I can’t catch my horse

Squeak

Visit site
What's your set up with the companion? Is he yours or on loan etc? It sounds like he might be a main issue especially if he has a history of it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They are on grass livery. There is no option of stables. So they live out 24/7.

It’s only mine and the companion in this particular field.

He has always had a very strict routine. But sadly I’m at the yard on my own most times as everyone here keeps to themselves.
OK, That's a good thing, if there are loads its really impossible. Can you catch the companion and take it to the gate? Maybe take a friend with you and get them to stand outside with it ( probably need to run it past the owner!)
Would your horse mind being left alone- or are there horses around in different fields?
Your so lucky to have found 24/7 turnout but Its a definite issue with difficult to catch horses :(

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
What's your set up with the companion? Is he yours or on loan etc? It sounds like he might be a main issue especially if he has a history of it.

Basically his former yard wasn’t suited to him as they closed fields for the whole of winter. So his owner knew I needed a companion and is paying for him to stand with my boy.

So he’s not on loan perse as I don’t pay for him.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
OK, That's a good thing, if there are loads its really impossible. Can you catch the companion and take it to the gate? Maybe take a friend with you and get them to stand outside with it ( probably need to run it past the owner!)
Would your horse mind being left alone- or are there horses around in different fields?
Your so lucky to have found 24/7 turnout but Its a definite issue with difficult to catch horses :(

The companion is the issue. I can’t get near him. And then he runs off so my boy is like ohhhh must follow. His owner doesn’t mind what I do with him. I’m lucky in this regard. She just wants a safe place for him to live out.

There are horses in adjoining fields but the fields are so big it’s like having your own land and unfortunately Zulu fence walks when he’s on his own. He’s an anxious horse. And I can’t have him walking off his weight. He’s fine if a horse is next to him though (as in if I split the field which is the plan this weekend).

Weirdly I got a message from someone at the yard just now to say his leg clip came undone on his rug and she just walked up to them, did the rug, fussed them and walked away. When I can’t even get near him!!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Unfortunately field mate is even worse! However his owners friend is coming down tonight so hopefully she can get hold of him.

Sadly they still have to go back into the 4 acres as it’s impossible to do fencing in this weather and as I’m on grass livery, no access to stables.

And I did cry…I called non horsey hubby in tears…

I’ve reached the stage of offering him for free to anyone who can catch him 🤣🤣🤣
If the field has been rested and the grass is good they won't want to come in, just stop all hay and bucket feed and once its eaten down thet will come in, hopefully neither are a laminitis risk.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Thats a good update, I am really pleased for you. I would personally hate a hard to catch horse. Mine runs to me and waits for me 😂😂 even the new one.
But when my friend at the last yard had a brainwave to share turnout duties. I ended up telling her no thanks. Her little companion pony was a little poop to catch, not on the sunny dry days, on the howling gales and rain days. Twice an hour each time, I did it and ended up leaving him on his own in the rain. That was enough for me . He wasnt bothered in the slightest but not a chance I am chasing about for someone elses 😂

zandp

Visit site
No advice really, as you're doing everything I'd suggest but I shared a lovely cob in Kent years ago, I'd spent weeks failing to catch him as he took off round fields and one day went down 7am with a book and some carrots. It was raining hard that morning and he did his normal routine of trotting ahead of me, whirling round me and disappearing off with the herd. At about 10am I was starving so sat under a tree for shelter from the downpour and ate a carrot to stop my hunger pangs. Horse heard the crack of the carrot, came trotting over and put his nose into his head collar like an angel, never had quite the same problem with him again.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Not catching is a total pain in the @rse and I refuse to tolerate it. I've found correct and persistent "walking down" to be pretty foolproof, but you do need them in a field which is a reasonable size, not zillions of acres, and you do need time and the right mindset, on a day that you don't NEED to catch them. My old boy wouldn't be caught when I first had him, but I walked him down for a couple of hours and he never tried it again with me (although he was always picky about other people catching him, and they got one attempt only - a fumbled headcollar meant "Adios, sucker.") My youngster occasionally tries to avoid being caught but she knows the score and only lasts a minute or two. She's too lazy to go far!
Glad you got sorted OP!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Brilliant! Glad to read a positive update. :)

I can totally feel the pain though, I owned a Welshy from a youngster that was always extremely good to catch until he had a new field mate which was the same as the cob in your situation. Person walk towards them, cob would run and my Welshy would copy!

Horses eh!