I am so Bl..dy stupid...loading!

oldie48

Visit site
I've just bought a new lorry3.5 tonne, rear facing but coach built rather than a conversion. Went to load horse this morning for the first time and stoooopidly left the anti weave grills in. Horse went straight in, panicked at the grills and came straight out. Now can't get him anywhere near the ramp let alone on it. Big horse and on my own so despite spending an hour he's still not gone on. He had a genuine fright but it's morphing into "agh, I actually don't have to go in if I don't want to" I am furious with myself for not taking the anti weave grills out but the damage is done. This is a very well mannered horse that is normally very compliant on the ground. Please don't beat me up for taking him for granted, I can do that myself but suggestions welcomed. I'm pretty confident that if I can get him on once, he'll be fine, he's just very worried and it is very clean and bright. (hideous colour too but that's another story!)

Michen

Visit site
I don't get why anti weave grills would cause such a panic, is it definitely that?

Has he loaded into rear facing before, may be that he didn't quite understand the turning?

oldie48

Visit site
I had a rear facing conversion and he's used to travelling like this so loading him wasn't a problem. The anti weave grills panicked him because he's used to an open front. I should have taken them out and got him used to the new lorry in stages but because he's such an easy horse I thought he'd be OK. If I'd loaded him then put the anti weave bars in once he'd settled, he'd have been fine, my fault for rushing him!
I don't get why anti weave grills would cause such a panic, is it definitely that?

Has he loaded into rear facing before, may be that he didn't quite understand the turning?

Luci07

Visit site
I used an ezi loader when my big lad decided he didn't see the point of loading. Took him only a couple of attempts to realise he couldn't pull back and then we loaded with no problems. Needed to remind him every now and then but it was well worth the money. I do stress though, mine wasn't worried about loading, he just didn't see why he had to do (think horse with a relaxed back leg and floppy ears - just not moving!)

oldie48

Visit site
He's genuinely worried, a big sensitive softie. I've had "naughty" horses that loaded when they felt like it and weren't in the slightest bit bothered once they were in and sorted them very quickly with a Richard Maxwell controller halter. He's different and I'm concerned that I could go from a worried horse to a panicking horse.

SEL

Visit site
I loaded my 'can't see in the dark' mare into a very dark large lorry back in November and it spooked her. She snapped the headcollar in panic and practically fell off the ramp. She'd been on that lorry about 12 months before so I thought she'd be fine - but that time was with another horse and this time was on her own.

After kicking myself A LOT I then got out a bucket of feed and went for bribery. Luckily she's greedy so I bribed her back up the ramp and let her eat with me there while the ramp was shut. Would food work? Another horse on first to prove there aren't any gremlins?

eggs

Visit site
Normally I would say just get him on - I find a lunge line tied in a big loop which goes around their quarters which you can then loop through the headcollar is a good way of getting a reluctant loader on board but if your boy has frightened himself this probably wouldn't be the approach to take.

Can you push the partition back against the far wall so making a more inviting space? You can then try tempting him on with a bucket of feed.

Luci07

Visit site
Mine was a big softie too! He did have an unpleasant experience as had to load up onto a lorry when he had eye problems and then stand on a lorry to Newmarket (some 100+ miles away) so I did give him the benefit of the doubt. I quickly worked out that he wasn't that worried so got the ezi loader out - should think the RM will be similar. We also put another horse on first although it would have been preferable for him to be at the back as he was 17.1 and his friend was 16.2

be positive

Visit site
I would leave it for a day or two then set yourself up for success rather than keep trying and possibly failing today, don't think of it as failing or giving up just a different day to win, then make sure you are well prepared, have him well exercised so he is relaxed, ideally hungry and make your first attempt a positive one, if he has previously been good he may well see a haynet waiting and walk on as if today never happened, they do tend to remember bad things but if you don't dwell on it and keep trying while it is fresh in his mind he may well be in a different frame of mind.
Make sure everything is as welcoming as possible, put in some old smelly bedding so the newness is covered up and that there is a decent net and feed ready, best of luck.

Gunslinger

New User
Visit site
Sounds like you have a sweet horse who has just had a bit of a fright. Whilst a new lorry may not seem like a big deal to us, it's full of unusual smells and unfamiliar fixtures and an unfamiliar confined space which eliminates his 'flight' option once he's in.
I would go back to basics - baby steps, short sessions approaching and re-introducing the vehicle, rewarding every positive move....most importantly, give him time. As long as you end up a bit further along than where you began each time, I'd consider it a win. Might sound a bit long-winded, but in my mind its worth the investment to maintain and build the trust that it sounds you already have with your lad. Good luck!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Time and patience I fear.....sounds like a real spook.

Why not get him to just stand near the ramp, soothing and chatting....then put his supper on the wagon...if he doesn't go on he doesn't eat.....there's always breakfast....

It's the sort of thing where spending time getting a calm and measured fix will save it becoming an eternal issue!

little_critter

Visit site
Sounds like you have a sweet horse who has just had a bit of a fright. Whilst a new lorry may not seem like a big deal to us, it's full of unusual smells and unfamiliar fixtures and an unfamiliar confined space which eliminates his 'flight' option once he's in.
I would go back to basics - baby steps, short sessions approaching and re-introducing the vehicle, rewarding every positive move....most importantly, give him time. As long as you end up a bit further along than where you began each time, I'd consider it a win. Might sound a bit long-winded, but in my mind its worth the investment to maintain and build the trust that it sounds you already have with your lad. Good luck!

This. I'd go back to square one and pretend he's never seen a lorry before. Time, patience and lots of praise will get him on. I'm sure as he's an old hand it won't take much to get him going on again...but also it wouldn't take much of the wrong sort of handling to really put him off loading.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, we all get the odd thing wrong.

