Huskies - What do you think?

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Hello

We are thinking of getting a dog and really like the idea of a husky. However, we've never had a husky before and wondered what others experiences of them are:

Would 2 be better than 1?
Are they as difficult to train as I've read?
Any other general pros and cons?

Thanks guys

Tia

Visit site
I'd never have 2 puppies at the same time of any breed and definitely never 2 husky puppies at the same time.
crazy.gif

Yes they are difficult to train. They need to be on leads all of the time. Their recall is not good. They have a huge chase/run instinct. They need to live in a fenced garden and not let out free. They are very vocal and quite strongwilled. They often jump up, they seem to not quite "get" what you are saying and although I have no doubt they are intelligent dogs, their intelligence does not seem to run on the same plain as other dogs. You need to keep them stimulated otherwise you will have all sorts of bothers with them; digging holes, howling and barking, running away or just getting themselves into trouble.

Beautiful dogs but certainly not a breed I could be bothered with. Good luck if you do choose to have one.
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
My friend has 8 of them, they show/race them.

I wouldnt have one, they are noisy and cant be let off lead usually.They also seem quite highly strung.

Hers live outside, I wouldnt fancy them in the house!

Personally for a pet dog, I would want something that is good off lead. I know thre will be exceptions and someone will come on saying my husky is good off lead, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule, whenever any of my friends have got free, they have disappeared into the sunset!Not fun searching for huskies in the woods at night.

severnmiles

Visit site
Maggie says in truth they are working dogs and not pets, she knows the breed and I don't so don't quote me on that!

I guess its like someone having a foxhound at the end of the day it will always want to hunt, she says past 5 months and you can't let them off of the lead - she has a sled dog team and is a fully qualified behaviouralist.

Good luck whatever you decide
smile.gif

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses - you'll be pleased to know that I'm not surprised by anything I'm hearing.

Yes, we've had dogs before but generally of the more 'regular' variety - springer spaniel, lab/German Shepherd X. Although when my husband was a lot younger and lived back in the States he actually had a x-bred husky/timber wolf. At that time he spent a lot of time outdoors and hiked a lot and so the dog got lots of exercise. Unfortunately she had a genetic disorder and she died quite young. The wolf in her actually made her quite timid and so a lot of the husky, boisterous nature isn't there apparently.

I think you've all convinced me that it wouldn't be a wise move - I'm working on my speech to the stubborn husband and daughter right now!
smirk.gif
(together with a list of suggested alternatives - like a hamster
shocked.gif
)

danhappy

Visit site
You only have to see the amount of huskies in rescue to see they are not an easy breed. This is off the siberian husky club site, could show this to your husband and daughter...

Not a one-man dog- any human will do- this may be seen as a lack of loyalty.
He will not guard your home or property.
Strong desire to run. If he gets free he will run so far he will be lost, if not hit by a car or train, or shot by a farmer.
Cannot be relied on to return to you on command. He will decide whether or not to return for himself, knowing that you cannot catch him.
Too independent and strong willed generally to be a candidate for obedience training/work.
Keen and efficient hunter and killer. Cannot be trusted with non-canine pets or livestock of any sort. On occasion been known to accept into the pack a cat that he is brought up with, but all others will be regarded as fair game. Please note - huskies have been known to kill cats, that they have lived happily with for many years, for no obvious reason.
Like any dog- must be exercised to keep him fit and contented, but this must be done ON lead.
Can be very destructive, especially when young and/or if left alone for a long time.
Needs company, either human or canine, and is miserable without it.
Needs a safely enclosed exercise area. Your garden must be fully fenced and secure. Six foot high fencing USUALLY enough. Check neighbours will not object to high fences. Take care he cannot dig his way out beneath it, and do not leave dustbins etc near the fence or he may use them to get over the top. Keep the garden gate locked, otherwise there is a risk that visitors, window cleaners etc may leave them open.
Your garden is unlikely to remain neat and tidy with a Sibe, rampaging happily within.
He needs correct feeding- breeders will be able to tell you which foods suit Sibes and which can cause problems.
Moults twice a year. The quantity of fur shed can surprise you, especially in spring when the winter coat is replaced by a shorter, thinner summer coat.
You need an understanding and experienced veterinary surgeon. Sibes are sensitive to some drugs, particularly anaesthetics, sedatives and tranquillisers. This is due to their relatively low metabolic rate and lack of body fat. Also the bulk of their fur can lead vets to overestimate their weight and so overdose them. Sibes should always be weighed accurately beforehand to avoid this.

