I am sure this has been covered many times... How much do you pay for a set of shoes?

Archiepoo

Visit site
my farrier is £60 full set with road nails in swansea . my horse old owner was paying £90 a set in hereford .

Juni141

Visit site
I have to say that, as with many things, it's not always a case of 'cheaper is better'. I'd be very very cautious of changing farriers just because of the cost. A good farrier is worth their weight in gold, in my opinion.

At no point have I said I am changing farriers for cost. I have recently had pony shod for first time this year as off work over winter. The farrier that did her did a fab job and he charged £70 for set. She is due a new set and unfortunately he has been kicked and is out of action... Hence me looking for new farrier to use.

I was shocked by the £26 difference which made me curious to see what other people paid and whether it varied dependent on location etc.

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I pay £35 for 2 fronts and a trim, £60 for a full set.
Farrier does full set for £55 if there are a few liveries getting done at the same time.

I'm in Manchester.

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
At no point have I said I am changing farriers for cost. I have recently had pony shod for first time this year as off work over winter. The farrier that did her did a fab job and he charged £70 for set. She is due a new set and unfortunately he has been kicked and is out of action... Hence me looking for new farrier to use.

I was shocked by the £26 difference which made me curious to see what other people paid and whether it varied dependent on location etc.

My apologies, I got the wrong of the stick. Good luck in your search.

Juni141

Visit site
Thank you everyone for answering! Seems like it is a bit of a postcode lottery...

Had a couple of other farriers recommended to me so going to try them this evening.

I hope everybody has a lovely evening in the sun!!

xx

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Haha!! I wondered how long it would take for someone to come up with a bitchy comment!!! :rolleyes:

Please go away, I have no interest in your opinion. Fed up of the completely unnecessary nastiness on this forum.

Excuse me? How was my comment bitchy?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
I pay £65 for a full set, £35 for two fronts and £15 for a trim barefoot. im in cumbria...thats pretty expensive compared to others theres some around who charge £40 for a full set:O but i prefer my farrier lol

rachi20x

Visit site
£55 full set, £35 for fronts and trim of back feet.

If I had to pay £100 I would be going barefoot, particularly as mine is fairly hardy so could live without.

morrismob

Visit site
£80 with stud holes and road nails with 1 farrier and £65 with as before from 2nd farrier. The cheaper farrier trained with my usual farrier and then set out on his own and I really rate him so he does 3 and usual farrier does 3. Based in kent.

LucyPriory

Visit site
A pair of heartbars in Essex which cost less than £50 to buy including VAT and postage are £250 fitted every five weeks.

Juni141

Visit site
Haha!! I wondered how long it would take for someone to come up with a bitchy comment!!! :rolleyes:

Please go away, I have no interest in your opinion. Fed up of the completely unnecessary nastiness on this forum.

I apologise if you didn't mean what you said in a catty fashion but it read that way to me... Perhaps I should have explained the situation a little better. I had my mare shod very well for £70 last time (at same yard). Unfortunately farrier has been kicked hence looking for new one.

That is why I thought £100 was steep as was done very well previously for £30 cheaper! I wasn't complaining/whining/self pitying... Just felt it was a lot of money with no obvious extra benefit to another farrier doing a good job!

Why spend more money than necessary?! which is what made me curious about what the going rates are and where...

Anyway have new farrier coming next Tuesday who has been recommended by several people in my village for the very reasonable sum of £75...problem solved!

PS I am in enviable position of being able to hack to my vets for jabs, teeth etc- saves a fortune in call out fees!

Dusty85

Visit site
Gosh....it seems I am a victim of the postcode lottery.....

I pay £90 for a full set with road nails and stud holes. I am based in Norfolk

mandwhy

Visit site
60 a set or 40 for fronts in Cambridge, its an expensive area for a lot of things but I think being near Newmarket they price quite competitively :) the other guy I used was 70 a set, the work was not as good and I find this one much more pleasant and professional.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I apologise if you didn't mean what you said in a catty fashion but it read that way to me.....
PS I am in enviable position of being able to hack to my vets for jabs, teeth etc- saves a fortune in call out fees!

No worries.

That IS an enviable position! :)

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I have just called a new farrier here in Gloucestershire to ask him to come and shoe my mare....£96 for a set!!

Now if she needed remedial shoeing etc that might be ok but it sounds like a bl**dy fortune for a normal set of shoes! :eek:

How much does everybody else pay and where are you located?

:eek: Saying that, a friend of mine is paying £50 just for fronts...

My farrier is £35 for fronts, or £65 for a set - Worcs.

scheherazade

Visit site
I'm in Kent and pay £75 for a full set of natural balance (not sure if that makes any difference to cost) including stud holes and road nails.