I did it! I "proper" clipped Patches this morning!

Patches

Visit site
Took delivery of my new Moser Avalons yesterday. I've been clipper training Patches with an Element trimmer and she had a bib clip with them. So half past seven this morning I toddled out to the field with the new clippers and Patches in tow to test them out.

She had more reaction to the clippers than the trimmers, which I expected as they are slightly more noisy, but they didn't sound anywhere near as loud as they did in the house, when you consider we have the motorway as background noise!

She was jogging in circles around me so I thought "what the hell, lets give it a shot" and touched the clippers on her shoulder. She immediately calmed and stood still.

I have clipped a sort of blanket clip into her, "sort of" in that I only went to the stifle as it started raining (no rain for over two weeks and it rains when I'm clipping!). All her tummy is off, right back to her teats - no reaction! Taken all of her neck off too.

The only downside, if I could call it that, is that obviously they don't cut as close to the skin as the trimmers so she has this bald chest AND a "sort of" blanket clip!

Patches is currently short for Patchwork Quilt!

In conclusion....I'm very happy I bought the Avalons now! Ended up having to hold the battery pack though as every time I stretched to do up her neck it fell off the belt strap. Made holding the lead rope, clippers and battery pack a bit awkward. Need to have a think on that one before next time.

Happy Patches, happy Clare
grin.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Congratulations! I have the avalons and they are great. I persuaded my friend not to sedate her horse this year and for the first time since she owned him we were able to clip him without any trouble.
I have the same problem with battery pack, I find putting it in a large pocket of your jacket/overalls is the best solution.

fairhill

Visit site
Well done!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

It should be even easier next time - I'm sooo pleased your training has paid off - you're an inspiration to the other folks with clipper phobic horses.
I did mine for the first time the other week, and the first time without sedation for her - it's a wonky chaser, and took me 3 evenings to finish off under the belly... But I couldn't stop grinning afterwards
grin.gif
Not sure my mum was quite as pleased - it's her horse
blush.gif

Patches

Visit site
I was thinking coat pocket might be a better idea, thanks for that.

Until three weeks ago Patches has never been clipped without veterinary sedation. I decided, as her coat grows back in a couple of weeks, that I would try and get to the bottom of her phobia as the cost to clip when sedating is extortionate.

Never thought I'd be able to do it this year though. Was thinking it would take much longer to sort her out. Sold my Liveryman Clippers and bought the Avalons

I'm with you now - Avalons are great!
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
Bless, Patches clip is pretty horrendous if I'm honest, but it's the fact that she has been clipped that impresses me...not the wonky lines!
shocked.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Well done, Chancer's first clip is not that exact but what the hell it was his first time and he is baby. The coat will soon grow back and then you can clip it again.

Think you will have to get out the saucepan and make the Cairo Candy for her.

You have done so much with Patches and should be very very proud of yourself.

Patches

Visit site
I have the bag too but it's not for the battery (as I thought it was until it wouldn't fit). The battery loops on the strap but the bag is for putting the clippers in if you stop for any reason.

Oh well, I have several coats with big pockets. lol

Patches

Visit site
I think that's what I'll do in future, jods or a pocket.

I really didn't care today. I was just happy to be clipping full stop. lol

I am very impressed with her. She's such a good girl. Secretly I think she quite likes the clipping sensation after she's gotten over the nerves about the noise. She almost seems to fall asleep.

Bless her.

SSM

Visit site
Very jealous!!!!!!!!! and well done!

My girl still won't let me touch her with my Avalons - happy to have them running while eating (nothing is ever going to stop her eating
shocked.gif
) but put my hand on her with the clippers running in the other hand and off we go - loopy mare - will perservre though

Tempi

Visit site
i brought some livery man arena plus clippers on the weekend and have been on a clipping frenzy at my yard with them!! there will be no horse unclipped by the time im finished!!!!!

im sure patches looks lovely, and obviously didnt object too much once you got going either which is great!

