I’m bouncing like a kid at Christmas - finally got out eventing!

kerilli

Visit site
Okay, it was only unaff, but we had to start somewhere. This was Daisy’s first xc comp, first time dressage and first time sj on grass (and only the 2nd course she’s ever jumped). They squeezed in a late entry for us at Gt Witchingham (BIG Thankyou!!!). I opted for the 2’6”-2’9” class, as at this stage the fences need to be small enough to pop from a wibble, as you’ll see. Daisy is my homebred who had a v wonky pelvis/sacro-iliac as a 4-5 yr old, and then decked me disastrously, so we’ve both had a while recuperating. But she feels as if she’s got it a lot of promise, now we’ve got it together. :) :) :)
Dressage - warmed up very nicely, ignoring being on grass (sometimes intoxicating) and warming up with other horses. After our last (indoor) tests where she got behind the leg and a bit doggy and silly, today’s mantra was purely FORWARD and I knew I was totally chucking the test... we did BE95 in about 3 mins so that tells you how forward it was! But she did everything in the right place, sweetly and energetically, boggled at then ignored the boards, boggled at the molehills in canter but kept cantering through them, and didn’t duck behind the vertical at all, so I was very very happy with it. I won’t post the vid of it as it is not exactly our finest most polished effort - it was a schooling exercise with a specific aim, and I don’t want to give more ammunition to the charming person who a friend has told me is sending people links to my youtube vids as proof that I can’t ride! ;) ;) ;)
The judge was not a fan, got some 6s, a couple of 4s for rather disorganised transitions when my half-halts were ignored, and mostly 5s, but that’s okay. Now the mare knows that she needs to stay forward in a test situation we can work on the rest more effectively.
Walked the XC course, a little surprising. Fence 1 was BIG, an almost-parallel of rails with potted trees lined up between the rails and poking over the top by 4”-6”. Fence 2 slightly smaller, then fence 3 was a tiny inviting log, perfect (as a first fence maybe!) Sizes varied from then on, which I don’t mind, but I do think that when you have greenie riders and some greenie horses is it far kinder, if you want people to get round, to give them 1 or 2 easy fences away from their new herd of bestest friends in the warm-up! The rest of the course was lovely and educational - pallisade with decent drop into the woods, step, 2 waters, all sorts. I noticed that 2 of the portables weren’t fixed down and I went and mentioned it, and all possible credit to the Organiser, he fixed them immediately (I checked before running, I would not have run if they had not been.) So, it really is worth speaking up, for the sake of everyone’s safety.
The Sj was nice, and so I was pretty happy to let her canter around and meet them on whatever she was on. She needs bigger fences now that she’s brave about new fillers... she’s a bit sprawly and needs to start jumping off her hocks, but this is the first time she’s cantered to new fillers and not batted an eyelid at them. Vid here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mz3dVcTypw
So, bigger fences from a more together canter next, I know, I know... ;) ;)
XC Time, yay! Realised I'd forgotten my whip, oh well, didn't need it, that's what legs are for. She’s still a real greenie and has her opinionated/suspicious moments, but she now believes me when I say ‘go on, it’s fine’ so we had a really fun time. Vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1QL9N5WqWQ
I think it would be a very harsh fence judge who gave pens for those prop-then-go moments, but we didn’t hang around for results so I have no idea how we did. Should be a clear anyway, no run outs or stops.
(btw, I know my stirrups are far too long but when she does the left-right game she’s very fast at it, so I wanted some leg round just in case! Stirrups up over bigger fences next.)
So happy to have gotten out eventing again and had such a fun first run. Let’s hope this is the first step on a good career for her. Thanks for reading, really good coffee and pain au chocolat, my dream breakfast, if you got this far. :) :) :)

Tangaroo

Visit site
Great report and glad to see you having fun again. She looks very willing and it doesnt look like it will take long before she is flying round BE!

BeckyD

Visit site
Lovely report and I do love her attitude to the SJ and XC - what a poppet! I am sure you'll have lots of fun together.

Can't believe someone is doing what you say re your videos - they need to get a life!!

Horsemad12

Visit site
Well done in getting out and about again.

As others have said you will be doing BE in no time - roll on 2013!

As for the vid thing, everyone has an opinion, you choose to listen to the people you trust and value and no-one else.

Bubblegum

Visit site
Lovely start to her career, and I'm so pleased for you that you are out with her at last. :)

Well done :)...agree that first fence wasn't the best choice! ( saw it on fb ).

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
N'awwww what a sweetie!

