Hyundai Santa Fe, auto or manual?

Julie Black

New User
Visit site
Anyone tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm looking at two, both 2017, 2.2Crdi. Both similar mileage. One is auto, 5 seats, with 2t towing capacity. The other is Manual, 7 seats, with 2.5t tow capacity. Identical engines the difference in capacity is due to different rear shocks and manual vs auto apparently. I normally tow 1 horse but good o be able to take 2 shorter distances. It's a light (cheval) trailer (about 850kg) and both horses below 500kg so capacity wise should be fine with either. But just looking for experiences with either version to help me decide! Thanks all.

phizz4

Visit site
Driving an automatic allows you to focus fully on the road and the traffic, it can be a smoother ride for the horses and you are less likely to need to use the brakes in anger. The automatic will also, probably, be heavier than the manual, which is good when towing but will use more fuel.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think (but might not be remembering correctly) that the manual has a higher weight capacity, certainly true when I was looking at a towing vehicle-CRV. Definitely worth checking out.

Julie Black

New User
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far. Yes Manual has a higher capacity, but is same engine and both have sufficient capacity for my needs. I know some people say auto is better for towing in general (I can see why; smoother for horse and easier on things like hill starts etc) but feel and stability of towing are important and just thought it might be good to get peoples thoughts on how they 'feel' to tow who have one or other version. But all else being equal I am inclined towards manual, just thinking having the extra capacity can only help with feel/stability I guess. It's such a minefield buying a tow car, especially as you can't test-drive the towing aspect!

Ta all

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
In the past we towed with both manual and automatic. This was a long time ago and ours were 3500 Rovers, no idea about modern cars or other makes. Michael found that on ice the automatic could be dodgy as he needed to stay in a high gear and the car would change down due to lack of traction, nearly ended up in the ditch one very bad day.

janei

Visit site
I've got an auto and love it for towing, had a Kia Sorrento before and loved that but the santa fe is far better and smoother. Wouldn't want a manual after having autos as my last 2 tow vehicles

94lunagem

Visit site
It looks like I go against the grain, I much prefer towing with a manual because I feel I have better control but having towed with both an automatic is also fine. As @Pedantic says, an automatic is also easier for normal day to day traffic.

holeymoley

Visit site
Manual for me too. Driven husbands car on auto without trailer but think it would up the gears too quickly for towing. I like to be able to 'use' my gears. Probably beneficial to be able to stay in lower gears for more power if you have some hills too instead of the auto lagging when it changes to quickly.

Annagain

Visit site
I tow with an automatic Shogun and you have the option of changing gear manually, just no clutch. Most modern automatics have this function. Best of both worlds.
This. Also, most autos have a sports setting which will hold it in a lower gear for longer. I find this is much better for towing.

lialls

Visit site
We have the auto, usually tow a Nugent trailer with 1 15hh cob, its been great, doesn't miss a beat, tows nicely, drives nicely, comfortable, can't fault it. Whilst it tows my cob fine it would not be beefy enough to put a lot of weight behind it.

Sealine

Visit site
I've no experience of the Sante Fe but I've only ever towed with an auto and I've never had any problems. I've had a Sorento and a Rexton. I'd never go back to a manual.