imagine the dent to the figures if the country sports folk just stopped turning up. Not only would a massive source of income vanish (and there's little else you can charge for on land which has no specific interest other than being a nice walk!) and THEN they'd have to pay people to go manage it!

It's a no brainer. The antis are the ones with their heads in the clouds on this one!

WestCoast

Visit site
National Trust statement;

Since our last post, in light of the fact that members of the Meynell and South Staffordshire Hunt have recently been convicted of illegal fox hunting, the Trust has decided not to grant a licence for the 2012-2013 season over its land at Ilam, Kedleston and Calke. The National Trust is very much aware of the importance of countryside traditions. We allow field sports to take place on our property where traditionally practised, providing they are within the law and are compatible with the Trust's purposes, which include public access and the protection of rare animals and birds and fragile habitats. The Trust is a charitable body, and as such cannot take a political position either for or against field sports."

I know many did not feel that they wanted to post on this thread due to abuse received by those of us who pointed out that members of this hunt broke the law and did not deserve support. Hopefully this decision will convince all hunts that use NT land that drag or mock hunting, rather than considering themselves above the law, is the way to go.

Paula

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Presumably then, this NT policy will (has ?) affect other hunts that have been found guilty of illegal fox hunting ?
I think they have to be careful, as isn't it the case that landowners allowing illegal hunting on their land are liable to prosecution too.

paddi22

Visit site
it is infuriating on a forum when a member disagrees with a poster and then the poster says they are being 'attacked'. There is nothing wrong with a debate. it doesn't mean someone is being attacked!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree with happyhunter & paddi. Perhaps it would be good to maybe consider that nobody objects to a differing opinion, but the manner in which it is expressed.

WestCoast

Visit site
Yes I agree - the people concerned should have thought carefully before calling me an anti, a deliberate trouble maker, sad and vulgar and (my particular favorite) having no breeding. The assertion that no one objects to a differing opinion is clearly ludicrous.

I, on the other hand, only critisised those that break the law, those that support them, and those that enjoy killing/torturing animals for fun (as opposed to when it is necessary). If someone chooses to be offended I assume it is because they include themselves in these groups.

As I've said repeatedly, my only contributions in hunting have been this thread, and the other one supporting the lawbreakers.

And yes, I am sure the NT will apply the rules to other hunts caught breaking the law. What - did you think breaking rules had no consequences?

Paula

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think re reading the thread maybe a good idea. It comes across that whilst you think its ok to criticize those for hunting, you don't like the same by return. I can only speak for myself, whilst I respect the view of someone who agrees with the ban, I have little respect for a view based on hunting being only for the rich, or all hunting people enjoying needless torturing of wildlife. An informed but different view I can respect, a misinformed one that has to rely on phrases such as pond life, I cannot. Again, it is the wording, not the opinion that I for one dislike.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Oh yes of course - all those poor people that can afford to keep a horse and all the paraphernalia. Oh sorry - I forgot, the plebs happily follow the toffs on foot for a good bit of ripping apart of wildlife.

Ah yes that excellent statistic best know for the ASA serving a cease and desist notice on the CA for fraudulent advertising.

Yes of course when the vaste majority disagree with what you do then they must be stupid not to see the noble selflessness of what you are doing. Ah hang on. . .

Jeez guys, get over yourselves and do something useful with your time. Or jusT go drag hunting like those of us who aren't pond life were doing 30 years ago.

It appeared on the latest post feed and kinda assumed it was in support of throwing the lawbreakers off national trust land.

You need to sent up your own private forum if you don't want to be criticised.

Sorry I regard people who consider hunting a living creature for kicks acceptable pond life - live with it, it's not like you care what people think..

Paula

I, on the other hand, only critisised those that break the law, .........

Paula

So considering your last offering, and your previous statements, you consider those who act within the law to be Pond-life, do you?

What was it? "I, on the other hand, only criticise those that break the law." Clearly, you don't restrict your vindictive bile to law breakers, you share it out amongst law abiding citizens too, it seems.

I suspect that 30 years of drag hunting may have had some effect. ;)

Alec.

sykokat

Visit site
Oh dear!! here we go again! resorting to insults. us 'pond life' do not all have 'pots' of money and are not all 'toffs' (my phrase) but still value the hunting lifestyle and what it stands for. you wont win this argument on a forum that is predominantly pro hunt. maybe you should bat for the 'other side'. they must have a forum that you may be listened to Paulag.
you are just on a losing wicket here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

happyhunter123

Visit site
Those that enjoy killing/torturing animals for fun (as opposed to when it is necessary)

Paula

But that, I'm afraid isn't factual :). We don't, like I told you in one of my previous posts! the kill is not the enjoyable part. Honestly, if that's all we wanted to do, I'd be on your side. That's not to say the kill isn't important (it is in some ways), but I can tell you of hundreds of days I've had which have been 'good day's hunting' without a kill (some of the best days hunting I've had have been when we've lost the quarry at the end), and hundreds of poor days with a kill. The enjoyable part is the search for and hunt of the quarry (during which I think it is unlikely that the quarry animal suffers).
If people knew this fact, I think there would be far fewer people opposing hunting! ;)

SophieAlice

Visit site
Ive signed it! its redic that they have been banned!! people do much worse things in life!
The mynell look like they have more people signing there petition anyway :D

Last edited: