I am the worst owner ever.

Vickijay

Visit site
She will be fine :)

In Late August we had a chilly (for that time of year) day so one of mine went out with a lw on. It CHUCKED it down for about 4 hours and when I got there she was so cold and shivering that her feet were shaking on the floor! She looked like she was having palpitations!

She was fine, only issue was next time it rained she jumped 5 fences and brought herself inside out of it!!!! Fingers crossed this trait isn't shared by yours!!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Lol, I put mine out in his rainsheet the other day, he's not clipped - it rained all day and when I got him in he may as well have bene out naked for all the good the rug did :rolleyes: although thankfully being a grey and being rugged, as leat he wasn't inch thick with mud :D

I have come to our TB shivering in the summer during a rainstorm on a cold day when you get caught out, he has a v fine coat and thin skin, but I refuse to leave him rugged constantly as he loves to lie out in the sun. Sometimes weather is just inpredictable and shivering is a coping mechanism, its entirely natural and doesn't necessarily require drastic action imho, at least if they are out they have the option of moving around :)

Fii

Visit site
Well i will join you on the worst owner bench!
On thursday morning i checked on ours and it was cold with heavy mist, came back earlyish from work and it was quite hot, found poor Sully had been sweating under his rug so took it off for a couple of hours.
Next day the weather was misty again so not wanting to be caught out again i took his rug off! It apparently stayed cold and misty all day, you just cant win! :(
Having said, that i would rather he was a bit cold than to hot!

HashRouge

Visit site
I found that rain sheets on a fine-coated horse are next to useless. My Arab is fine with the cold, but rubbish with rain, and generally if she's been out in persistent rain (doesn't even have to be especially heavy) she'll come in shivering if she's in a rain sheet. It's the only time she'll ever come galloping to the gate, usually we get a sedate walk :p. And she got left out rugless in a hail storm by my mother yesterday :eek:. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much - no lasting damage done and at least you know for next time :)

Jazzy B

Visit site
think with this unpredictable weather going to get caught wrong at some point! I got it wrong on Sat i.e. left rugs on would have probably have been okay without!! Still deliberating about what to do today!!! :D

Always Henesy

Visit site
Ah MrsM - you could never be the worst owner. You are very kind and lovely to other posters on here - so I would imagine you are the same with your neigh neighs.
Fwiw - a few weeks back I left my clipped Arab out overnight in his heavyweight
and the bloomin temp went down to -10.5!
He was a shivering wreck when I went up in the morning. I had to put three layers on him and give him a warm feed before he stopped quaking. I felt absolutely terrible. My clipped TB on the other hand was toasty warm.
The stoopid weather is very hard to gauge atm. One minute it's brass monkeys and the next it's positively tropical.
We can only do what we can.
xx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ta folks :)

I'm feeling less pants, but the image (imagined as I didn't see her) of her trying to shelter under a tree with no leaves.... Ho hum :(.

Never mind. Won't make the same mistake again - will no doubt make new ones :rolleyes:

I love the fact that one is always learning in this world of hours, even if my horses wish I'd learn a bit quicker! :rolleyes::cool: