I am going to try brwt on Friday!

rextherobber

Visit site
2nd hack on dantrolene and he went symptomatic in the same place as last time. Firstly gets champy on the bit, then keeps wanting to stretch down then goes cross and spooky and backward thinking. This is 3/4 of the way round so heading towards home when if he was ‘normal’ he should if anything be keen to get back to his friends.

I’m starting supplements again which I stopped in my disheartened phase. Perhaps they will help. Maybe I should shorten the hack by turning round, but I don’t really like doing that.

It’s all trial and error, and trying to listen to feedback from him. There really aren’t any clear solutions!
My mare was the same, at a certain point, like a switch being turned on. I found if I hopped off and led her for a bit, she wound down, and was ok when I got back on. And I could time it, and get off just before she started feeling whatever it is she feels, which definitely made it more pleasant for us both. She never did anything that made you feel you wanted to get off, but was so tense and not going forward...I think with her ( n/px) it was anxiety, she needed me with her on the ground. As you say, all trial and error.

catembi

Visit site
Thank you for sharing! I’m thinking about experimenting with shorter hacks. If I box to my friend’s which is a mile up the road, there are two short, circular hacks that I could do. It’s a bit of a faff getting the lorry out just to hack though!

I have also ordered some hempine which is legal cannabis and which is supposed to be a real game changer for horse (and human) muscle disorders. We just have to keep trying…

Jacksie

Visit site
Hope you don’t mind me asking Catembi but wondering how things are progressing with this? Are you still pleased with the results and would you recommend?

catembi

Visit site
Unfortunately my main horse is now so symptomatic for PSSM that he cannot go faster than walk. We do 20 minutes in the arena once a week/fortnight in walk. I am mostly riding my other TB. He has PSSM as well but will work for 20 minutes in walk. He doesn't like any kind of weather - wind, rain, cold - and it makes him sharp, and although he's 20, he can be a PITA if he's in a bad mood. Previously when he had a moment, I'd want to go in early, get off, stay up the safe end of the school etc but now I don't take any notice of him and carry on. Beforehand, the first thought would be, 'oh no, what if I fall off', but falling off has stopped being my first thought or even much of a consideration. So now my response to whatever antic he's pulling is, FFS Trev, behave yourself! We deliberately spent nearly the whole 20 minutes at the scarey end of the school not long ago as one of my dressage letters had blown off & was on the ground OUTSIDE the arena & he decided that it was the scariest thing he'd seen in his 20 years. So we stayed up there on a circle until he wound his neck in & stopped being a prat.

It doesn't sound like much, but there has been a huge change in my attitude. Previously, if I'd done something like ride through a sticky moment, I would be pleased at the time, but then next time I would be starting from level again. Now, it builds & gets added to the confidence store, so my confidence is growing rather than being set back to zero every time I get on.

We will see what happens if I can persuade o/h that I NEED a 5th horse!

Jacksie

Visit site
That sounds really positive for you and as though it’s working. Even if it seems to be small steps, you’re still moving forward which will become big steps in time.

If it’s ok with you, would you let me know which therapist you used? I’m having a bit of a wobble atm and am thinking of a few sessions for myself.

I’m also impressed you’re trying to persuade your OH you need a 5th 😂 I need to up my game…

Cloball

Visit site
Might give it a go, my poor pony is very safe apart from a few teething problems last spring is literally bombproof .. think fighter jets overhead, high speed trains. I just dont think it's fair for her to have to carry my anxious catastrophising butt around... It would be much nicer for both of us.

catembi

Visit site
It was Kate Osmaston. I freely admit that the whole thing is a bit odd, but who even cares if it’s the placebo effect or whatever if I have gone from worrying about falling off to being able to weather TB antics without being perturbed.

My fundamental attitude has shifted from ‘I’m going to fall off’ to ‘I’ve got this’.

Ceriann

Visit site
It didn’t work for me - as other say it works for some but not others. It perhaps did initially but not in the long term. Regular riding is the best solution for me so I continue to create good memories and feel more able to manage an issue. Periods of not riding affect my confidence!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Well, I have decided to give it a go & have booked an appointment.
I had 2 sessions with her and I think it really helped me she us very good, I did really need a few more but Christmas happened and then I was ill so I'm planning on having a few more in the near future.

I hope you enjoy it and it works for you, let us know how you get on.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I had 2 sessions with her and I think it really helped me she us very good, I did really need a few more but Christmas happened and then I was ill so I'm planning on having a few more in the near future.

I hope you enjoy it and it works for you, let us know how you get on.
I will definitely let you know. I've been horribly catastrophising things & I really hope it can help.
Thoughts like "Oh don't wear that top, it's a bit dirty and you'll smell in hospital if you fall off."

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I will definitely let you know. I've been horribly catastrophising things & I really hope it can help.
Thoughts like "Oh don't wear that top, it's a bit dirty and you'll smell in hospital if you fall off."
Oh really mine is more like a feeling of anxiety and doom when I ride and its got worse since I had a bad accident about 5 years ago, I don't think the menopause helped either it just heightened everything.