I feel sick

J1993

Visit site
The horse I was having vetted passed today and she is getting dropped off tomorrow, went to sort my stable out and to a tack shop and bought everything apart from saddle and girth. Iv got home, sat down and feel physically sick at the amount of money iv spent in one day and yet to come, stable rent, straw, haylage, dentist, saddle, insurance, vetting bill to pay. Yep, just threw up.
im panicking now thinking what have I done.....please tell me this is normal and i will get over it tomorrow.

fatpiggy

Visit site
The horse I was having vetted passed today and she is getting dropped off tomorrow, went to sort my stable out and to a tack shop and bought everything apart from saddle and girth. Iv got home, sat down and feel physically sick at the amount of money iv spent in one day and yet to come, stable rent, straw, haylage, dentist, saddle, insurance, vetting bill to pay. Yep, just threw up.
im panicking now thinking what have I done.....please tell me this is normal and i will get over it tomorrow.

Yep, and in a couple of months time you'll realise that what you spent in a single session is nothing compared to what you will get through in the year, and the next year and the next one. I always tell people that buying the horse is the cheapest part of keeping one :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Totally normal. I remember that feeling. It's worth it for the enjoyment though. Remember you are buying into a lifestyle not just a hobby. Post pics of your new neddy when he she arrives. Good luck!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Oh congratulations!

Nope, sorry it doesn't get any better.

Once you've started spending £££ on horses and getting drastic with the plastic, there's no end to it.

Sorry but its addictive. No known cure :)

True - Just been looking on the Equitreck website, might start sowing some seeds for a year or so, it just gets worse!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Sorry it's just the start of worry...........

Worry about whether they are too hot or too cold and have they got enough to eat,
Worry about does her saddle fit? Worry about whether your farrier is doing a good job?
Worry about getting colic, worry about having lami,
Worry about whether they are waiting by the gate to come in when you are late from work
Worry about is she happy? Does she love me? Have we got a bond?

Worry, worry, worry.

In addition to that you will find it incredibly difficult to concentrate at work and will be clock watching until you can leave for the yard. :)

However you will get used to it ...eventually :D

Rollin

Visit site
Come on.

I bought my first two horses unvetted, and fitted them out with second hand tack. Just been writing about the first, now 34 years old, on another thread. He has never given me a vet bill in nearly 20 years.

Bought my first set of driving harness in Reading Carriage Sales - good quality and patent for £180!!

It is hard when you start out. Little things like quality stirrup leathers, bridle and rugs make a big hole in the bank account. My first 'breathable' rugs, Shires cost £60 in 1996 but they lasted nearly ten years.

Enjoy your horse.

HBrae2

Visit site
Yes it's expensive, I don't even add up how much my 2 cost me a year (I did start once but felt waves of panic so stopped - denial is a fab thing!) But it's worth every penny.

Remember if you don't have a lot of spare cash that good quality second hand items are usually better than cheap new ones. Ask around at your yard, most people have loads of things to sell and keep an eye open for horsey car boot sales - there are real bargains to be had :) And don't feel you have to have the latest gadget or fashion just because other people do. I', sure we've all got a lot of "new best things" lurking in the back of our tackrooms / lorries that were a total waste of money!

Most of all enjoy her and post some pictures when she arrives. Be excited, you're getting a pony of your own!!!

RAF Rider

Visit site
Don't look at your statements. As long as the hole in the wall keeps spitting money out at you; ignorance is bliss for the first few months. Quantify the damage a year in and shrug it off accordingly ;)

Superhot

Visit site
I think it's like having your first baby. You get goose bumps at the thought of them waking up and needing attention, so it is when you need to go see your horse, the excitement is fantastic, and even though I had my girl for 20 years, I had to keep pinching myself that she was really mine, a real dream come true. Yes, I spent a lot of money on her, but have never regretted a penny of it. The pleasure she gave me over the years more than repaid me!!
Just enjoy, no pressure, if you don't feel like riding, do something else with your horse, but remember, if you wake up at 6.00am, you can go and saddle up your own horse and go for a wonderful ride as the sun comes up. No better start to the day!!! Have fun.

pansy

Visit site
Welcome to a life of poverty :) - I know spend more on horses shoes than my own shoes & I always used to have a thing about shoes xx

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You'll be fine :)

After all, I always tell people that if you can afford to set fire to the money in a car park, then its fine to buy a horse/car/motorbike :biggrin3:

Good luck - photos from tomorrows arrival :)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
It's easy.... save yourself the worry and just set up a few standing orders. Half your salary goes direct to the livery yard. A quarter to your local tack/feed shop. The rest gets divided between the insurance company, vets, physio, dentist....
Seriously though, congratulations. Enjoy your new horse!

