I can’t make up my mind if I want to buy a horse or not…

fredflop

Visit site
Ok…. So daft posts of “just buy the horse anyway” alas probably aren’t much help in this situation!

Not really been on the lookout for a new horse, I need to save money. Was helping a friend horse shop, and came across one I really, really like. The decent yard next to my house has room… all seems to easy.

However I sold my last horse as I really needed to save some money… which I have done, but not got thousands in the bank. (Savings account has paid for my expensive car repairs over the past two months.)

I keep on going from eff it… I’m having the horse, I want it! To the more sensible part of me that thinks it’s a complete waste of money.

Does anyone eise get like this? No idea what I should do! (Apart from hope the horse fails the vetting!)

fredflop

Visit site
I’m very much of the mindset (nowadays) that putting oneself in a precarious financial position to have a horse is really not sensible.

It’s not the buying, it’s the ongoing (huge) financial commitment.

Plus, look at the weather outside today!
Fortunately I am on considerably more money than when I last had a horse so I can afford it without making myself penniless

setterlover

Visit site
As someone who has had horses for over 50 years I would say think long and hard .
We have 3 left now one is 24 one is 21 and one is 17 and these will be the last the commitment in money and time plus cost of animal care to go away is horrendous.and we keep them at home on our own land .
When down to the last one that one will go onto retirement livery.
Why not take a loan particularly from one of the animal charities WHW blue cross etc )that way if financial circumstances change the horse can go back. Or a share if you can find one locally.
We have already decided no dramatic intervention such as colic surgery etc ( given their ages) and I dread needing a vet as due to horrendous cost of vet insurance they all only have third party insurance..

Backtoblack

Visit site
Difficult one to advise on THB. Do you want to go with your head or your heart? Which is more important to you, being on a sound financial footing with a nest egg or being a skint horse owner? Having a horse doesn't necessarily mean not being able to save likewise not having a horse doesn't necessarily make saving easy,theres always something to spend money on. If horse owning would leave you in serious financial difficulty for a very long time then probably not having the horse is wise. However if this isn't the case then the privilege of horse ownership could be yours.

Birker2020

Visit site
I’m very much of the mindset (nowadays) that putting oneself in a precarious financial position to have a horse is really not sensible.

100% Amymay.

I have more than enough for a decent priced horse now but I want another 2 or 3k so I don't have to scrimp and save and do everything on a shoestring.

i want to buy a new MIPS hat, I need to replace a number of rugs and buy a load of shavings and pellets for the next one, so I'm ahead of the game. i want 12 months of insurance premiums saved. And also have enough money so that I can have lessons, go to camps, competitions and have money for Lari's expensive tastes in rugs at retirement livery as he's still a massive commitment too.

Hopefully be all in place to start looking in the Spring!

OP I've seen plenty of 'really super for me' horses for sale, the last one down in Devon who I decided not to pursue in the end. I get whimsical when I visit Lari at retirement and then start looking at horses on Horsequest but I need to rein myself in until the times right. More will come along when the time is right for me.

This Xmas period marks 3 years since I had to stop riding Bailey before pts 6 months later. Oct 2023 marked two years of owning Lari, managing only 15 rides before being thrown off and him being retired with unfixable issues. I've been nothing but patient. I guess I can wait a few more months 🤣🤣 and so can you OP!!

Save your money and be sensible.

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
It's a really hard one. If you're now earning more so that you can still be saving/ comfortable and have a horse then I think it does change it and I would go for it. If you were going to put yourself in to a precarious financial situation that would be entirely different.

I also think there's a lot to be said for the fact that you can't take your money to the grave with you. It's so hard to find the balance between being sensible and having money in the bank to living and enjoying life. At the end of the day we do need some pleasure in our lives and something to make all the hard work worth it.

Eta I also think how hard it would be find to another horse that would suit you and do what you want as well as a space at the yard should be taken into consideration. If both of these are easy then debatably you could wait another couple of months and have more of a financial buffer but if they are hard to get and you would start looking in a couple of months then you'd potentially start losing money by having to pay to hold a stable and waste petrol money and time by travelling to view other horses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My first thought was 'it's a big commitment of both time and money' but on reading your post it does sound as if everything has come together at the right time. If you haven't tried the horse arrange to do so asap and take it from there, if you have tried the horse and liked it, I would arrange a vetting. Your financial position sounds better than previously.

fredflop

Visit site
Have been to see the horse and it’s suitable for my needs. More of a “project” type… but I don’t have any transportation so something to keep me busy at home would be good!

Livery yard also has the option to switch between diy livery, and all options ranging up to full. So should I need to save money, the type of livery can be changed. (Will be starting off with full due to awful weather and busy at work for the next few months.)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

Exactly. I'm so much more relaxed and happy now I'm not struggling for money each month due to having a horse. Used to be soul destroying thinking I'd done ok on a month then discovered there was yet another horse thing that came up. I don't miss the chores and have ridden once since I gave up. I can contribute more to the house in the cost of living increases.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
If in doubt....do nothing. You are having doubts, so maybe the timing is not exactly right just yet. What would happen if the yard proved to be unsuitable, and you had to travel? Would it be an issue? Afraid I am another who has owned the family horse for 21 years, and whilst I wouldn't change anything, it is a huge commitment.

JoannaC

Visit site
Sometimes things fall into place, i'd go for it as prices will only go up in Spring. if it fails the vet then it wasn't meant to be. When I bought my first horse as an adult I actually ended up better off and much healthier as instead of going out every night drinking and eating I was spending my time with my horse.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I saw one photo about ten years ago of a cracking black cob type gelding trotting across a school, in a prelim test with a pro who was selling it on behalf of a family. I didn’t enquire about it (had my own riding horse at that time) but have never forgotten it, and alway wish I had enquired! So I say go for it!