Hurdle race at Aintree.

kerilli

Visit site
Another v nasty fall, i think the horse broke its neck.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Penguinboots

Visit site
I was just watching it...looked like carnage towards the end. According to the BBC all horses and jockeys are fine though.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
oh thats good, one, i think a chestnut, definitley looked as though it had broken neck/back as it was lying there twitching and didnt get up.... might have been ok
confused.gif
but didnt really look it

Daffodil

Visit site
I didn't see it, and no videos are up yet, but looks as if one could have been Denis O'Regan's horse. Hope the BBC is right and all horses are OK. Often seems to be the case. Winning one moment, on the floor or worse the next. I'm dreading tomorrow.

oldbear

Visit site
bbc only said horses were ok after the big race not the hurdle .
Horse did look like broken neck but no mention I think they have avoided mentioning it.

Penguinboots

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
bbc only said horses were ok after the big race not the hurdle .
Horse did look like broken neck but no mention I think they have avoided mentioning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear...I must have got muddled then...
frown.gif

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
well good luck to all horses, jockeys, trainers and owners etc. tommorow... bring on the good luck i say... and for god sake pick up your feet horses and dont take any flyers at these ridiculously big fences!
i have to say that it didnt look good, and yer BBC avoiding it
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

filly0447

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty certain Moscow Catch is dead
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very sad, according to the RP website, this is correct, and the other is injured - doesnt say how seriously though
frown.gif

christine48

Visit site
In the mare's flat race one broke a hind leg high up. It was awful the leg was swinging and the jockey was trying to pull it up. Horrid.

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In the mare's flat race one broke a hind leg high up. It was awful the leg was swinging and the jockey was trying to pull it up. Horrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it televised then? I thought coverage ended after the hurdle race
confused.gif

Joanne84

New User
Visit site
moscows catch died. saw it happen infront of me at aintree. was the worst thing iev ever seen. didnt realise it happened so often and im disgusted im never watching or betting on horse racing again
frown.gif

Over2You

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
moscows catch died. saw it happen infront of me at aintree. was the worst thing iev ever seen. didnt realise it happened so often and im disgusted im never watching or betting on horse racing again
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad that someone here has the sense not to support this horrific "sport" again. Most folks can not take their rose tinted glasses off, even when these magnificent creatures suffer violent and excruciating deaths. Even the "humane" destruction of them on course is gruesome. Download the following PDF and on page 5, you will see photos of a botched attempt by a vet to shoot Ashby Jo.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/DeathWatch2.pdf

bailey14

Visit site
look on deathwatch.com tomorrow and it will tell you. Theres four died in the last few days at Aintree and Hear the Echo died today at the National. He was carrying 11st 2 and there were doubts in the racing press about his ability to 'lug such a load' around the National. Incidentally his stable mate was pulled out on friday as there were doubts about his fitness, not suggesting that this could have been why Hear the Echo collapsed and died but it makes you wonder if it could have been some kind of virus or something. Hear the Echo basically ran his heart out. He was in the lead five fences from home.

cefyl

Visit site
Butler's Cabin also collapsed after the race and had to be revived with oxygen, not the first time in this horse's racing career. Also Comply or Die and one or two others needed oxygen to keep them up. Sadly not a great week for NH's image.

zero

Visit site
Hear the echo's stable mate was War of Attrition who has suffered from leg trouble in the past and has never really come back to his best so maybe his connections felt that four miles was to much. It is incrediablly sad when any horse gets killed doing anything but I feel you only need to look at a horse like Herecomesthetruth yesterday to see how much horses love it. In my opinion they are bred to do a job and they have a lot better lives than some horses. If people want to try and do good why dont they take on people who mistreat animals and children.

kerilli

Visit site
applecart, I am positive that the trainer would have blood tested Hear The Echo to check for a virus before running him. What happened is just one of those awful things.
Horse racing is very hard on horses, we all know that. Flat racing is just as hard on them, a huge percentage break down, some on the track in full view. But... they are treated like kings as racehorses, it is not a bad life. they are not being forced to do something they dislike (unlike many riding horses imho.) More needs to be done about the fate of ex-racehorses, but I don't think there is much that can be done to make racing safer... apart from banning it completely.