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
Its perfectly normal - welcome to the world of no £££ - I think nothing of spending £50-£100 on a rug (another one!!) for my horse, but if I go and look at jackets etc for myself and they cost £50-£100 it suddenly becomes too much to spend and I make do with my worn out stuff.. at least the horse has a choice of rugs when its raining !! unlike my coat currently hanging by the airing cupboard drying out from today ..

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Its perfectly normal - welcome to the world of no £££ - I think nothing of spending £50-£100 on a rug (another one!!) for my horse, but if I go and look at jackets etc for myself and they cost £50-£100 it suddenly becomes too much to spend and I make do with my worn out stuff.. at least the horse has a choice of rugs when its raining !! unlike my coat currently hanging by the airing cupboard drying out from today ..
So, so true. I have a pitiful wardrobe these days. My everyday boots are completely knackered - have holes in, soles hanging off.. I need a new coat and I now use a mobile hairdresser who charges a pittance... yet I found myself thinking I need to get cob a new rug, and a clip and must book the ponies in for a trim and they need clipping too.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
So, so true. I have a pitiful wardrobe these days. My everyday boots are completely knackered - have holes in, soles hanging off.. I need a new coat and I now use a mobile hairdresser who charges a pittance... yet I found myself thinking I need to get cob a new rug, and a clip and must book the ponies in for a trim and they need clipping too.

I tend to cut my hair with nail scissors....and have requested trousers for work for xmas! Can't remember the last time I actually bought 'proper' clothes.....! :eek: I'm good with the sewing machine when it comes to mending!

:p

tankgirl1

Visit site
Haha! I never buy clothes for me except for jods and boots, live on baked beans on toast, juggle paying bills, car often running on fumes - Horse has the best of everything though of course :eek:

lhotse

Visit site
No need to feel sick, you should feel elated that you have just spent a load of money on something you will enjoy. Just remember that plenty of people spend that sort of money every weekend on booze, then throw up, and have absolutely nothing to show for it!!

Nicnac

Visit site
Stand in the shower and rip up £50 notes. How does that make you feel?

That's how it is once you own a horse.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
You wait til you're thousands down the pan-then you've got something to yak over! Horses-the only one rubbing their hands with glee are vets, feed merchants and tack shops!

Mike007

Visit site
Just remember that 99% of what people are trying to sell you,you dont really need,and your horse will be no better for it. Lots of good clean hay ,and fresh water ,a minimum of hard feed and plenty of good exercise(mostly hacking,pootling around a school doesnt count )Use vets but dont trust them entirely, and in general with horses ,less is usualy more. Good luck!

puss

Visit site
I have eleven of them the only way I get by is credit card interest free for eighteen months then change to another one after eighteen months for the same deal and keep doing it. And never open bank statement or credit card statement straight in the shredder make my life happier.

Highlands

Visit site
After buying fencing yesterday.... I nearly needed 999...... Gulp and hand card over..... But I pointed out, if I wanted to sky dive I would need a plane......golf membership and equipment......set up is expensive but 2nd hand and sales! My lot have been knitted out from all over the place... They don't mind!

Hippona

Visit site
Just remember that 99% of what people are trying to sell you,you dont really need,and your horse will be no better for it. Lots of good clean hay ,and fresh water ,a minimum of hard feed and plenty of good exercise(mostly hacking,pootling around a school doesnt count )Use vets but dont trust them entirely, and in general with horses ,less is usualy more. Good luck!

Totally agree....keep it simple.
I have a separate account for the horses, I put a set amount in each month.in theory is supposed to build up over spring, summer and autumn and pay for extra hay etc in winter.
Doesn't work though, have to admit...I have a track and numnah fetish....