Hydrotherapy... Fergie style ;)

Dry Rot

Visit site
What wonderful photos! He is extremely handsome :D

The other pic of DryRot’s is lovely too - I can’t see what anyone at all would be apoplectic about a 3y old and 4yr old being taken for a potter to a beach and into the water though:confused3: how odd:confused3: I would have thought that was just a good basic education. It’s a far cry from being backed as a 2 year old, lunged, repetitively schooled, jumped, or being in hard work - presuming they weren’t ridden hard for an hour each way to get there and battered along roads that is ;)

JFTD will your pony actually swim ? :cool:

I opened up FB this morning and the first two posts I read were slagging off some poor girl for riding and jumping a 3yo Highland pony. The jump looked to be all of six inches! That's the sort of thing that makes me a feel a bit nervous because I do believe in encouraging youngsters to try things out for themselves if they want to. They are encouraged to explore a trailer and self-jump to get to hard feed, etc. from an early age. Can't really understand the "Leave them in the field until they are five" mentality. No, no hard work here! 20 minutes would be considered a long session. Learning should be fun.

CarolineJ

Visit site
You both look like you're having a huge amount of fun :D

Fides - I know Dunnet beach :) I live just over the border in north Sutherland, but have direct access from my fields onto the beach at Armadale. My nearest big beach would be Torrisdale though.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I opened up FB this morning and the first two posts I read were slagging off some poor girl for riding and jumping a 3yo Highland pony. The jump looked to be all of six inches! That's the sort of thing that makes me a feel a bit nervous because I do believe in encouraging youngsters to try things out for themselves if they want to. They are encouraged to explore a trailer and self-jump to get to hard feed, etc. from an early age. Can't really understand the "Leave them in the field until they are five" mentality. No, no hard work here! 20 minutes would be considered a long session. Learning should be fun.

Exactly. There has to be a happy medium between abandoning them til they're 10 in a field, and working them into the ground at 2.

You both look like you're having a huge amount of fun :D

Fides - I know Dunnet beach :) I live just over the border in north Sutherland, but have direct access from my fields onto the beach at Armadale. My nearest big beach would be Torrisdale though.

We were! I am insanely jealous of your direct access onto beach though :mad3:

olop

Visit site
Fab pics Hun - which beach is that, I recognise it but didn't know you could ride on it :) (if it's the one I'm thinking of lol!)

Cabaret

Visit site
These are wonderful pics!

I've ridden on a beach once and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, any beach around here is likely too polluted or too rocky for riding.

Tobiano

Visit site
ooh lovely pictures. Does Fergie really need hydrotherapy? Hope not :) but you both seemed to be having a blast. I have never had the bottle to canter in the sea or even on the beach in case of disappearing into the distance… but love paddling :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Fab pics Hun - which beach is that, I recognise it but didn't know you could ride on it :) (if it's the one I'm thinking of lol!)

It's Frinton, and apparently you can, after 6 in summer :)

These are wonderful pics!

I've ridden on a beach once and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, any beach around here is likely too polluted or too rocky for riding.

Thanks. Aw that's a shame, stupid rocks :/

ooh lovely pictures. Does Fergie really need hydrotherapy? Hope not :) but you both seemed to be having a blast. I have never had the bottle to canter in the sea or even on the beach in case of disappearing into the distance… but love paddling :)

Hehe well I'd hope if he did I wouldn't be hooning round a beach or doing stressage!

F has many flaws, but his brakes are pretty good so we don't need to worry about that (obviously or we wouldn't be cantering round without a bridle!). Wouldn't like to be out of control and getting tied up in fishermen's lines and such :eek3:

quirky

Visit site
Lovely picture but do take care cantering in the water.
If the horse hits something hard that can't be seen, it can result in a horrid injury......broken leg for the horse and broken pelvis for the rider in my case (and the ambulance drove over her hair - the only amusing part of the whole sorry story).
Most awful day on the beach for her (and me), we've only been back a handful of times since.

Dry Rot

Visit site
If the horse hits something hard that can't be seen, it can result in a horrid injury......broken leg for the horse and broken pelvis for the rider in my case (and the ambulance drove over her hair - the only amusing part of the whole sorry story).
Most awful day on the beach for her (and me), we've only been back a handful of times since.

That's shocking! I'd advise anyone thinking of riding on a beach, especially if going into the sea, to access a set of tide tables and inspect the beach at low tide when all will be revealed.

If you're feeling adventurous on Tain beach, you can head east to end up on Tain Bombing Range (now named Tain Weapons Training Area to comply with political correctness) which should be interesting during the week! No flying on the w/e though. Did I mention that already?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Brilliant pics. I so want to play.
Me and Springles are off to the beach in norfolk for a few days after the regionals.
I'm not sure it will go as well. Might have another pic for your collection.

JFTDWS

Visit site

We walked out the same way we came back so would've seen anything, but that sounds absolutely awful - poor you! And poor pony :(

That's shocking! I'd advise anyone thinking of riding on a beach, especially if going into the sea, to access a set of tide tables and inspect the beach at low tide when all will be revealed.

If you're feeling adventurous on Tain beach, you can head east to end up on Tain Bombing Range (now named Tain Weapons Training Area to comply with political correctness) which should be interesting during the week! No flying on the w/e though. Did I mention that already?

Hehe. I've played on a beach with J next to one of the big military bases down here - the many signs warning of imminent death to trespassers were a little off putting!

Brilliant pics. I so want to play.
Me and Springles are off to the beach in norfolk for a few days after the regionals.
I'm not sure it will go as well. Might have another pic for your collection.

Hehe, good luck with that - I look forward to seeing photos, whatever they may hold ;)