bailey14

Visit site
They may be bred to do a job but they do not really have any choice in the matter. I've heard people say 'if they didn't like it they wouldn't run' but these are comments from non horsey people. Horses are flight animals. If the rest of the herd run so do they or they get killed. You can't get 'instinct' out of a horse. They are basically running for their lives not because they enjoy it particularly but because if they get seperated from the rest of the herd they are vulnerable. It is not right for horses to need to be given oxygen after a race - this suggests that the race is too gruelling and the stess too much and something needs to be done so that our lovely TB's don't die needless and agonising deaths in the name of 'sport'. People may have had a flutter today and won money but I really would not be proud of myself making money on the backs of the misery of horses. And I seriously think you ought to look at deathwatch.com and see Ashby Jo put down and you would realise what myself and others on this site are saying.

sybil

Visit site
tbh racehorses are treated better than most- they get a lovely long holiday at the end of the season whereas most horses just do a bit her and a bit there and don't get that 3 months off.

Things like this happen all the time; whether it be racing, polo, eventing, endurance or even just hacking. Horses break down and collapse and die all the time. I don't think its a particularly nice thing to happen, but it does happen all the time. They all love their job and as much as we would like it never to happen again, its just a very sad fact that it happens alot- and not just to racehorses.

kerilli

Visit site
applecart, some horses refuse to race. some horses refuse to hack out (even with their mates), or to go xc. horses are very eloquent if they do not want to do something.
do you think an eventer going xc is "running on instinct"? it is training, but the horse must be happy to do it. If s/he isn't, you won't get out of the start box.
racehorses are not "running for their lives"... if they were they would do what they do when loose in the field and startled... they'd run for about 100 yards and then, if nothing is right behind them, stop and look round and check whether they were being chased. it isn't instinct. most horses love to have a gallop, even alone.
i won't look at the pics on that site because i'm sure they are awful and upsetting. terrible things happen. i have heard of botched euthanasia before.
i absolutely agree that the horses should not need oxygen and i think the jockeys in question should be severely punished. any reasonably experienced horse person can feel when a horse is really tiring and should ride accordingly - i.e. ease right off, or pull up immediately. to continue to push a tired horse is disgusting and counts as abuse imo.

Rollin

Visit site
Yes i see your point of view but if we didn't race horses your "lovely TB's" would not exist. We would all still be riding Mongolian ponies - who also don't have any choice in the matter - nor cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc.

We only have such diversity in horse breeding because 'man' has taken over.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
did you watch the GN today applecart, did you see how many loose horses kept jumping, their ears pricked forwards, you could see they enjoy it, they wouldnt jump those huge fences if they didnt enjoy it.... if a horse doesnt want to race it will come last in most races and therefore will be retired from racing... racehorses are treated like kings, they have better lives than ALOT of horses.....they enjoy it, if they didnt they wouldnt run, and trust me i know this, my grandfather was a jockey in the grand national so please dont tell me that i dont know anything....:D

percypig

New User
Visit site
In reply to applecart14 ..
I am a horsey person and i disagree with your statement, 'They may be bred to do a job but they do not really have any choice in the matter'. They do infact have a choice in the matter. You cannot force a horse to do something it does not want to do. Today Doctor David refused to race, the jockey wanted the horse to go, the starters wanted the horse to go but in the end the horse had the final say and planted itself. These actions don't seem to show a horse being forced to run.

zero

Visit site
Can I just use Deeno's Beano as an example. He refused to start on several occasions and there was nothing A P Mccoy (not some inexperienced amatuer) could do about it. OK not every horse is quite as bloody minded as DB but hes a very good example of if he didnt want to play ball no one was going to make him. (i will add that he didnt refuse to race everytime just on odd days when he obviuosly wasnt in the mood.) Ive watched foals in the field gallop round for no reason other than they enjoy it (nothing else was running). I dont back horses but have worked in racing and know that racehorses have pretty good lives and NH horses more so than flat horses and as Kerilli says there are a lot more riding horses that are worse treated and expected to do things that they are much less keen to do than racehorses.