i could cry, he's been sold AGAIN

Rhodders

Visit site
This is why I backed out of selling my horse, fear that he would end up shunted from pillar to post. In all honesty I can't afford to keep 2 but can't sell my youngster either because someone will just think they can buy back and sell on, so looks like I'm well and truly stuck with head firmly planted in the sand thinking something will come along and make it all ok :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes it can be enforced so long as it complies with the requirements of formal validity for contracts in England. All the contract would cover is the seller's right to be offered the option to re-purchase the horse whenever the buyer decides to sell. It does not guarantee the seller the right to buy the horse, only the right to be offered it. So if the seller then refused the price offered by the buyer then the right would lapse and no longer be enforceable. If the buyer then sold the horse on, the right would not be enforceable against any subsequent buyers without a separate agreement with them. The contract might contain a fixed price option, but it is highly doubtful that any buyer would agree to that. Therefore the term might read "at a price to be fixed by the buyer, but no more than market value for the horse" or "at a price to be fixed by an independent valuation expert" or something like that. It's just a case of negotiating with the buyer to agree a suitable term

I have a first refusal contract on one of mine I have to offer him to his previous owner but I set the price can't think a buyer would agree to anything esle, I certainly would not agree to " the market value " clause I would accept anyone esle valuing a horse I owned.

WelshD

Visit site
I'm so sorry OP it must have been hard to find that out.

I don't know why they didn't contact you first, it's a dream sale after all, quick and easy to someone the horse already knows :(
A previous owner of one of my ponies has asked for first refusal if I sell and if it comes to it that will be the first call I would be making

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Once you have sold a horse you have no control or rights to it after completion. Obviously ist refusal options are available.

Yes its sad that he has had a few homes in his short life but he doesn't look to be in harms way or abused so I don't see why your winding yourself up over it.

I sold my mare last year, I know where she is and who has her and I see her at competitions but I would never approach and this is her second home since me. I gave up that right when I sold her, I certainly don't torment myself the way you are doing as everytime I have came across her she has been happily flashing her paces at dressage looking good. And she had had 6 homes before I got her.

Darremi

Visit site
I have a first refusal contract on one of mine I have to offer him to his previous owner but I set the price can't think a buyer would agree to anything esle, I certainly would not agree to " the market value " clause I would accept anyone esle valuing a horse I owned.

I just thought that the term might protect the seller from the buyer deliberately demanding a higher than market value price in order to force the seller to refuse the option. Again, like I said it depends on what the parties are prepared to agree.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You know, horses are bought and sold, that's a fact of life. And not all new owners are horrible, abusive horse-torturers. Would it matter how many homes a horse has had if they were all nice people like us on here? Because the majority of horse owners are just that; of course there are the inexperienced, and the irresponsible, but you/we are not the only ones who can give a horse a good home: some homes might, just possibly, actually be an improvement.................

SadKen

Visit site
I understand. From a buyer's perspective it's not easy either. I'm my lad's fifth owner in his six short years and I do think it's been unhelpful. He settled but doesn't seem to want to make friends with anyone and is quite an angry boy, I think because of the lack of consistency. We've struggled with illness and injury (his) and it's taken a long time to form any kind of relationship. I have until September when I've had him a year to turn things around and get him going, otherwise I will have to cut my losses; tough, as I wouldn't be replacing him, ever. However the first thing I will do is contact his last but one owner who adores him, and if she wants him, I will give him to her. I'd rather he had a good home and if I lose what he cost, it's a price I'm prepared to pay to keep him safe. But I do hope it doesn't come to that!

ex racer rider

Visit site
You know, horses are bought and sold, that's a fact of life. And not all new owners are horrible, abusive horse-torturers. Would it matter how many homes a horse has had if they were all nice people like us on here? Because the majority of horse owners are just that; of course there are the inexperienced, and the irresponsible, but you/we are not the only ones who can give a horse a good home: some homes might, just possibly, actually be an improvement.................

I'm not saying his new owners are terrible nor his last (i know his home previous to me was terrible however) all i want is a stable home for him and I'm just hoping this one is just that!
I would just love to keep in contact with him so i know how he is getting on and what he turns into, i got him as a scraggly 'nothing' and sold him as a nice pony but he was still only 4 when i sold him so he has a massive way to go before he hits his 'peak' and i would just love to see him get there rather than loosing touch with him