I didn't make it..

X

xspiralx

the riding team that is - not the A, nor the B team [or even reserves].

I do feel a bit hard done by in all honesty - the impression I got at the time was that unless you were one of the "in" group you really didn't have a chance - there were at least 3 people "trying out" who were members of the A team last year, and 2 of those were helping to judge, and pick horses for people as well.

I got two of the more difficult horses, a 17hh showjumper for the dressage, and a 14.3hh cob for the jumping - I felt I did well with both, and without meaning to be arrogant, I honestly thought that they both went better for me than they did for the other girl who was riding them - except she happened to be a BHS instructor...and she made the A team.

Was also a bit disappointing that the jumping was really basic and only 2ft3/2ft6 - there were a few people trying out who hadn't jumped for ages or really only did dressage, and considering in competition it would be 3ft+, it would have been good if they'd really tested the jumping ability of people.

Anyway I'm just feeling sorry for myself, just totally gutted I didn't make even the reserves for the B team [15 tried out and 12 got places on the 2 teams] - I really thought I was better than that.
frown.gif
frown.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I'm sorry you didn't get selected, but it shouldn't make you feel bad about your riding! It does seem as if there might've been a touch of favouritism and as you say, if the jumps had been a bit higher there might've been a few shocks!! Their loss!!

X

xspiralx

thanks...I'm just upset cos I really wanted to make the team. I haven't been able to compete for ages because of costs and transport issues, so I really wanted to be able to do this. It also seems like a lot of the people who tried out have horses at home they can do whatever they like with - this was really my only shot at doing some competing.

Anyway yeah, I'm just feeling sorry for myself really - very self indulgent!

miamibear

Visit site
Please dont put yourself down. Im sure its cliquey things like that usually are. Its not fair and i would be just as gutted as you are feeling now BUT you are a good rider and dont let anyone make you think you're not.

All those pics of you on Paris, you are WAY better than me (maybe doesnt say much) but they were very impressive anyway, you certianly have the ability just maybe you dont have the right surname or face.

Dont let that put you off trying again!

Chin up hun
grin.gif

X

xspiralx

thanks
smile.gif

It has put me off trying again though - can't try out again until next year and I've just come from riding my own horse and jumping regularly. Next year I won't have ridden for over a year and no doubt I'll be worse - plus if the same people are there, its the same problem!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
don't feel to put out by it as unfortuntetly with quite a few teams it is still very much who you know which i think is appalling hence why when i was involved with selection when I was at uni that we did our best to make it as fair as possible. We even went to the extent of videoing the trials and re-watching them and taking notes etc.

Out of interest which uni are you at? i have either missed you saying or forgotten.

Katie

1928sky

Visit site
I sympathise with you- I din't make the riding team at my university last year. It seemed they had already selected their friends before the trials even took place. Some of the people had barely jumped before but as the one jump was barely a foot they made it over- which seemed to be all that counted! I do BSJA, doing pony club B test etc but felt there was no opportunity to show that my skills were more advanced than some others- we all had to ride on the same rein during the flatwork and no lateral or extensions or halt transitions allowed which was not great considering the horse i was given was very stuffy and stiff as a board! In all honesty I don't think I rode brilliantly and probably shouldn't have made it on the basis of that one assessment but there were a couple of freshers who rode brilliantly and got a lot out of the horses but were rejected. I'm not bothering with riding club this year!

X

xspiralx

I'm at Aberystwyth uni.

It was very obvious that the favoured ones got the fancy eventer types to ride in both phases - I would have thought names out of a hat would have been much fairer re. horse selection.

weevil

Visit site
Why won't you have ridden for over a year. I was in my uni riding club but couldn't try out for the team (doing a PhD so didn't get the time off) but I still had lessons and the club organised fun competitions for those who weren't on the team, as well as organising regular hacks.
It might be worth trying to get more involved in the club so that they "know" you next year.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Aww dont beat yourself up about it, my riding team was very weighted as well when it came to selection, although more fair than yours sounds, because we trialled on our own horses. x

MillionDollar

Visit site
Oh don't get upset! I ve seen loads of pics of you riding and seriously you're a million times better than i ever will be and you are A LOT better than millions of riders, honestly! I really think that this situation was a "who you know, not what you know"

X

xspiralx

I don't think they really do fun competitions - as far as I can work out its only a question of organising your own group lessons [£12 a pop] if you're not in the team, and not only is that more than I want to pay, but I don't think the instructor [the one who rode the same horses as me] would be any good.
Without meaning to sound arrogant or anything, I don't really think I would get a lot out of group lessons - I really was interested in competing as that's what I haven't been able to do for ages.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Without meaning to sound arrogant or anything, I don't really think I would get a lot out of group lessons

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you would surely.....you'd have the opportunity to ride.

[ QUOTE ]
I really was interested in competing as that's what I haven't been able to do for ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the other people have had this experience so maybe they are a bit more "up" on competing?

Regardless of what the reasons were, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't successful. Maybe you could look around for a stables locally which offers hacking or hirelings?

chestnutx

Visit site
Hi Spiral

The exact same thing happened to me back when I was at university (Southampton) and they only picked their friends!! Not fair but seems common. I would agree that if you get involved in the riding club you'll have more chance next year.

