Hyundai Santa Fe for Towing

nato

Visit site
My Kia Sorento packed in on the motorway last week and the engine is gone :( it's not worth replacing the engine given what the value of the car is so I have decided to buy another one.

I looked at the likes of the Landcruiser, Discovery and Toureg, but I honestly can't afford the running costs involved with these vehicles, and I only have on street parking and might find it a struggle to find space for a bigger jeep.

I tow one horse (16.2 ISH, approx 550kg) and tow with an Ifor Williams 505, so would need something capable of towing 2,000kg plus imo.

I have been looking at the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 4WD around 2008/2009, and was wondering what people thought of these as a towing vehicle? Or if they could recommend any others?

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I towed with one of these but it was an Auto, fuel consumption was high so I sold it for a Kia Sorrento - personally Kia was well worth every penny. Brilliant Tow vehicle and fuel consumption is brilliant for a 4x4

Clare85

Visit site
I drove one for my trailer training and test. It was knackered (although obviously appreciate it had had a hard paper round as a training vehicle). It was noisy, sticky and not particularly pleasant to drive, plus there was a constant burning smell, especially when reversing.

I now have a Kia Sorrento also and I absolutely love it. Tows like a machine - pulled away with my wheel lock on the other day and the car didn't even flinch, my yo had to run after me waving and shouting for me to notice, whoops!

How old was the one you've got that's just packed up?

nato

Visit site
Horse + trailer + bits = max 1700kg ?

B+E licence needed

I have the BE licence :) I was thinking 2,000kg to give myself enough room!

I'm reluctant to replace the engine as Kia themselves have advised against it - it's a 2006 and have been advised by the garage that the engines are known to give problems, so I'm not willing to put another engine into a jeep that can just go again at any point. The car was well minded and had nothing mechanically wrong with it to cause the engine failure - I was just extremely unlucky.

Clare Id imagine you got a bogey as no car should smell funny when reversing!

Cocorules

Visit site
My husband bought a used one a few years ago. Within days of buying it there was black smoke pouring out of the back of it. It did this on and off during the short period he used it. It got towed to the scrap merchants. This was the newest car we have ever owned and would not buy another. Hyundai could not work out the problem with it either.

We probably got one bad one but never again.

paddi22

Visit site
ive driven a friends one and it was grand. I had a kia sorrento and the engine went too. Got it replaced and it went again, they never found a reason why, so you made a wise decision to not repair! I pumped money into mine and ended up selling it for scrap!

nato

Visit site
Thanks paddi! I was also looking at the VW Touareg and the Freelander 2 (know about issues with FL 1) - any reviews on those?

paddi22

Visit site
i got a cheap izuzu trooper and it is super for towing. its a 00 so had to replace timing belt and clutch after a while, as it still had the originals, but its a super machine and was cheap to buy

lamlyn2012

Visit site
If you are looking at a manual have a good test drive first. Had one for a short time but the clutch/gearbox was extremely difficult. Not what you want when towing.

nato

Visit site
Thanks paddi - the problem I have is I live in town and the parking is all on-street, on narrow streets, and hard to come by - so trying to find as small a 4x4 as possible!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I towed with my 5 year old santa fe automatic..just the one horse in the smaller Ifor trailer and it was brilliant - never had a problem pulling out of fields and smooth on the road. Just sold it for huuuggge truck to pull two horses in larger trailer.

nato

Visit site
I towed with my 5 year old santa fe automatic..just the one horse in the smaller Ifor trailer and it was brilliant - never had a problem pulling out of fields and smooth on the road. Just sold it for huuuggge truck to pull two horses in larger trailer.

Thanks! How was it size wise, did you find it OK around town and parking etc?

9tails

Visit site
They're almost identical to the Kia Sorento, I have a Sorento and my friend has a newer Santa Fe. Hers can tow 2000kg on the 2.0 engine whereas mine has 2800kg tow capacity. If we take two, we use mine and if we take one we use hers.

nato

Visit site
They're almost identical to the Kia Sorento, I have a Sorento and my friend has a newer Santa Fe. Hers can tow 2000kg on the 2.0 engine whereas mine has 2800kg tow capacity. If we take two, we use mine and if we take one we use hers.

Thanks good to know! Am afraid to get another sorento after what happened mine and would like to go up a few years, the newer Sorentos dont seem to have the same towing capacity so thinking the Santa Fe!

Are they the same engine as the Sorento?

turnbuckle

Visit site
What's the engine model and what exactly was the problem?

It may be that if one looks around there's a decent fix available......wiling to do some digging for you.

If the rest of the car is OK and does what you want......

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I have a 56 reg Santa Fe, I like it a lot. Mine is a manual and can tow up to 2.2 tonnes, I have towed two small horses with it comfortably though I wouldn't want to take two large ones. I find it smooth to drive, it does cost me a bit in diesel as I drive around a lot but when I bought it it was one of the most economical 4x4s I could find in my budget. It is not the strongest 4x4, eg. not a land rover that can tow 3.5 but these tend to use much more fuel and be much more expensive! It suits me for what I do. A newer model came out a few years ago that tows 2.5 tonne, when mine eventually dies I'd definitely consider getting another.

fusspot

Visit site
We sold our lorry and bought a 4 year old used but in Immaculate condition Hyundai Santa Fe-love it-Manual,Diesel and can tow up to 2.5 tonne.Really good to drive,my mum finds it more comfy than my husbands X3-we managed to get one with all the extras on.Tows brilliantly- and actually a lot more economical than my Jeep Cherokee Diesel,a lot nicer to sit in and quiet.We looked at the Kia but to get one that could tow the weight we needed was a lot more expensive even used.I have it as my everyday car with school runs,school matches,cricket matches and towing and am actually better off each month by about £50 in diesel and is also quite cheap to Insure.Wouldnt swap mine.

ZondaR

Visit site
I have been towing with a Santa Fe for the last 10 years and have never had a problem. I have a 2 litre, manual, diesel. I have a Cheval Liberte double horse box and only one horse. My friend has a 2.2 litre and tows an Ifor Williams and the extra .2 makes a difference. If I had to pull two horses, I would recommend a bigger engine but if you only have one horse the 2.2 litre should be fine. I have not found it expensive to run but I would not tow more than once a week and, as my horse does not like the horse box, I will not go anywhere that is over 45 minutes drive. To sum up,I recommend the Santa Fe for light/moderate towing and general everyday use.