I am so so sorry, I don't know what else I could have done...

scheherazade

Visit site
Today I said goodbye to Ziggy, the bestest bravest horse in all the world. Some of you may remember that he had a horrid accident in a stable last December. I tried to make him better, I really did. I got him IRAP therapy and an arc equine unit, rested him for months. He came sound and we got the all clear to start walking him again under saddle. We hacked for hours and hours, miles after happy mile. He was a kind and loving soul who would do whatever you asked – how many horses would you take over a motorway bridge after months and months off? He and his friend learnt the conga in his field behind my daughter, he let me cuddle him while he slept, and he jumped the fence to see what we were up to when we camped in the field. Unfortunately he went lame again and I couldn’t get him sound. The vet came out and reassessed him and said that the joint was degenerating and there is nothing more that they or I could do. It was with a hugely heavy heart that I agreed to put him down, it wasn’t fair to keep him in pain and it was only going to get worse. I am absolutely devastated.

I let my beautiful boy go this morning. I hope he will forgive me. I tried so hard; I failed. I am so so sorry

RIP Ziggy xxxxx

Last edited:

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Why will you need forgiving when you have done nothing wrong! YOu have done the best thing any animal owner can do and you should be proud :)

Keep thinking of all those happy memories you spent together. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel, I lost my prince in December because of arthiritus, we tried everything, eventually after a month of 3 butes a day and still not making him pain free, we decided to let him go.

big big massive hugs xxxxx

Spudlet

Visit site
Failing him would have been keeping him going for your sake when he was in pain, or keeping him going longer and letting him get worse. You haven't failed. You did all you could, and when that didn't work you gave him peace and freedom from pain.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You did what the owners of lucky horses do for them when you come to the end of the road .
In time you will feel better have a cyder hug from me.

babymare

Visit site
Oh hun you didnt fail him. You so obviously loved him and ultimatly showed the greatest act of love allowing him to sleep pain free. please please be kind to yourself though i understand what you are gong through. Look to the sky and he will be there galloping amongst the stars watching over you. A big big hug and remember people are here for you RIP Ziggy xx

hnmisty

Visit site
You didn't fail him- quite the opposite. You made the best decision for him, the decision to end his suffering, and I think that's the most important one for people who have an animal in their life to make. *hugs*

catdragon

Visit site
Really sorry to read this. I agree with everyone else, you've nothing to forgive yourself for, you did all you could and made the ultimate hardest decision for his benefit. He's not in pain and if he could he would no doubt thank you. Share some photos and cherish his memory. Hugs XX

FubsyMog

Visit site
Exactly as others have said - to fail him would have been to keep him going even when he was hurting. You did best by him. And of course put photos up - always love to see them and they remind us of happy times with our departed friends.

fatpiggy

Visit site
You didn't fail him. You were simply beaten by your adversary and you went down fighting. I had to do the same almost exactly 12 months ago when I let my beloved old girl go. I couldn't slow down time and its ravages so I did the only thing I could and stopped it in its tracks. The vet gave her the most efficient treatment there is, a genuine cure-all. Your lovely boy will have met my girl just over the hill and out of our sight now and you can bet she is mothering him already. Never regret your decision, it truely was the right one and at the right time.

scheherazade

Visit site
Last edited:

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
You never failed him. You did the kindest most loving thing for him, even though it hurt so much to do it. It is only us , left behind, who feel the pain, not them. You released him from pain and stress, and if he could he would have thanked you.Take care of yourself xx RIP beautiful lad. Run free whole and well again xx

SadKen

Visit site
What a very handsome cheeky boy. I am so sorry. As others have said, you succeeded as his owner and his friend. You tried your best and were strong for his sake by making the decision to stop any pain at the end. You put him first at all times. That's admirable.

Hugs, I hope you soon feel at peace with your decision and can focus on all the great times you and he shared.

_GG_

Visit site
There is no such thing as failure when a selfless heart is at work and you did all you could for him.

RIP Ziggy and please OP...don't feel that you let him down, you didn't. I promise you that. (((hugs)))

Superhot

Visit site
Wow. You two definitely had a special loving relationship. How lucky you've both been to have found each other, and to have loved him enough to let him go when he needed to. The happy memories will start to come and make you smile again. Be kind to yourself...