I am really slow at tacking up!!

Visit site
So I have always had a very methodical,slow approach to my tacking up!!😂😂With my own horses this is fine but having worked in a NH racing yard previously riding out a few lots I found it so hard to be tacked up and out on the gallops in time! I knew this was coming and it was one of my worries when I first go to ride out a racehorse!I was fine once I got out on the gallops but boy getting there was a struggle.The lads in racing yards can get tacked up in warp speed!!
I know it must come from years of practise but I seriously need some advice!!I am now in a new yard and am at the moment working on the ground but the opportunity is there to ride out!I would love to get back into it but I don't fancy being shamefully last out to the gallops and making a fool out if myself!!!Any advice please would be fab!!Also I only rode out for 6 months so I am a young(15) newbie to the racing game.

Visit site
The quickest way to tack up is to know exactly which order everything goes on in and chucking. It doesn't matter if you go for bridle or saddle first. Probably easier to do the bridle so you can easily grab them if they start to fidget. Pads - have them ready to go in the right order so you just pick them up off the top and work your way down to the saddle. Know what hole your bridle and girth goes on for each horse - it gets easier the more often you ride the same ones. It's also easier when you know your bridle and what hole it goes on for what type of heads. It's easier to fiddle with it before you put it on the horse rather than once on.

I practically fling my tack on my horses these days. It takes 2 seconds when you get the hang of it and you can do it without thinking.

Don't worry you are expected to be slow to start with but so long as you make an effort to quicken up you'll be fine!

And coming into winter - a small towel with your tack is always a handy spare - it dries your girth straps enough to stop you punching yourself in the face when you do them up 😂😂😂

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. The way of putting on the pads sounds like a good idea!😊Now I just have to pluck up the courage to ride out!!I have had a bit of a break from it for a while!😊☺️

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just a suggestion here, but you say you are "working on the ground" at the moment (whilst wishing you could ride out!!!), so I'd be inclined to try and be "around" at the time everyone is tacking up to ride out, and see how the "professionals" do it, as it were....... or even better, ask someone to show you how THEY actually do it!