Wouldn't try and get him on today - just forget about it for a day or so then re try. I find that if they've genuinely taken a fright, then to continue just makes a bigger deal of it. As long as you can get him on next time it'll be fine. Plus, right now you're stressed too, whereas in a day or so you'll have had a moment to properly regroup mentally.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, we all get the odd thing wrong.

Wouldn't try and get him on today - just forget about it for a day or so then re try. I find that if they've genuinely taken a fright, then to continue just makes a bigger deal of it. As long as you can get him on next time it'll be fine. Plus, right now you're stressed too, whereas in a day or so you'll have had a moment to properly regroup mentally.

Good advice. Give him and yourself time to calm down.

I am sure he will be fine if you take it slowly but positively.. arm yourself with treats and reward each step in the right direction.

Jules19

Visit site
I can honestly say the attached vid clip has been the most effective and long lasting method I have ever used to load a tricky one. I was there for two hours with my new chap the other day, having tried the bribery, coercion and brute force methods I went back to this and it worked, again. You just need to take a very deep breath and have the patience of a saint, it has never failed. Just do not let them off the hook, no looking off into the distance etc, they have to at least pay attention to what you are requesting. He has walked straight on every day since. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBXYeoe7oA

oldie48

Visit site
Well trainer came to me as I couldn't get to him. After our lesson we popped a head collar on, led him out to the lorry, when he stopped I chucked a little water on his bum and with three goes he went on. Once he realised there was plenty of room for him I saw him visibly relax. We walked him on and off the lorry several times on a loose rope and he was chilled. Trainer says best way he's found is with a water pistol aimed at the heels but a little water in a cup worked just as well. Hopefully I now have my good loader back. I hope this helps someone else as I'd not come aross it before although I've used a water pistol to deter door bangers and hoof scrapers!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Well trainer came to me as I couldn't get to him. After our lesson we popped a head collar on, led him out to the lorry, when he stopped I chucked a little water on his bum and with three goes he went on. Once he realised there was plenty of room for him I saw him visibly relax. We walked him on and off the lorry several times on a loose rope and he was chilled. Trainer says best way he's found is with a water pistol aimed at the heels but a little water in a cup worked just as well. Hopefully I now have my good loader back. I hope this helps someone else as I'd not come aross it before although I've used a water pistol to deter door bangers and hoof scrapers!

Brilliant! Well done and happy times with your new lorry! V jealous

oldie48

Visit site
Brilliant! Well done and happy times with your new lorry! V jealous

Thanks, lorry is a hideous colour (purple) although the young lady I bought it from obviously loved it and has bought a 7.5 which is the same colour. When driving it's only when I look in the side mirrors that I can see the colour, the rest of the time I pretend it's dark blue.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I can honestly say the attached vid clip has been the most effective and long lasting method I have ever used to load a tricky one. I was there for two hours with my new chap the other day, having tried the bribery, coercion and brute force methods I went back to this and it worked, again. You just need to take a very deep breath and have the patience of a saint, it has never failed. Just do not let them off the hook, no looking off into the distance etc, they have to at least pay attention to what you are requesting. He has walked straight on every day since. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBXYeoe7oA

Absolutely! I saw a very similar video years ago and it works! Long lunge line so you have a bit more space and I use a long schooling whip and tap, tap, tap away to annoy the horse. Works every time and you find they eventually want to run up the ramp as they hate the tap tapping! It is NOT hitting! Do not hit them you need to ANNOY them only. Basically you are making their life miserable outside of the lorry/trailer and peaceful inside. Standing still, tap tap, side to side tap, tap - one foot on the rap stop immediately, wait ...... then ask for forward if they go back or sideways, tap, tap, tap, back on ramp stop immediately etc etc

oldie48

Visit site
Absolutely! I saw a very similar video years ago and it works! Long lunge line so you have a bit more space and I use a long schooling whip and tap, tap, tap away to annoy the horse. Works every time and you find they eventually want to run up the ramp as they hate the tap tapping! It is NOT hitting! Do not hit them you need to ANNOY them only. Basically you are making their life miserable outside of the lorry/trailer and peaceful inside. Standing still, tap tap, side to side tap, tap - one foot on the rap stop immediately, wait ...... then ask for forward if they go back or sideways, tap, tap, tap, back on ramp stop immediately etc etc

Good video and something I could have tried as I was on my own. The water treatment that I used with my trainer works on the same principle, I guess. My horse wasn't frightened of the water splashing on him but he didn't like it and it encouraged the forward movement that was needed.

Queenbee

Visit site
Good video and something I could have tried as I was on my own. The water treatment that I used with my trainer works on the same principle, I guess. My horse wasn't frightened of the water splashing on him but he didn't like it and it encouraged the forward movement that was needed.

Oh my, this post makes me chuckle and brings back memories!

When I was 13 I got my first pony, he was part of the ponyclub that Mary King supports before him and and her mother was a very active supporter and participant.

He was a tuss to load and we found ourselves at axe vale PC show with a pony refusing to load a year later. MK's mum came up and said 'Is that Pickles? Fetch me a bucket of water please'

she dipped her hand in the water, scooped some out and chucked it at his rump... bingo! He was on the trailer!!

oldie48

Visit site
Oh my, this post makes me chuckle and brings back memories!

When I was 13 I got my first pony, he was part of the ponyclub that Mary King supports before him and and her mother was a very active supporter and participant.

He was a tuss to load and we found ourselves at axe vale PC show with a pony refusing to load a year later. MK's mum came up and said 'Is that Pickles? Fetch me a bucket of water please'

she dipped her hand in the water, scooped some out and chucked it at his rump... bingo! He was on the trailer!!

Brilliant! Made me laugh too.

Natch

Visit site
Park in his field, open it all up, chuck a tempting feed in there and leave him to it.