I didn't make it..

Penguinboots

Visit site
I didn't even make it to the trials at Bristol this year!
frown.gif
I was a bit put out too, but I'm really looking forward to getting involved with the club and lessons etc. What does your riding club offer appart from the teams?

MagicMelon

Visit site
How could 12 get through to the teams? There's only meant to be 2 teams (an A and a B team) for uni comps? So surely only 8 got through?

I got on the B team when I tried out which I also found a bit deflating when I had far more actual competition experience than 2 of the A team, 1 had never even competed before! I think a lot of the time it is who you are or who you know. I felt quite lucky to get on a team at all TBH! But I think the only reason I got on it was probably because one of the selectors knew me from competing locally so had obviously seen me out and about.

Dont worry - honestly its not worth it! Uni competitions are nasty - the main aim when I was in it was for the home side to choose ONLY the horses that were most difficult that only they knew how to ride!! I remember at one home competition - I rode a little horse who we all knew HATED whips so I didnt carry one. We didnt however tell the other 2 who rode him..... one girl smacked him, he reared up and fell over on her. She was fine and so was he, but jeezus! I left soon after that!!

X

xspiralx

They chose an A team with 2 reserves and a B team with 2 reserves as well, making 12!

Sure it won't be too bad in the long run, but I am just a bit disappointed!

Bossanova

Visit site
Dont be too down- it is an awful job trying to sort everyone out into teams. The big problem is that the comps are so heavily weighted on dressage- so long as you can stay on and point over a fence, you're fine!!

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't even make it to the trials at Bristol this year!
frown.gif
I was a bit put out too, but I'm really looking forward to getting involved with the club and lessons etc. What does your riding club offer appart from the teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a big internal political battle atm with last years comittee and this years. People who were on teams last year and proved themselves were'nt asked to trials this year, it's all going very pear shaped!!!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I would debate your opinion of the competitions. I loved them and there was a really friendly atmosphere including at regionals and nationals. yes there was a competitive spirit but other than the odd team no one took it too seriously. Especially at nationals this was apparent. At nationals because of the format you can be knocked out in the 1st round even though you could easily place in the top 7 of that discipline. I was knocked out one year in the SJ in the 1st round by the eventual winner. It happened that all three of us on the horse did very well to the point we were all in the top 5 style scores for the round. The best girl was the one that won it, next got through as one of the 2 'wild cards' and went on to finish in top 10 and I was 1 point from going through to second round. Was I disappointed? yes but it wasn't the end of the world and I had a great time, as did everyone else! hey nothing better than being hung over for the second round of the dressage and being first on at 8:30am!!