Hyundai Santa Fe (4x4)

Moore1314

New User
Visit site
Can anyone advise if the Hyundai Santa Fe (4x4 - 7 Seater) is any good for towing a horse box?

I am open to any other suggestions of family cars / suitable for towing a horse box. Ideally something reasonable on fuel as well. (Not easy to find I know).

I did look at the Vauxhall insignia country tourer 4x4 if anyone has any experience of these?

Any responses welcome 😄

npage123

Visit site
I've possibly used to have a different model Santa Fe to yours, but was told it didn't have the towing capacity for the size/weight of my horse and the trailer which I was planning on buying.

I'd strongly advice you to ask Rog - he's very kindly started a thread where you can ask all sorts of questions regarding towing capacity and he'd give you the towing legal answer.

Look under Competing and Training for THE HHO TOWING CLINIC (I think it's a 'sticky post' so you should find it at right at the top of the thread).

vhf

Visit site
We towed with an older Sante Fe for several years; IW505 and 1 average sized horse, which was all it was suitable for, but it didn't struggle and still did reasonable MPG.
Replaced it with another Sante Fe that has the goods to tow two average horses, but due to 101 issues with variously car, horse, trailer and me, not actually towed anything live with it yet!

Julie Black

New User
Visit site
We towed with an older Sante Fe for several years; IW505 and 1 average sized horse, which was all it was suitable for, but it didn't struggle and still did reasonable MPG.
Replaced it with another Sante Fe that has the goods to tow two average horses, but due to 101 issues with variously car, horse, trailer and me, not actually towed anything live with it yet!
Hi vhf, just wondering if you have now managed to tow with the bigger-towing Santa Fe yet? I'm swithering between the 5-seater Auto (tows 2000kg) and the 7-seater manual (tows 2500)? Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

Julie

dottylottie

Visit site
i looked at one when i was looking for a towing car but didn’t try one, tried a hyundai ix35 but just didn’t like it and ended up buying a ford kuga which i LOVE. i’ve not towed with the horses yet, but been practicing with an empty 505 and i can’t feel it’s on there at all. would do the job if you’re only taking 1 horse or 2 ponies - 2.1 tonne capacity, so perfect for me and my two.

i looked at it after seeing a couple of people suggest them on here on older threads, and it’s a fab car overall - very enjoyable to drive.

Bluewaves

Visit site
I love my 10 year-old automatic santa fe (tows 2000). I tow a 505 with one horse with no bother, but I'd go for the manual if i was buying again as it pulls more and I think the manual is better on fuel.

Last edited:

riversideeu

Visit site
I have just sold my 09 reg Santa Fe manual 2.2 which I towed an Ifor 506 with for many years with one 650kg horse. It was great to tow with and did about 25mpg towing 35mpg not towing.