I did it! I "proper" clipped Patches this morning!

Patches

Visit site
Well done! That's brilliant news. I'm really pleased for you. Patches seems more relaxed each time I try her. Very impressed with her.

GTs

Visit site
GREAT NEWS PATCHES. That must be one of the most rewarding experiences you have had with her, I remember last year there was no way in hell anyone was going to convince you your mare could be clipped without sedation. In the majority of cases these things are doable, and things are better for you, for her, and for future owners (if she has any).

My only advice is bring the clippers out regularly, trim whiskers, feathers or the area you just clipped - you have made so much progress this year you do not want to forget it.

Again CONGRATS - you do not know how happy I am for you!!!!

Patches

Visit site
Thanks Tia.

I'm really pleased with Patches. She has certainly become to realise that sometimes it's easier and less stress to actually deal with your fears and rationalise them.

I'll try and take some pics in a bit when I bring her in. Now try not to laugh....it's not pretty! Damn the rain for coming down when I was having my "moment"!!!! Grrrrr

Patches

Visit site
Thanks GTs. Means alot to hear you say that, given our "debate" on the matter last year
grin.gif

I'm afraid poor old Patches is going to be bald year round now! I've always hankered after clipping her legs out, now I can!
tongue.gif

I know it sounds very smug of me, but I honestly and truly think anyone can achieve this. I hadn't seen a horse react as violently as Patches did to the clippers (admittedly having my horses at home I don't see many other horses) and yet she can be clipped given the correctly training and environment.

I honestly think that if she can, any horse can! I was very sceptical that it'd work, worried about my own safety initially, but it's paid off.

She has to be happier for it too.

GTs

Visit site
It is so much better for everyone - she is happier, both of you are safer, and it just makes enjoying her easier.

So on to finding her next fault and correcting that - you have momentum now.

Weezy

Visit site
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!

I have Avalons too and I am sure they are brilliant for nervy horses - I clipped Chico with them and he didnt bat an eyelid tho I am sure if I had approached him with some big noisy Listers he would have freaked!

SOOOOOOO chuffed for you and I do hope you feel suitably smug!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Massive congrats! it must be fantastic!
i wish all happened so quickly with my mare
frown.gif
tried desensitising twice a day every day for 4 weeks to no avail, ended up having to sedate to whack it off as she was getting far too hot to ride (Dont even try to give me grief GTs, you dont know how hard i worked), but i am continuing the practising. wish me luck! i hope i can achieve the same as you at some point!
LW

Patches

Visit site
DSC00160.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

You can see that her previous blanket clip, done on 5th October, is still visible around her quarters. Only clipped to the stifle today...rain came down suddenly whilst clipping.

Her chest and lower neck is far shorter but in a couple of weeks I can even everything up with the Avalons. Tidy up the wonky lines! Her front legs are particularly bad from a botched attempt with the trimmers on Monday
blush.gif

The thing I need to focus on here, is that I managed to clip so much off and she was neither sedated nor had cotton wool in her ears in the process.

I'm so proud of her.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm so proud of her.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm soooooo proud of you!!!! Don't you just feel fantastic!!
laugh.gif

Alibear

Visit site
1) Very well done I am impressed you'll be turning into a pro clipper now
2) That's a very nice looking clip ok so her bib bit still shows but it will merge in over time and at least it's not all pathcy or liney like lots you see

you should be dead proud of yourself

Patches

Visit site
Awwww thanks Tia.
grin.gif

I am chuffed to bits, but it's all down to Patches, not me. Anyone could've achieved what I have with her.

Tia

Visit site
Not so my dear! As has been clearly documented on another thread.......

YOU are the one who took the initiative, YOU are the one who considered the alternative, YOU are the one who had endless patience, YOU are the one who had the time to give her what she needed........

......not her, but YOU! Take the credit and wallow in it because, my oh my, you blooming well deserve it!

Patches

Visit site
Bloody hell Tia! You have a fantastic ability to make me blub!
blush.gif

Ok, so I do feel a bit smug, and I am guessing rightly so. I'm also incredibly flattered by your comments.

But.... in reality all I did was show Patches a different way of confronting and then dealing with her fears. Yes, it was ME who did it with her, but it wasn't rocket science. Any fool could have achieved the same results if they had tried. (I say fool in the sense that I am no horse whisperer...I'm just a regular Joe Bloggs horse owner who opened their mind to another method of training/dessensitising). Actually, I'm only a novice owner and have owned horses less than three years and infact it was three years today that I had my first ever riding lesson.

Patches

Visit site
Good luck Live_wire.

I didn't think it would happen this quickly (indeed wasn't sure it would ever happen) with Patches. I have a feeling that if I put her in the stable today and turned the clippers on, she'd rear again.

The key for Patches was to take her outside. Not sure what else I could've done to help her, luckily it worked for me. I'm sure your clipper training will work for you in due course. My goal had been to be able to clip her this time next year. I'm flabbergasted that my goal was achieved in a few short days.