Hunting shirt

[42010]

Visit site
I am looking for an easy-to-look after, warm, long-sleeved, white, hunting shirt.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received, especially if the recommendations are glowing about a shirt I am really missing out not owning currently!?

Even if they are shirts that you love/rave about that are not specifically hunting shirts but ones that you use for hunting, nevertheless.

Thank you in advance!

chesnutty

Visit site
I absolutely love my equetech foxhunter shirt, its so soft and a pleasure to put on on a freezing cold morning. Often wear a thermal vest underneath, and then a wool waistcoat on the very cold days too.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I found I think Equitech do polar fleece hunting stock shirts. I want one of those to try.

I have been known to wear my normal Caldene stretchy stock shirt & stock, then a knitted V neck jumper, then waistcoat, then hunt coat. I do feel the cold terribly, and will have fleece lined tights under my breeches (Asda, £6 - BEST BUY EVER!)

spacefaer

Visit site
Hunting stock shirts are designed to wick -if you have a long run and get hot, there is nothing worse than a cold and clammy layer next to your skin - short of falling in a river, nothing will make you colder quicker.

Polo necks aren't really designed for the job - you won't be as warm

[42010]

Visit site
That makes sense spacefaer, I just can't find a hunting shirt that I like, is warm, white, doesn't require ironing (either the cuffs or collar always gets wrinkled in the wash - perhaps I shouldn't care so much and just wear it wrinkled, under a coat not many people can see it). Wish there was more choice than what people have come up with so far. In an ideal world I'd like to use a Helle Hansen base layer and sew a button on the neck, now there's a thought .....!!

Thanks again for your sound advice.

FireFly29

Visit site
Musto do a turtle neck thermal top in white. Its not a stock shirt but it is thermal wicking material and its fitted, may be worth a look?
Anky also do a technical fabric polo neck type top, but I think that comes in a pale ivory colour, not white, but I could be wrong!
I've got a Dublin hunt shirt that is comfy and reasonably priced, but its a very light cream colour.
:)

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I start off very conscientiously washing in non bio....then just chuck it in with everything else. It has more holes than a sieve from where my stock pin has been!!

[42010]

Visit site
Ooooh spacefaer, Mr Foxy sounds good - can you elaborate a bit more - love the sound of the no ironing - this sits well alongside my washing abilities (or lack of them) too. Poor hubbie, everything gets jumbled up in the same wash!!

asset2004

Visit site
I feel the cold terribly too CrazyMare. Do people ever wear polo necks instead of hunting stock shirts?

Yes I do. I also wear a silk t-shirt under the polo neck, several thin v neck jumpers, thicker v necked jumper, waistcoat and heavyweight hunt jacket. Standing joke at my hunt is to ask how many layers I have on!!
Best breeches I have tried are the Toggi Arctic ones, waterproof with a fleecy back. Usually wear a pair of tights under that too.
Can you tell I really feel the cold!!!?

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I wear a base layer under my shirt, have done for ages like someone else said you need something with wicking properties. Am wearing a base layer when out hunting already, although partly as it stops my neck getting so raw as well. I also feel the cold, so normally wear a decent base layer (think I sometimes wear two) my shoulder protection tshirt, stock shirt (thickish) then 1/2 v neck jumpers and my waistcoat then my jacket (will add more if needed) I look even skinnier in summer :) sometimes I do wear leggings underg breeches but now I windproof ones it's not as bad, and I wear good socks with insulated araits. Normally only have think gloves as found that if gloves to thick actually got colder as moving fingers less, always make sure fingers and toes can move freely!

[42010]

Visit site
Wow, fantastic replies and I thought I suffered from the cold!!!! Sadly Charly Fox hunting shirts are no longer being made. There are a few around in a size XL but apparently it was a cottage industry and the lady making them, has given up. I have gone for a Hunting Stock Market stock shirt after all. I couldn't get one in white as they don't do them in this colour, which was a shame, I only hope the shirt doesn't show under my navy coat and white stock when it comes to hunting proper (after the opening meet) as cream is going to look silly against a backdrop of a white stock. And yes I have my base layers in place too. Funnily enough I just wore a Helle Hansen base layer (in white with a zip neck) for autumn hunting this week (plus stock obviously) and it was lush. It was so warm but so light and no one knew it wasn't a 'proper' stock shirt.

I would definitely have gone for a Charly Fox hunting shirt if I could have found one in a white and a large but having trawled the internet, I think my luck was out. But thank you so much everyone for the fabulous replies and advice. What it is to be in the know!

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I'm pretty sure it won't show once you have your stock on, can always adjust your stock. Alot of shirts are beige anyway so it will look fine, would think quite a few people aren't wearing a white shirt with a white stock, (have a look at breakfast/tea)

JenHunt

Visit site
I've got a white Mr Foxy which has elasticated cuffs -no draughts and no ironing!

this! ^^ I have a mr foxy shirt too... it's about a million years old and although it's thoroughly faded (it was a yelllowy colour originally, now almost white) and starting to get a bit tatty, it's still warm and cosy. and being cotton it washes well too.

it has to be really really cold before I need anything underneath it, or between it and my jacket. :)

[42010]

Visit site
I have bought one from The Hunting Stock Market instead. They claim it is the warmest on the market.... will report back as soon as I have christened it. Does look very similar to the Charly Fox ones.

Fiagai

Visit site
I quite dislike the modern jersey style hunt shirts. I really don't know what happened to good quality heavy cotton shirts with proper buttons and hunt collar. A friend of mine has been able to source some in India. There must be a good marketing opportunity for some enterprising person .....

Doug

Visit site
What is the general consensus on the Shires male hunt shirt? Is it worth looking at or should I look at other brands?

spacefaer

Visit site
I quite dislike the modern jersey style hunt shirts. I really don't know what happened to good quality heavy cotton shirts with proper buttons and hunt collar. A friend of mine has been able to source some in India. There must be a good marketing opportunity for some enterprising person .....

I've got a vintage canary yellow wool Dege hunt shirt - buttons all the way down and button cuffs. It's absolutely gorgeous and I dread to think how much it was new, being from such prestigious tailors!

I haven't dared wear it out hunting yet as it's in new condition and I don't know how to wash it lol! It's very thin and light and amazingly warm though

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Due to summering a little too well I needed a new one but was determined to lose weight. So i went into the outdoor clothing place Trespass on Friday. Bought a white, cotton, soft stretchy roll neck sewed a button and a tag on the neck and it was a perfect substitute and extremely comfy....AND it cost £5.97 in the sale!!! Will do nicely for the time being.