hunting without jumping

Clarebear*

Visit site
Do you ever.... go hunting without jumping?? I cannot decide whether to take the 5 year old out or my older boy on sat.

The 5 year old has started jumping but I probably would not jump him out hunting until he has a little more education. He is sane, calm and confident and I think It could be good for him.

or I can just take my proven boy and do some jumping :)

Votes please. ...

spacefaer

Visit site
Depends on the pack. ... I've never not jumped, but if I'm out on a baby, II'll pick a hunt jump meet, or one where I'm confident I can make my way round. If it's a hedgey day, I wouldn't go !

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Yes I have seen people not jump there is usually a few which go around the jumps and still have a good day, but you can't beat tucking in after a proven jumper and going with the flow obviously after a good swig of sloe gin LOL have a great day !

Kat

Visit site
There are plenty that don't jump with the 4 shires, we have a non jumping field master and you don't have to jump anything if you don't want to.

Shay

Visit site
Speak to the secretary before you go. They can tell you. We usually have a jumping and non jumping line at weekends; but mid week can depend more on the ground covered.

L&M

Visit site
Agree with Shay - speak to the hunt sec and ask them to recommend a day that is suitable, and also ask if they have someone who can look after you that is not jumping too.

With our pack, the majority of meets you can get away with not jumping, but the last thing you want is to be separated from the pack and not knowing where you are or how to get back to the meet!

Have fun and hope it goes to plan!

L&M

Visit site
Agree with Shay - speak to the hunt sec and ask them to recommend a day that is suitable, and also ask if they have someone who can look after you that is not jumping too.

With our pack, the majority of meets you can get away with not jumping, but the last thing you want is to be separated from the pack and not knowing where you are or how to get back to the meet!

Have fun and hope it goes to plan!

tootsietoo

Visit site
I hunt with what is very much a jumping pack and am sometimes the only one out who can't jump (when I have the youngest child with me). As long as you can get off to do gates and know the country a bit then you can always find your way round - you just have to be prepared to leave the field for a bit and then find them again. Someone on here said to me once, that every field has a gate! I hate the feeling of worrying whether I should jump or not though - so I think it's best to make some rules for yourself before you go so you don't find yourself faffing before a fence e.g. no jumping at all, or you will jump only little rails, or something like that.

domsmith

Visit site
as a novice i am very much a pick and pop hunter. There are loads in our field that dont jump. we look for the gates. But dont expect anyone to wait for you though they will crack on.
never spoils the day for me.
Speak to the hunt sec as above, they usually want people to come so are full of advice.

d

MileAMinute

Visit site
We have a jumper and non jumper route when I go out but the non jumper route always has a few rails you're welcome to have a pop at.
Best bet is to ring the secretary and learn the score.

Mixedbag

Visit site
Have to disagree with pennyturner in that the Tedworth do most definitely jump! However there are some meets (particularly on the Plain) where there may not be any and always someone going around on jumping days so you can take a view and jump or not as you choose.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I enjoyed a nice day with the OBH on Saturday - I was about the only non jumper - In hindsight I wished I had jumped,,, but was on my own and didn't want to cause any fuss if I did fall off.

Probably would have only sworn to myself and spent 5 mins trying to get back on again!!!

Hump991

Visit site
I have never hunted.....had no idea that you could do so without jumping. Now im interested........we do jump, i just think that some of what you go over when hunting might be a bit much for the pair of us.

PorkChop

Visit site
In our country there are lots of people that don't jump - though I would make sure that I went with someone who was prepared to nanny my young horse for the day :)

lurcherlu

Visit site
I like hunting as training for a youngster , providing they are well mannered and happy to stand still . And following a good horse over a few small hedges or banks and over some ditches can really make horse jump better IMO . Saying that I'm one of those people who always know where the gates are out hunting ����

Visit site
As others have said, depends on the pack and the country you are crossing. Pick a meet without much jumping, speak to the secretary or maybe go out with the bloodhounds on one of their optional jumping days for a youngsters first time. :)

Clarebear*

Visit site
Aw brill!! Thankyou for all the replys guys :) im going to be brave and take the 5 year old out . Any tips for me other than sit tight ? Haha

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
There are plenty that don't jump with the 4 shires, we have a non jumping field master and you don't have to jump anything if you don't want to.

As Kat has said, we (the Four Shires Bloodhounds) have a second field, meaning those who don't want to jump don't have to :)