Hunting while pregnant?

noblesteed

Visit site
Would you? There's a meet by our yard in 2 weeks, I'll be 17 weeks preggers by then. SO tempted but then not sure if it's worth the risk... I won't jump while pregnant. Horse is pretty ok, gets excited and bucks but nothing dreadful. He's for sale so may be the last time I get to go...
WWYD?

neweventer

Visit site
I would think carefully about it.
Riding is a risk sport at the best of times and you have to weight up the risks when considering riding.

For me I'm not against riding or even jumping whilst people are pregnant as long as people can accept the potential risks. I would however be a bit more concernned about hunting, where your horse has alot of others to feed off.

I personnaly wouldn't

Star_Chaser

Visit site
simple answer no I wouldn't but its a personal choice... you might need to check your insurance to see if there are any stipulations for starters. Might also be worth asking the hunt master as a courtesy.

nikCscott

Visit site
Could you compromise and both get dressed up and enjoy the meet and have some photos of you both looking super smart but not go out with them?

Cluny

Visit site
I can understand you wanting to go, but think about it this way, if you fell off and damaged your baby or lost it as a direct result, how would you feel and how would your partner feel?

I immediately stopped riding when I found out I was pregnant with both my children. I just felt that my babies were precious and I didnt want to risk them in any way.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Absolutely a personal choice (in my case after talking it through with OH and making sure he was okay with it) but I hunted my older horse and a new 4yo up till I was 5 months pregnant. My liveries knew but otherwise I kept it quiet until I started hearing rumours that my new young horse didn't jump (I was going round them by this time) at which point I got quite cross and announced it loudly at a check :eek:

I think it depends on your ability, your horse, the type of country you cover and how well you know it, what your record of staying aboard out hunting is like, and how your OH feels about it.

With my 2nd pregancy I was too far gone by the time the season started to contemplate it, but I'd spent the spring hunter trialling while pregnant.

One thing I didn't do, however, was ride other people's or liveries' horses - I felt that if I came off my own it was my own calculated risk and nobody to blame but me, but I would've hated putting anyone else in a position where they may have felt guilty for something which really wouldn't have been their fault.

L&M

Visit site
Sorry but I wouldn't - hunting is too unpredictable, and there are always other seasons.

I rode until 8 mnths pregnant, but by 6 mnths it was a matter of a 1/2 hr potter (not that I am suggesting you would be hunting then!!).

Hope all goes well x

Last edited:

Stark Dismay

Visit site
I wouldn't - there are too many factors out of you control. I rode till I was 7 months pregnant through 2 pregnancies, and even competed in showing and dressage competitions till I was 20 weeks. But there's a whole lot of difference between riding a pre-set test in an arena or going for a gentle hack with a couple of friends, and tearing around cross country not knowing where you are going to end up! Once pregnant I started following in the car, which is interesting in it's own way, and keeps you out there. This time next year you'll be able to go out on a horse again - it's only one season. (I was out on hound exercise 10 weeks after Child No.1 and at the opening meet 13 weeks after giving birth, and with Child No.2 I had sold my horse when I was pregnant, missed it, so went out and bought a youngster who I took out hunting 12 weeks after having my baby!)

It's not worth the risk for just one season.

noblesteed

Visit site
Thanks guys, you have made me feel a bit better! I think I will just hack up the meet in that case and come home again. At least it will be an excuse to get smarted up. That is if I can't find anyone who wants to take my horse instead!

Drakerath

Visit site
I hunted until 20 weeks when rising trot became unbearable with my bump. I didn't jump after 12 weeks.
Pre 12 weeks the feotus is well protected inside the pelvis. AFter 12 weeks it starts to rise up and is more exposed.
My horse was rock solid and steady and the hunt I went with was pretty sedate in hunting terms. I did little more than I would have done out hacking.

Hunters

Visit site
It's only 9 months of your life. Wait until after the baby is born. If you don't & something was to happen, you'll live with the guilt forever...

tootsietoo

Visit site
I hunted until I was 3 months pregnant, when I fell off. The ONLY reason I fell off is that I had decided to go out but not jump and of course we got to a place with a little rail where it was not easy to get round so I thought I'd just jump the little rail, but was worrying about it so much I rode like a muppet and fell off! I felt guilty and silly and I went home and didn't ride for another 4 years because I had the 2nd baby 16 months after the first! If you are going hunting you have to be completely committed to be safe, and certainly my head wasn't in the right place. So I wouldn't go if I was you.