I always wanted a horse in this colour but didn't think they existed!!

smanf

Visit site
I thought it was just a figment of my imagination, when all along, he was out there. Somewhere!!

picture.php

smanf

Visit site
Unless I am being gullable, perhaps it has been photoshopped, (or even bleached? :eek:)

The title to the picture says it's a wild horse, but it doesn't look to be in particularly wild surroundings. Do you think it's real?

Mrs B

Visit site
Sorry to say this Photoshopped image (in a slightly different colour!) has been posted before: it also comes in bay, white, palomino and dun, I seem to remember and probably polka dots too... ;)

mandwhy

Visit site
I've seen that pic a lot on various 'pretty horse pictures' facebook things, what colour do we call that then? It might even be a super super dark flaxen liver chestnut? Or is it just a coloured where the white happens to fall on the mane and tail? Curious!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
The colour does exist though. Look up rocky mountain horses. The colouring is caused by the silver dapple gene diluting a black base you can also get a similar effect on a bay base. You could also get a similar effect with liver chestnut flaxen depending on the gentics.

Last edited:

smanf

Visit site
I think that's a Photoshop job...but this isn't -
TabethaHaHaJPegTr.jpg

HiPo from Brownbread Stud in Sussex.

WOW :eek: Absolutely stunning!!Is he/she yours? The last twenty five years have been a lie!

I just put silver dapple in google, and yes it did throw up similar looking horses, I think the picture I posted might have had the body darkened down a bit.

smanf

Visit site
The colour does exist though. Look up rocky mountain horses. The colouring is caused by the silver dapple gene diluting a black base you can also get a similar effect on a bay base. You could also get a similar effect with liver chestnut flaxen depending on the gentics.

Looked it up, they look what I would call a liver chestnut with flaxen mane and tail though. The one I wanted had to be BLACK with a flaxen mane and tail lol ;)

Still very pretty though

mandwhy

Visit site
Wow I would fight a duel to have that highland in my field so I could brush its mane and polish it :)

Smanf I reckon you can make this dream come true with a touch of genetic modification/cloning?

smanf

Visit site
I've always loved unusual colours too, hence why I ended up with a bright bay. Errrrrm :rolleyes:

But my fav has always been black, your's look lovely too.

Anyway, looks like that's the end of the thread cos the picture has disappeared (copyright I should imagine) :eek:

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Looked it up, they look what I would call a liver chestnut with flaxen mane and tail though. The one I wanted had to be BLACK with a flaxen mane and tail lol ;)

Still very pretty though

Technically they are black :p just the gene diluting the coat. Liver chesnuts I think tend to have slightly darker manes as the sooty gene that causes the darker chestnut colour also affects the mane.

I used to think they were called hot chocolate horses and in Aus they are known as taffy I think. Can you tell I also like weird colours.

I had no idea the gene occured in highlands is that an outcross??

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Sorry to say this Photoshopped image (in a slightly different colour!) has been posted before: it also comes in bay, white, palomino and dun, I seem to remember and probably polka dots too... ;)

It's not the one that has been posted before that you can change the colour of, but it's very similar.

The colour does exist though. It can be seen in very dark liver chestnut with flaxen mane and tail or even bay with the silver gene. I had a mahogany bay with the silver gene. It wasn't as pronounced as here, but he had a grey mane and tail.

Hawks27

Visit site
I have only seen this colour on the rocky mountain horse there is someone breeding them in the uk if you google am sure you'll find them but there not big enough for me so gutted as such a striking colour and there so cute

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I love looking at unusal colours but always tend to end up with bays!! (except Moses, but then I only really looked at his baby blue eyes) The colours I really like are the brindles. Type in brindal horses on google and see what you get!

HashRouge

Visit site
I've always wanted a horse that colour, ever since I saw one in that film The Brothers Grimm. They did a series of Hermes adverts with the same horse, he's lush :D

creativead_13.jpg

Nitro mouse

Visit site
There was one similar colour that appeared on Dragon Driving just before Xmas, with a price tag of 8k. Stallion I seem to recall and he had a history of throwing the silver gene according to advert. I did drool, it was a stunning looking horsey.

Dogrose

Visit site
The really high contrast black silvers usually only show that colour when they are young, as they get older the black lightens and the mane and tail darken and they get a bit murky all over. The colour can vary from really light silver with dapples in it (in mini horses usually) to quite dark. In the UK they are not common in any breed but you can get a few in Gypsies, Welsh, Iceys and Highland. There is a line of Warmblood on the Continent with it and most Comtois are silver bay though they are always described as chestnut (look at the black legs and face colour). The gene is associated with eye deformities.
ETA - to tell the difference between dark flaxen chestnut you need to look at lower leg hair - chestnuts will have lighter gingery hair, and the manes and tails on a silver are darker at the roots, flaxen isn't.

Enfys

Visit site
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so I am sure that this is just repeating what has already been said, but I'll say it anyway :) A common and highly prized colour in Rocky Mountain horses, we have a stud just down the road from us and they always have them.

I have a silver bay, his coat is just a shade lighter than this but he has the flaxen mane and tail.
February2013087_zps3f494693.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ha, what do I see when I google Rocky mountains, just that same photo ;) :D

Last edited:

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so I am sure that this is just repeating what has already been said, but I'll say it anyway :) A common and highly prized colour in Rocky Mountain horses, we have a stud just down the road from us and they always have them.

I have a silver bay, his coat is just a shade lighter than this but he has the flaxen mane and tail.
February2013087_zps3f494693.jpg

Ha, what do I see when I google Rocky mountains, just that same photo ;) :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they didn't say those were their horses...They said theirs were similar :)

Irishdan

Visit site
We are in the UK and have a silver dapple Rocky Mountain. She doesnt have the bleached mane however but you can see the highlights coming through particularly in the Summer.

Lottie2_zps8353c798.jpg