http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/abouthuskies/disadvantages

pocomoto

Visit site
No No No

Echo above plus more! They are a very tough very intelligent working breed and unless you intend to take up racing they are difficult to tire out and so will go looking for things to kill and or destroy.

A friend has them for racing and hers will pluck an unwitting bird out of mid flight. Some can be EXTREMLY Gobby for no apparent reason and although they do not bark when they get into Howlies the sound can carry for miles and is very noticeable so regular visits from the council noise abatement can be a common side effect.

They are VERY intelligent some more so than their owners! and are always challenging, most choose not to know their names and you will need not to be loving owner but a firm pack leader! Even Caesar Milan the dog whisperer says they have a different psychology to domestic dogs.

I feel it's not fair to keep this breed as a single dog or even with another breed, they crave their own kind and then you have a pack situation, god help anything remotely cute and fluffy if they get out!!!

As above there are far too many being sold on and re-homed, it’s really sad to see it, I am sure some breeders will not warn potential buyers of the pitfalls.

If you like the look of the spitz type of breeds then there are more suitable breeds in that group, although all spits dogs even the small ones tend to be wilful and most noisy, probably because they are tough dogs from a tough environment at least originally. Even the little Sheba Inu’s are tough little Bu~~ers, I usually describe them as Jack Russels with attitude!

Malamutes are a bit better than Huskies in that they are more obedient and less likely to leg it off lead but they are a large breed 23" - 28" and can be problematic with dominance issues and can be funny with other dogs, they might not necessarily start it by my god they will finish it!

Basically all these lovely looking spitz breeds are most definitely NOT for the novice or those without a lot of determination and time on their hands. You can probably add the Austrailian working breeds to this category since they too descend from wild canids (Dingoes) and are tough little Beggers with brains and a survival instinct. The Kelpies can be really sharp and the Heelers will take immediate advantage if an owner shows weakness, they are tough workers that need loads of exercise and a knowledgeable human pack leader.

Basically do your homework on unusual breeds, if that is what you are going to choose, go to breed rather than breeder websites and ask independent owners for feedback and look carefully at health problems within the breed so you don’t get taken for a ride. (If you want a long lived dog don’t take a chance with a Shar Pei)

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Huskies are lovely, but theyre a difficult breed for sure.

Theyre tough to train and as a rule, they cant be off the lead. As Tia mentioned, they have a very strong urge to 1) run and 2) hunt / chase. They run completly blind too so dont expect them to have road sense or anything like that. Mine has got loose twice and fortunatly ive managed to get her back both times. First time involved me running away from her and eventually throwing myself on the floor to convince her i was injured. Second time we spent about 4 hours in the woods trying to catch her.

In addition to that, they dig and they climb. You need, really, a proper dog pen for them outside. Fencing should be sunk at least 2 feet underground and really, you're looking at 6 foot tall. Ive witnessed mine climb up a 5 foot stone wall (yes, climb - not jump) and their determination if they want to get over is incredible.

Generally - again stereotyping - you shouldnt trust them with small animals. As mentionedbefore their hunting instinct is quite strong and the number of reports you read about huskies killing cats that they were brought up with is staggering. Mine lives with a house rabbit, although they are never ever unsupervised together and the rabbit is caged in his area most of the time. While she likes cats and is friendly with them, i wouldnt trust her left in the same room as one. Shes very very very quick... shes caught mice in the past and indeed, caught a fish while swimming in the sea here.