Patches

Visit site
It's addictive isn't it P_G? I even clipped a bib clip in my shetland...just for the hell of it! Poor Shettie!

I loved my Liveryman Arenas, they cut really well. I just needed something cordless for clipping Patches as she's fab to do it in the field, nutter in the stable. I don't mind the compromise
grin.gif

I'd take some pics but the poor girl shouldn't be seen in public looking like she does right now!
blush.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Well done you!!!!

I've got the ginger one to do this week, but she can be iffy with her back legs and he head so not looking forward to it. Making my sister do her own this time, it makes me too ill (allergy).

We are going to clip Ivy but just her chest/underside of her neck to get her used to the clippers... we clipped a couple of shapes out of her bum and shoulder last year and she was good, so we'll try a bit more this year! That way we figure she'll be fine when it comes to really needing clipping.

Well, as long as my clippers can cope with the fluff, she's got a coat like a polar bear!

I'm really pleased Patches was so good (Oh and don't worry about the shorter bits, my small clippers for Asti's head cut shorter than my big ones, but it blends in pretty quick, Asti tends to look like a moth has been at her for a few days then its all even!)

J x

Patches

Visit site
Did you get the dvd with your avalons when you bought them? "approach to clipping"?

If you didn't I seriously recommend you get hold of a copy and watch it. I have taken my clipper phobic, rearing, barging, kicking cob blob to one who stands to be clipped in a matter of days. The proper clip today was just the icing on the cake.

His techniques may sound tree huggery...but they did work. Try your horse outside in the field or school and see how you get on.

Patches

Visit site
Thanks for that J.

In a couple of weeks I'll probably go all over her again and it should be even then.

Mind you, she's being freezemarked on Saturday so the clippers will be out again then! lol

Good luck with your clipping! Goggles and face mask at the ready I assume?

Patches

Visit site
I may brave taking some later if the weather picks up. It was raining this morning by the time I'd finished so I chucked her rug on quickly.

It really isn't pretty at all. BUT.....I have all the time in the world to improve on it. (well once her coat has grown lol)

SSM

Visit site
Yes - watched dvd - hubby lost the will to live!!!!!!! I have tried in the school, the longer the line the closer she can get her bum to me
shocked.gif
So have been doing this in the yard where she can get away from them but not spin on me

Fiona

Visit site
You lucky thing. Am so jealous as I have finally given up on my Wolesey clippers, as are obviously not powerful enough for my 2 hairballs. So my birthday pressie is now going to consist of a pair of heavy duty horse clippers - what a thrill!!! Was out clipping at 8am tis morning but by 9.15 had given up. Now have a grey horsie with cliped neck and head, and wooly everything else.

Photos of Patches would be great, if you wait until the weekend prob the worst of the lines will have grown out, but I'm sure she looks very smart.

Fiona

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck with your clipping! Goggles and face mask at the ready I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'm well 'ard me! I just get on with it and suffer later!

Kind of off topic slightly but anyone got any good ways of stopping hairs getting into your... erm... well upper underwear shall we say? It can get a wee bit irritating!!!

Mind you, I tend to wear waterproofs over the bottom half, maybe I should try a waterproof jacket.... hmmmm...

ann-jen

Visit site
Well done thats brilliant. I've been continuing to try desensitise Jenny since I last Pm'd you and she'll now let me hold the clippers everywhere on her including her neck although she looks something like a tense giraffe with the neck bit! Definite progress though.

Tia

Visit site
Well done!! I knew you could do it!! Just patience and perseverance......of which you have in abundance.
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Thats great news. Ive got the Avalons too, didnt even think about the bag so will check if my battery fits in it. My horse was clipper phobic too and he stood like a lamb last week when I did him.
Did you manage to get the blades on ok? If they arent quite right and sort of click in place then the clipper sounds noisier. I had problems with mine at first, they clipped but werent as quiet as I thought they would be until the great people on here advised me how to do it.