I can't decide if I should sell my horse and take a break?

hudsonw

Visit site
I love my horse but I'm also feeling bored and financially stretched.
I lost my job last year and although I was quite lucky in finding another soon after, it doesn't pay as much, almost 10k less. I've cut back on loads of things already apart from my horse but it's getting to the stage where I'm really starting to struggle. I'm not sure if my money worries are contributing to my mood but I'm also feeling like my horse is a chore.
I'm fed up of getting up at 5.30am to do him before work and for the last few weeks I've already had a friend look after him at night. Partly because of the fuel prices but also because I can't be bothered.
I love him to bits and I don't know if this is just a phase but I've already written an ad but I'm in two minds if I should post it.
The cash would be handy and pay a few debts but I worry about the home he would go to and what his future would be like?!!?
Maybe a break from horses is what I need to get my life sorted but am I giving up something that when it's gone it's gone and I'll regret it?
I can't loan him out at he doesn't turn 3 until August so nobody will want an extra mouth to feed that they can't ride.
Has anyone else ever given up and regretted it or was it the sensible and best thing you've done?

Tempi

Visit site
ETA - i didn't read your post properly, didn't realise he was only just rising 3. I would definitely sell if i was you.

I also have a rising 3 yr old but mine lives out 24/7 and dosent cost that much. Its my in foal broadmare that costs me a small fortune!!

ROANYGIRL

Visit site
hi so sorry for how you are feeling,

dont give up your horse,i did that many years ago,at first it was quite nice,but as soon as the spring came it hit hard,all the horse riders coming past my house,also you lose contact with your horsey friends aswell,

try and battle through it ,spring is 51 days round the corner hang in there:D

Libbylou

Visit site
Is there an option to leave him out some nights to take the pressure off ! He might appreciate being out rugged with hay.

Rachntabby

Term Time: Manchester Holiday: Stoke-on-Trent
Visit site
Its a shame that you cant loan him out, I was in a similar situation to you about 2 years ago.
I was halfway through doing my A levels and I had tabby at a livery yard on DIY, I was working PT and trying to help pay for her the best that I could (my mum helped towards the costs) but I felt that having a horse was becoming a chore and as much as I love tabby to bits I just didn't have the time, money or enthusiasm. I decided to put her out on loan to focus on my studies and I honestly feel that I was doing the best thing for her, she's 22 now and her current loan owner is competing on her in local shows and hunter trials and she loves it! If I still had her she would probably be in a field as I'm at uni so don't have the time any more. I started riding again in September after having about 1 1/2- 2 years off and I'm addicted again! Would love to get tabs back but my degree is 4 years long and I wouldn't want to unsettle her.
I found that having a break means that I have so much more enthusiasm for riding and horses in general, and I probably would have more money if I hadn't moved away to uni!
The decision is up to you at the end of the day :)
Good Luck xx

Headpiece

Visit site
Perfectly normal to feel down at this time of year.

You could go ahead and try to sell him, and see what happens. It might depend on how much you are asking.

As has been said, your youngster could live out which would be cheaper and save you time for the moment at least. Practically speaking, selling him at the moment would be hard, horses are not selling, and if they do, it wont be for much.