Theyre very loud as someone else mentioned. Huskies "talk" and ive yet to come across one that doesnt. Its a woo-wooing sort of noise and theyre very vocal with it. Some are howlers although mine only does this occasionally and when in heat. Certainly if you have more than one then tend to feed off each other and sing in chorus.

You have to exercise them; a lot. They can be very very destructive if left at home to get bored. Mine tore wallpaper off when she was young, along with digging up a fully fitted carpet. Theyre dogs that really need company and ours is rarely alone. Ours goes jogging everyday for about 2km. Shes also at the beach twice a day for 30 minutes a time to swim. Even then, shes usually bounding around like a lunatic at night.

Training - mmmm theyre not easy and certaining arent the quick, obedient learners like the labs, collies, etc. Mine will sit... sometimes. She'd never come back to call; ever.

Hmmm not sure what else to say. Theyre lovely dogs but quite independent; many sites will say theyre more like cats than dogs and i can see where theyre coming from. Mine is quite clingy for a husky and very much our dog.

I love ours and we're getting another once we're settled down.... although we're quite specifically looking for somewhere with an area suitable to put down a proper dog run so they can be out and play more (although id never dream of leaving her out at night, shes my baby and likes to be in bed with me!)

prose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mines very smart; she understands exactly what shes being told - she just doesnt give a f*ck

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to know a dog like that, too
smirk.gif

Think I've only ever seen one Husky at the park, and the owner's cautious body language probably sums up everything you Husky experts have said.

24xe5wh.jpg

severnmiles

Visit site
Prose, thats a very American looking Husky in type, they seem to prefer them stocky, almost like mini Mals. My friend said they make the worst racing dogs, its the slimmer, whippety types that make the best running dogs.

Pretty all the same
smile.gif

pocomoto

Visit site
Yep thats a show type alright, probably occasionally comes back off lead too, but you wouldn't expect to see a racing strain dog in a local park, you'd have had a job to take a picture of it dragging the owner or legging it!

As is the norm with a working breed, there are two very distinct types evolving, the ones the judges like and those that can still do the job, although there are exceptions. The workers like any working breed have a proper mission in life!

The real chunky big coated show types wouldn't hack it on a modern race trail, especially in the States where a sprint is 30 miles! They would be too slow and lack stamina as Sibes are the sports jobs of sledding, in fact a lot of the dogs used in serious racing in Alaska are outcrosses, since it's the winning that counts and not the purity or preservation of a breed.

The American Zero strain dogs in the UK tend to have a much shorter coat and are much smaller and quite wiry, these dogs along with sepela descendants are manic about work and will run until they drop. This true working strain of sibe are most definately NOT for the family pet trade, hence the numbers in rescue they are not a flexible dog because they have been bred to run fast tied securely to something, there is no heel boy in their makeup.

At least with collies there is flyball and agility and take em out riding, throw a ball for a sibe and it will look at you thinking "If you wanted that why on earth did you throw it away? Bloo*dy humans!"

severnmiles

Visit site
Thats it, Mag says past about 4 months you've had it regarding recall but these showy types are better off of the lead apparently. She said they're trying to educate the judges in not picking the stockier types as they are no good for racing but the judges think they are strong so would make good sled dogs.

pocomoto

Visit site
Oh gosh where would we be without those helpful judges! But seriously sibes have never been a heavy dog, they should be a greyhound in a woollen jumper! I have seen some in the show ring that are difficult to tell apart from the lighter malamutes.

I know it will never happen but I always thought that working beeds should do a bit more than trot round in the show ring.

Sibes pull at a gallop and the biger sled breeds at a trot so they should be very different, bit like comparing a suffolk punch to a TB, although all are fluffy and cute to look at on the outside! The iditarod race commemorates the rush to get vaccine from Anchorage Alaska to Nome in 1925 and only sibes could have done the 1150 miles in the time they did at the gallop, (only 28 days to start time Iditarod 2008 and an English musher I know is competing) . I cant see some of the show dogs doing that!