Kerrilli if someone wants some YouTube videos of someone who can't ride send them in the direction of my channel - you'll look like Carl Hester compared to me!

dafthoss

Visit site
She looks very sweet fingers crossed your lot have had their share of vets visits and she gets to go play again soon. How are the rest of your girls doing?

How strange about the sharing of youtube vids :confused: it looked like an educational outing with a green horse.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
I think the grin on your face in the videos says it all! :D :D

Daisy looks like a total sweety in the videos and like she is having a lovely time (but glad mum is there to help brave the bogies). Looking forward to lots more Daisy goes eventing stories! :)

siennamum

Visit site
She looks fab, really promising. I'd be made up to have video evidence like that of an early outing on a young horse, pretty much perfect. Brillinat that she doesn't really give the fences a 2nd glance, spooks most at a slightly muddy patch on the XC naturally.

Cupid

Visit site
Looks like a very educational run for Daisy, and it's so nice to see a happy rider! Your face says it all :)

bananas_22

Visit site
Well done on your first major run with Daisy - looks like you both thoroughly enjoyed it which is nice to see :)

Re: the video, in my personal opinion - in the face of pettiness, I'd be damn sure I posted the video so that the person in question couldn't take it as a sign of defeat or embarrassment. I'm sure those with a mature head would take it for what it is :) However, it is your call and nothing whatsoever to do with me! ;)

oldvic

Visit site
She looks charming - a lovely attitude and, while obviously green, a potentially useful jump. How exciting for you. For what it's worth, I don't think you are riding too long for the moment - you obviously need quite a lot of leg at the moment and, until she starts taking you a little more, it would be harder to stay balanced shorter. It's not like you need to be shorter to hold her at the moment!

kerilli

Visit site
Dafthoss, the other girls - gradual improvements, I guess.
Jinni is still not herself, 4 1/2 months on. She's a duller, quieter version, and doesn't really know where her feet are. Physio has just been and reassured me that nerve heals at a rate of 1mm per day, so it really is very early days still. I have more exercises to do with her. Fingers crossed etc. Thermal imaging was very worrying but she has time and youth and lots of t.l.c. on her side...
Ellie - who had the severe ataxia: she's improved a lot. not good enough to ride yet, but doing exercises in hand. left hind still slightly eccentric. back muscles sore and tight but physio has worked on her today.
Katy - feet not fantastic, this year's weather has been disastrous for so many horses' feet, my farrier says. so, she's field sound but i'm not convinced she'd stay sound in work so I'm being patient until her feet improve more - she has seedy toe etc. Very frustrating.
Thanks everyone, v chuffed with Daisy stepping up to the plate!
A few pics from Dr warm-up now I've got them uploaded. Cute, isn't she?
DSC04063.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

wish i wasn't STILL tipping forward though, gosh these old bad habits are SO annoying.

Edited to add: Thankyou, everyone. Much appreciated. :) :) :)

Aces_High

Visit site
I am glad to hear that the little mare is improving - what a long slow process. Did they get to the bottom of it all? I am sorry for not asking earlier - I've been manic! How awful about your other two horses, what a pants year for you. Loving the photos of the 4/5 yr old she is lovely and what a super attitude to her work!! My Daisy (4yr old) went XC Schooling at Poplar last week and was fabulous - the babies are so much fun :)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Your smile throughout says it all K, its so good to see you out and about and doing what you love. Daisy looks fab and I am another one who is slightly envious of your riding:)

Re the vids there certainly are some strange, sad people in this world!

Everything still crossed for your other horses

kerilli

Visit site
Charlie77, no, these are my über-sticky Kerritts, so far guaranteed to keep me in the plate no matter what... they're just pull-ons with elasticated waist. mega-comfy, nice and cool, just love them.
Aces_High, this one isn't 4/5, she's 7 (!!!) but more like a 4/5 yr old in having done naff all. But she can now have a steep learning curve, she's ready mentally and physically, whereas she definitely wasn't before.
As to the other one, getting to the bottom of it... no, not really. Vet told me it was probably a coincidence that she had the heart problem and the sudden onset severe ataxia at the same moment, but I just cannot buy that... previously healthy horse, owned by me for the last 5 years, never shown a sign of either, then both at the same moment?! Erm, no. One caused the other, or something caused both, is the only way I can see it. But, she's improving, to watch her in the field you probably wouldn't think there was anything wrong, which is an enormous improvement from when she was reeling around as if heavily sedated...
thanks everyone, much appreciated. btw, i always have smiled from ear to ear all the way round xc, it's just such FUN! :) :) :)