hunting phone...?

L&M

Visit site
What do people use for hunting? I never use my phone on the field but like the security of having one on me in an emergency.

Have recently upgraded to an android phone form my old Nokia 'brick', so can keep up to date with hunt info/meet changes on what's app etc, but ironically then too large and delicate to put in a hunt coat pocket!

Any recommendations?

Thanks

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you wear a body protector, I find you can lodge a phone horizontally across the top of the bust, then heave the zip up another 2 or 3 inches. I've done this for xc schooling on occasions and forgotten it was even there. Mine is in a decent leather holder with closing front flap.
A friend drag hunts and pops hers in this way, but inserts it into a small self seal freezer bag 1st to keep it from any really bad weather.
Another has had an extra pocket sewn into her hunt coat purely for new phone!

Reactions: L&M

Hackback

Visit site
I have a runner's belt as its flatter than a bum bag and fits snugly round my waist under my jacket. I would love some waterproof insulated winter breeches with a phone pocket (phone is waterproof anyway) but they don't seem to exist in beige, although admittedly I haven't looked this year yet. I found some lighter weight ones for autumn hunting though.

palo1

Visit site
I used to have a hunting phone (a Nokia 3310) but then I upgraded to a pretty basic rugged smart phone. You can get quite neat rugged phones that will take any amount of punishment and have a good battery life but not so snazzy as a 'proper' smartphone. That means you can still get useful apps (OS etc). I love mine and have no need of anything better. It fits in either my breeches pocket or my coat pocket.

L&M

Visit site
I used to have a hunting phone (a Nokia 3310) but then I upgraded to a pretty basic rugged smart phone. You can get quite neat rugged phones that will take any amount of punishment and have a good battery life but not so snazzy as a 'proper' smartphone. That means you can still get useful apps (OS etc). I love mine and have no need of anything better. It fits in either my breeches pocket or my coat pocket.
Can I ask what make you have please? Many thanks

palo1

Visit site

spacefaer

Visit site
I've seen various options
A friend has a small waterproof camera bag - it's padded and she clips it to the front of her saddle. (As long as you don't fall off!)
Most seem to stick it in a pocket but I'd agree the latest phones are a bit fragile/large for that.
I've been toying with buying a cheap, small payg handset that fits in my pocket and I won't worry about in the rain etc I would just put essential phone nos in.

I've recently got a rugged phone though - an oukitel - which has more functionality than my last Samsung handset so it'd be fine to take out. It's heavier though so I'm worried I'll find it annoying. I'm still thinking about a little semi disposable one.

L&M

Visit site
Ha! My rugged smart phone rejoices in the name of 'Cubot KingKong Mini' here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUBOT-Kingkong-Mini-Smartphone-Waterproof/dp/B08212KXNH/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=90031128400&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-dK7znXNVOiQuhkSoDuW0-gMXv-FQVzQbzzkXnml2Zksm44hIxJpMaAmLgEALw_wcB&hvadid=408115493986&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045421&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=853327667617352886&hvtargid=kwd-832912307895&hydadcr=4180_1794990&keywords=cubot+kingkong+mini&qid=1627370574&sr=8-3&th=1

I love mine: the camera quality is even ok and it will run several apps perfectly fine. In fact it is loads better than other phones I have had now I consider it though I only really bought it for my clumsiness/lifestyle lol!

That looks perfect for an outdoors lifestyle, thank you.

I bough a caterpillar phone a few years ago that said it was waterproof - put it through the wash by mistake and it very definitely wasn't!!!

autumn7

Visit site
I second the Cubot KingKong Mini. I have sewn a cotton pocket in the lining of my hunt coat which closes with velcro to accommodate it. Perfect.
ETA Sorry, a bit late to this thread. Didn't realise. Visitors have just left and I'm catching up!