Don't get me wrong I love their looks and their attitude is just like a teenage Hoodie's, they have a stomach like a dustbin, with carpet underlay and vet bed as a choice menu, and an inelligence to rival most children but they are not for me. I would rather observe and laugh!

pocomoto

Visit site
Oh and on the subject of what humans can do to dogs have a look at this
http://www.toyhusky.com/

OMG WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO A WORKING BREED ????

You can just see the little old lady with a bit of a Stubbon streak wanting one of these cute cuddlys, then getting everyone in the park to help her catch it!!

prose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and on the subject of what humans can do to dogs have a look at this
http://www.toyhusky.com/

OMG WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO A WORKING BREED ????

You can just see the little old lady with a bit of a Stubbon streak wanting one of these cute cuddlys, then getting everyone in the park to help her catch it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these goes to Stella's daycare. I've also come across a number of mini Australian Shepherds. To be frank, that place sounds like a puppy mill. Four litters available in one month?!

pocomoto

Visit site
Poor little things and all for money!

Do you have puppy farm laws over there? Here the kennel club limit the number of registered litters per bitch and have an age limit beyond which the cannot be bred from. But of course if it's not a recognised breed or the puppies aren't registered there is nothing anyone can do.

There are really a lot of nice smaller companion suitable breeds that are well established around without putting husky or shepherd into the mix, though am I right in thinking that Aussie Shepherds are a US invention and have never seen Australia? My god they are big Bugg*rs too so it must have taken some doing to breed those down. Then you must think what about all the odd looking puppies, because there would have been some along the way, what happened to them!

Who knows what problems these will have, especially if they are inbred to keep the type. There are enough dog breeds in the world and there are loads of pure breds and crosses looking for homes without this!

pocomoto

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hello

We are thinking of getting a dog and really like the idea of a husky.
Thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry MissTipps hijacked the thread a bit, have we all put you off yet?

This is quite a useful site to have a play around with

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

You answer questions and it gives you suitable breeds according to lifestyle etc it might help you to sway the non believers away from Huskies!!!

Tia

Visit site
Yes you are correct in saying that Australian Shepherds actually come from the States and not Australia.

Those mini-huskies are VERY bizarre! Is it just me or are their eyes abnormally big??
crazy.gif

pocomoto

Visit site
Yes those eyes are weird, they have a domed head as well, I don't know about you but I suspect chiuaua to bring the size down?

prose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have puppy farm laws over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty woeful. There are laws to prevent the sale of dogs younger than seven weeks, but none, as far as I know, to limit the number of litters a bitch has. There are a number of other registeries--CKC (not the same as Canadian Kennel Club), APR--that give puppy mill dogs an air of credibility and confuse the uninformed.

I get so furious every time I walk by one of the Manhattan pet stores that sells puppies (all of which come from mills and cost $1000+).

suzysparkle

Visit site
I have 5 Siberian huskies and the number is growing. Mine are all working dogs, mainly alaskan anadyr bloodlines and one seppala. They don't make good pets at all. Mine live outside in a big run with an 8 foot fence which overhangs. Ok, they do come in the house as well, they will sit on your knee and they are lovely with good temperaments, BUT...you can't let them off the lead, ever. They would just run away and kill sheep, neighbours cat, rabbits etc. They are very very intelligent but not in an obedience way. Yes mine all know sit/paw etc but do it when THEY want to!!

We run ours in harness at least 4 times a week and that's an average of 6 miles each time. Sometimes we do less, sometimes more, depending on the temperature. We also have a collie, need one that will chase a ball!!

Two of ours we got as pups within 3 months of each other and no issues there. If you want a pet though, look elsewhere! I wouldn't have anything else but they are a way of life, not a pet.

Blizzard

Visit site
Im looking after my friends 8, plus her friends 4, for 5 days from midweek, if anyone still thinks they are a good pet breed them come and help lol!
grin.gif
smirk.gif