I can feel my Shetland pony's ribs - never before.... should I be worried?

SpruceRI

Visit site
I know this sounds stupid - as as for 'fat scoring' you should be able to feel ribs but not see them.

But my shetland, whilst rotund in the past has never been a real chunker as I'm careful with his diet, but even so, his ribs were hard if not impossible, to feel.

Anyway, he's 22yrs old this year, has melanomas in a lot of places, but is a cheerful little soul.

He's just had his teeth done, and there were a few sharp bits, but nothing awful or so I'm told.

But I've noticed he's dropped weight a fair bit.... and I can feel his ribs even through his 5" thick fur and he's now got a boney wither - withers were something else he never had years ago - which is why all his saddles ended up on his head unless he wore a crupper!

He also had his flu jab 2 weeks ago and it really made him ill. Stiff in all 4 legs but very lame in the leg nearest to the jab site. But also depressed - and quiet, this is not him at all!

I thought that maybe the jab had brought on Laminitis, but thankfully after 10 days, nothing materialised, he came sound and is back to his chirpy little self.

He has fat pads above his eyes - always has had. And wees a lot, always has done.

I'm always mindful of both Laminitis and Cushings....as I know the above can be 2 indicators of Cushings.

Is this dropping of weight an age thing in Shetlands? He's the only Shettie I've ever had so I don't know whether this is the norm?

I know 22yrs isn't old for a Shettie, but he wasn't expected to make it to 20yrs old with his horrendous growth (on his muzzle)

Thanks

Last edited:

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
SRI, I'd put money on Cushings. You can log onto talkaboutcushings.com and register your pony for free and download a voucher to hand to your vet which gives £15 off the lab test for ACTH (Cushings). Total lab cost only about £25 but vet charges on top of that.

millimoo

Visit site
Definitely sounds like Cushings...
Also effects the immune system, and jabs are to be given with caution, as is wormer (worm counts, and worming as appropriate is better)
As per previous post, get a Cushings test, and also get a liver check too at the same time, as weight loss can also indicate liver problems. IMHO I'd be betting on Cushings. My Shetland was diagnosed just under a year ago, but he didn't have obvious signs. Weve now had 3'blood tests since March, and the Prascend has put himmback in the normal ACHT range

Goldenstar

Visit site
I aggree with the other posters it's time for a visit from the vet it's does sound like cushings best to know just call the vet out.

TGM

Visit site
I must say it does sound very much like Cushings - I've had two with it and both have lost condition along their toplines, plus had the fat pads over the eyes.

Visit site
I suspect it may be Cushings. Don't get stressed though. As long as you give your Shetland loads of love and attention then he will enjoy his life. Make sure you attend to all of his needs etc. He is just probably starting to feel his age a bit but you need not worry because I know a 30 year old shetland who is a bit of a beast out on walks! etc.

brucea

Visit site
But on balance, being lighter will help him with both laminitis and the symptoms of cushings.

you should be able to feel their ribs - I'm keeping mine a lot lighter this year and they are much better or it.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
time for a blood test i think! if testing for cushions you can download a £15 voucher from boehringer Inglelheim the manufacturers of prascend (funnily enough!!) think the website is "allaboutcushings" or similar. at his age he is likely to show signs of cushings or EMS.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Thank you all

Having been on the TalkAboutCushings website, it does sound very much like that is the issue.... I sort of thought they HAD to have ultra hairy coats and be obese, not be losing the weight to have Cushings.

Can anyone direct me to the money off voucher for the Test? I can't find it on either the Boehringer or TAC website?

I am stunned that such a high percentage of horses are expected to have Cushings issues once they reach a certain age.

Having been on that website, I realise that a mare I 'borrowed' 17yrs ago to keep my then youngster company, had the condition, as she had a coat like a Yeti! And she always seemed rather sad however much love and attention she got. Poor Mermaid :(

millimoo

Visit site
OP, just to let you know, Prascend is not cheap, but recommend you get about 10 tablets from your vet, plus a prescription for a larger amount so you can source it online. My vet wanted to charge me £211 for 160 tablets, and I can get the same online for £138,'plus £12 prescription fee.... Assuming you get a positive diagnosis.
Also blood test 6 weeks after starting meds, then March and October to check your dosage until ACHT levels stabilise, then go yearly. Good luck, Prascend really will make your pony alot better

SpruceRI

Visit site
OP, just to let you know, Prascend is not cheap, but recommend you get about 10 tablets from your vet, plus a prescription for a larger amount so you can source it online. My vet wanted to charge me £211 for 160 tablets, and I can get the same online for £138,'plus £12 prescription fee.... Assuming you get a positive diagnosis.
Also blood test 6 weeks after starting meds, then March and October to check your dosage until ACHT levels stabilise, then go yearly. Good luck, Prascend really will make your pony alot better

Golly yes - expensive stuff!

Thanks ever so for the heads up on that and about the test. REALLY useful info, thank you.

brucea

Visit site
Perhaps worth trying Agnus castus for a while to see if that helps?

We use the Agnus Castus tincture from Cotswold Herbs with ours - it is a LOT cheaper than Vitex (from Eustace)

Eaglestone

Visit site
If it is Cushings, then you have seen living proof, in seeing my Mots, that the Meds work :D

It would make sense after all the others things he has had going on .... very hairy coat, fat pads, changing shape, losing condition .... even the reaction he had the other day after seeing the Vet, may be due to a problem with his immune system.... also age .... bless him.

However, looking at the Video the other day, he still is a happy bunny :)

Nats

Visit site
The Talk about Cushings voucher offer expired at the end of November last year, which is why you can't find it :(