Weezy

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Sarah but dont be battered down - a group lesson can be an excellent way of learning as you can watch other people remedying their mistakes as well as your own
laugh.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
not had experience with them so can't comment.

As for names out of a hat we didn't do that BUT we had every rider ride to two on the flat first and the second horse we tried to be as different from the first as possible so we could see them on different types. The jumper they rode was then done according to how they had ridden the flat horses.

Personally i would keep sticking your oar in within the club, take part offer to help at comps etc and become 'known' then who knows for next year!

Also get in contact with the team captain and ask for reasons why this year they didn't feel you were suitable, so that of course you can improve for next year. if they can give a clear structured answer great you know they actually thought about the reasons for you not being included, if they don't then you can go err thats not right and if in a real foul mood go talk to the AU
wink.gif

pixie

Visit site
Really, don't feel bad at all, it was the same at my old college. All the people on the team were the people who kept their own horses at livery at college and were very cliquey with the yard staff and instructors...

emma69

Visit site
Unfortunately that is how uni teams tend to go - on the plus side, several of them will leave next year leaving the spots free - and several of them will drop out before this year is out - especially if they are 3rd years and exam / diss pressure gets to them! I rode for the Uni in my first year, but only by virtue of the fact I had been teaching the Uni team for the previous year, the rest were picked by the captain and her friend, and first years didn't get a look in! However, the team changed riding schools, and a couple of the 'star' riders were used to pretty easy horses - these new ones were much rougher round the edges, obviously didn't have the word 'dressage' in their vocab, but jumped like stags! By the time the competitions started, the team members had changed several times over to reflect who was actually riding the best at the time. You might find that your uni does the same, especially if anyone gets injured, or has slipped a bit over the summer! I would go to the group lessons, they aren't my idea of fun either, but they get you seen, you get to know the 'home' horses which is always an advantage when trying out or doing the home comps, plus you get to ride and keep your muscle tone!

sunflower

Visit site
You'll get the chance to ride (and really very cheaply too) and if you have lessons and get involved with the riding club you'll get your face and riding ability known - why not try getting onto the committee and try to start them organising fun rides - non-team competitions. Plus people may drop out of the team, especially if they feel out of their depth in the jumping etc and this way you'll be known to them.

X

xspiralx

thats the thing though - group lessons aren't organised by the club, and aren't at the local stables - they're held somewhere else that you need a car to get to - I don't have a car.

Aside from that its £12 a lesson, and I really don't want to pay that for something that I don't feel will be of a great benefit to me. I am fed up of just riding - what I wanted was to get back into competing, and it doesn't seem like you can do any of this unless you're in the team.

X

xspiralx

Tia - I might have been spoiled owning my own horse in the past, but the impression given by the riding club is that there is no catering for any riding within the club, unless you book lessons outside the uni. They also commented that only riding at the uni caters for "more advanced riders" and I really don't enjoy "trot on, and then canter to the back of the ride" anymore, which seems to be what you get at the outside stables.

I'm a little bored of just riding for the sake of it - my single motivation for joining the club was to compete and challenge myself, and in the past I have found this very very limited within a group lesson environment.

Tia

Visit site
How about advertising to be a sharer then? Or keeping your eye open for someone advertising for someone to exercise their horses? If you manage to find the right person/horse then perhaps you will be able to compete it.

I can understand the boring old lesson thing - not sure I would like that either, but it would keep your hand in.

X

xspiralx

Yeah I might well go down that route - don't want the responsibility anymore of owning, or even tied to a caring commitment - but might find somebody who wants help riding/schooling.

Don't want to seem condescending about the lessons, I just can't see them being challenging enough to really interest me, and for the money, I personally don't think its really worth it to me.

emma69

Visit site
From what you have said, it doesn't sound like the uni comps are what you are looking for either - they aren't the same as normal competitions - they are more like pony club type things. Plus unless you make regionals / nationals, I think you only do about 4/5 comps over the year.

Why don't you have private lessons at the local riding school, it may cost a bit more, but you could go fortnightly perhaps? If they have good horses, then perhaps they may be willing to let you take one to a comp? We used to lease out horses for local competitions to our riders and liveries, it wasn't cheap, but if that's what you want to do to get back into comps, you'll find a way. Or if they have liveries at that yard, they may be willing to let you compete in a class in a show they are going to anyway in return for help grooming?

X

xspiralx

thanks - I may look into something like that, see what the options are. Just feeling a bit down about it really, thought I was better than that!

Tia

Visit site
Perhaps you are! Who knows why they made the decision they made....no point speculating otherwise it will just encourage self-doubt.

vic07

Visit site
If I was you I would approach the person who selected the teams and ask why they didn't feel you were good enough for the teams and how they thought you could improve for next year.

Also ask of there is anything you can do to help with the team and if someone drops out you are still interested.

They might be so embarassed they will not be able to answer or they may be helpful and constructive.

Hey ho - worth a try though!